RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Trailer module
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

mgriggs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze
Trailer module

Hi Guys,I have a 2012 face lift RRS,I have bought a deadegated wireing kit for the towing electrics does anyone know which trailer module I chose in the setting on the iid tool as the wiring is plug and play and know module as the car is prewired ?

Thanks 2012,Range Rover Sport HSE,SDV6,Nara Bronze,Cold Climate Pack,Memory Pack,Dynanic Pack

Post #519728 Fri Mar 03 2017 5:25pm
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Depends what sockets you have?

Single 13 pin, single 12N or 12N plus 12S?

I'm not sure it matters as I have 12N plus 12S fitted but my iiDTool setting is for 13pin - I never changed it as it worked.

Dennis 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #519729 Fri Mar 03 2017 5:33pm
mgriggs

Thanks,I will try that I have 12n & 12s sockets all work but does not turn off rear park sensors. 2012,Range Rover Sport HSE,SDV6,Nara Bronze,Cold Climate Pack,Memory Pack,Dynanic Pack

Post #519733 Fri Mar 03 2017 6:02pm
insiorc

Unfortunately I'm +4000 miles away from my iiDTool and RRS so can't see the options, but there was something for the twin 12N & 12S. I know that with my 12N&12S and settings for 13 pin, it does cut my park sensors so works well. It was all fitted prior to my purchase, although I intend changing to 13pin sockets.

Just a thought, is your sockets genuine or aftermarket - maybe there's a difference there? Fitted to mine are genuine.

Hopefully someone can point help better with the iiDTool settings

Post #519734 Fri Mar 03 2017 6:32pm
mgriggs

The wiring kit is a Right Connections kit part no:37190512RC for the RRS 09/11 onwards

on the iid tool

Trailer module
• Undefined
• Not fitted
• Trailer module 7 - Position socket with rear fog lamp
• Trailer module 7 - Position socket with reverse lamp
• Trailer module 7 - Position socket with power supply
• Trailer module 13 - Position socket
• Trailer module 4 - Position socket
• 7 pins
• 7 pins for USA 2012,Range Rover Sport HSE,SDV6,Nara Bronze,Cold Climate Pack,Memory Pack,Dynanic Pack

Post #519737 Fri Mar 03 2017 6:43pm
insiorc

With those options I'd choose the 13pin. At the end of the day the wiring from the car is just routed to the appropriate pin configuration in either 13pin or 12N & 12S sockets.

As a separate issue but well worth being aware of:
The PDF in the below link is well worth a read depending on if towing a caravan and it's wiring age, as there can be issue's due to the 12S pins 2 & 4 use changing, but the change is usually done on the caravan - can pose a problem if towed by multiple vehicles..
https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/globalassets...wiring.pdf

Post #519739 Fri Mar 03 2017 7:00pm
mgriggs

Thanks Dennis and I will read the PDF later. 2012,Range Rover Sport HSE,SDV6,Nara Bronze,Cold Climate Pack,Memory Pack,Dynanic Pack

Post #519740 Fri Mar 03 2017 7:06pm
insiorc

I've just realised what you wrote about it working but doesn't cut off the park sensors - can I assume it still leaves your RRS reverse lights on aswell?

As my caravan was 12N & 12S anyway I needed to install a short link into the caravan plug, to give the signal to the RRS that it had a trailer. You need to be careful when altering the wiring as from memory it can cause issue's when towed from various cars with different age wiring installations. I'll try and get time later to go through the diagrams as I'm supposed to be working just now.

Here's a copy/paste from that PDF about the link (easier reading on the PDF).

3.5.16 Sensing Device
The standards for 12S and 13-pin systems include provision for a ‘sensing device’ –
sometimes called the ‘coding for coupled trailer’ function. Some cars may use this
function by monitoring the voltage state of the relevant pin in the towbar socket –
when the caravan plug is inserted, this pin becomes earthed, telling the car that a
trailer is present. The car’s control system can then make changes such as turning
off the car’s rear foglight(s) or disabling the parking sensors, adjusting the shift
patterns of an automatic gearbox, activating a towing-specific programme in the
car’s electronic stability control system, or telling the bulb failure warning system to
allow for the extra lights of the caravan. To work, not only must this function be
implemented in the towcar, but also the relevant pin in the caravan plug must be
connected to earth (by bridging it to pin 13). In principal, the connections required
are as follows, but please read the notes underneath carefully:

Pre-1 September 1998 caravan 12S pin 5 to 12S pin 3 See note 1
1 September 1998 or later caravan 12S pin 2 to 12S pin 3 See note 2
13-pin caravans pin 12 to pin 13 See note 3

Notes
1. Standards suggest that older cars might look for a sensing signal on pin 5, but as far as the
Club knows, this was never utilised by car makers.
2. Newer cars may look for a sensing signal on pin 2. Note, though, that due to the common UK
practice of using pin 2 for battery charging for many years (see section 3.2 and 3.5.13), there is a real
risk of a short circuit occurring if pin 2 in the car is a 12V power supply for battery charging, and pin
2 in the caravan is connected to earth as a sensing device. For this reason, UK caravan makers tend
not to earth pin 2 in the caravan plug. This wasn’t a problem when car makers were not utilising the
sensing device function. With a new car, however, any sensing function may not work due to the
absence of this connection in the caravan. If you believe your car may have this sensing function,
and you are positive that your towbar wiring does not provide pin 2 as a battery charging supply,
then pin 2 in the caravan may be connected up in this manner. If you have a Continental caravan,
pin 2 may already be connected to earth, and you need to ensure your car doesn’t conflict with this
by having battery charging available via pin 2. If it does, disconnect this circuit in either the plug or
socket to avoid a short circuit.
3. No conflicts should occur with 13-pin systems, and it is with 13-pin equipped cars that the
likelihood of the sensing device actually working is highest. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Last edited by insiorc on Fri Mar 03 2017 7:16pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #519741 Fri Mar 03 2017 7:08pm
mgriggs

I only use the 12S socket to charge the battery with the Ctek charger,the parking sensor are a pain when I have the car trailer on and put it in reverse,so hopefully they will turn off when I input the setting with the iid tool. 2012,Range Rover Sport HSE,SDV6,Nara Bronze,Cold Climate Pack,Memory Pack,Dynanic Pack

Post #519743 Fri Mar 03 2017 7:15pm
insiorc

So the 12S isn't used? Just get a 12S plug then and link out the appropriate pins, use it as a dummy plug.

Post #519744 Fri Mar 03 2017 7:17pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

That's assuming the RRS2 does it that way.

Don't forget there is a button on the dash to turn the sensors off.

Post #519922 Sun Mar 05 2017 11:43am
insiorc

RRS2? mgriggs mentioned his 2012 facelift RRS so that was what I was going with, and mine being 2013 I thought likely the same?

To follow up on the sensing link and possible problems with different cars, now having time to read it, it actually mentions it in 'note 2':

2. Newer cars may look for a sensing signal on pin 2. Note, though, that due to the common UK
practice of using pin 2 for battery charging for many years (see section 3.2 and 3.5.13), there is a real
risk of a short circuit occurring if pin 2 in the car is a 12V power supply for battery charging, and pin 2 in the caravan is connected to earth as a sensing device.

So if unsure then with the car running check for volts across pin 2 & 3, which should stay 0v. If 12v, then pin 2 is wired as a caravan charging pin. Checking for continuity between pin 3 & 7 should also indicate the car wiring type if done to standard, as if continuity then newer style wiring, no continuity then either older type or bad connection.

But I can say that on my 2013 RRS I did add the link between pin 2 and 3 and confirm that my park sensors do stop bleeping when the caravan is attached. A dummy 12S plug with pins 2 & 3 linked should do the same for 12N only towing.
I wasn't aware of the button on the dash at the time I was getting my RRS to stop bleeping, and still forget about it now but I guess it's an easier/safer bet if not sure about electrics.

Post #519970 Sun Mar 05 2017 6:13pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Yes I would say the button is easier than carrying a dummy plug round.

Interesting to know connecting 2&3 stops your sensors

Post #519983 Sun Mar 05 2017 7:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1