Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Spec of new shape SE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Topsy

Wales 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Spec of new shape SE

Hi

I have had my 2.7 HSE for 6 years now and I am taking a long time over deciding what to do next. I have thought of defecting, due mainly to a lack of support from the dealer but also as I get old I am getting tighter. I purchased the 2.7 at 18 months old for around half the original price, that isn't something that can be done now (I do get that there are two sides to that argument).

I have however come across a low mileage new shape SE. I know that the new shape HSE doesn't have the standard spec that mine has but; I can't find what the difference between the HSE and SE is. I can admit to never using the fridge or low range. I have driven across mountain range roads in deep snow without the need (Avon Ranger Ice and Snow...incredible). I don't want a TV or screens in the back because nobody ever sits there. I would like decent quality music though.

Can anyone help? Sorry if this information is available somewhere...I have tried.

Post #519759 Fri Mar 03 2017 8:02pm
BigBen

United Kingdom 

I have the new shape SE which I obtained new in 2014 for the very limited period that this model was on sale in the UK. It was pulled by Land Rover after only about 6 months from launch due to their inability to cope with demand and the higher profit margins on HSE etc. The main differences (as best as I can recall) are the absence of flappy paddles (I have big hands and they just got in the way when I tested a HSE) and the terrain response system is the one fitted to the original Sport, Disco & Freelander. I have found no appreciable difference in off road performance between the two systems and my vehicle has coped remarkable well with testing off road trips. I am not sure but I think the basic HSE only has the single range box but the Autobiography has the high/low transfer box. The standard seats on the SE I believe are manual adjustment with less adjustability - I specified Style 2 powered seats and also had front fogs fitted. I am happy with the standard sound system but you should be able to upgrade this as an easy after market fit. The only negative is that it is supplied with 19inch wheels as standard and no one sells all terrain tyres to fit the exact size. So I bought a second hand set of 20inch which will take a General Grabber AT. That said it is definitely a better ride on the larger profile tyres for 19 inch wheels than 20inch and you do not kerb 19inch wheels.

I have been more than happy with my vehicle and it has had no reliability issues after some 33000 miles and I saved about £10k on the price differential but then spent £4k on extras (including panoramic roof). It appears that its resale value has also held up even better than HSE possibly as there are very few of the SE model about (a dealer told me only about 1000 were sold).

Post #519808 Sat Mar 04 2017 11:10am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

In addition to the lack of the transfer case and low ratios IIRC the SE L494 has lower spec radio/audio 380w versus 825w of the 2014 HSE, not sure if the SE had front and rear parking sensors maybe just rear or rear cam. I have a neighbour who has a Chilli Red 2014SE and he too says it has been 100% reliable and more comfortable than the Mercedes E Class that he had before. BTW you may find SE's with the transfer case and full TR as it was an option called the OnRoad/OffRoad pack. I'm not at home at the moment so cannot look in my collection of brochures from the launch of L494 to give you the full spec and I know I have it scanned on my laptop but that is at home too as I now travel with a tablet computer. IIRC the engine output of the SE is the lower power of the two SDv6's that were available at launch, same one as the non-dynamic HSE got then. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #519809 Sat Mar 04 2017 11:43am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
donny dog

United Kingdom 
Re: Spec of new shape SE

Topsy wrote:
Hi

I have had my 2.7 HSE for 6 years now and I am taking a long time over deciding what to do next. I have thought of defecting, due mainly to a lack of support from the dealer but also as I get old I am getting tighter. I purchased the 2.7 at 18 months old for around half the original price, that isn't something that can be done now (I do get that there are two sides to that argument).

I have however come across a low mileage new shape SE. I know that the new shape HSE doesn't have the standard spec that mine has but; I can't find what the difference between the HSE and SE is. I can admit to never using the fridge or low range. I have driven across mountain range roads in deep snow without the need (Avon Ranger Ice and Snow...incredible). I don't want a TV or screens in the back because nobody ever sits there. I would like decent quality music though.

Can anyone help? Sorry if this information is available somewhere...I have tried.

I've still got a brochure with the new shape (RRS2) TDV6 SE in it. I can check anything you want to know if you still have any outstanding queries.

Post #519811 Sat Mar 04 2017 11:57am
Topsy

Hi

Thank you all, that is really helpful. It will be more powerful than mine anyway (and to be honest the power of mine has never been a problem to me, not exactly fast but keeps up with everything else in the real world). I don't care about electric seats as once set mine don't get moved. Mine has 19" wheels and I would like to keep that if I can although I don't think that my spare set will fit the new model. The car is a long way away so I will have a think and perhaps arrange a weekend away.

Thanks for your time, it is appreciated.

Post #519813 Sat Mar 04 2017 12:29pm
Russben

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Hi.

I've attached a link to the 2014 specification brochure. All the info you want listing the different specification between SE & HSE should be in this:

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...ochure.pdf

Hope it helps.
Russ. I'm in the shed, I'll be back in the real world in a minute.

Post #519966 Sun Mar 05 2017 5:40pm
Topsy

Hi

That's great. Thanks for taking the time , I really do appreciate it

Post #519972 Sun Mar 05 2017 6:58pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

Only 4 SEs on LR Approved today... Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #519976 Sun Mar 05 2017 7:10pm
Russben

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

It's a good forum this is. Usually plenty of good info and advice.

Good luck with the purchase. Thumbs Up I'm in the shed, I'll be back in the real world in a minute.

Post #519997 Sun Mar 05 2017 9:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1