RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Can the L494 heated screen have a chip repair?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RRSman

United Kingdom 
Can the L494 heated screen have a chip repair?

Noticed a Big chip in the windscreen today...can these be repaired or does it mean a new glass?

Post #465117 Fri Jun 19 2015 4:45pm
ewerdl

United Kingdom 

Can be repaired, provided not at the edge etc etc.

Post #465209 Sat Jun 20 2015 1:28pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Just had experience of this on a MY13 - told it was repairable on phone but fitter said needs replacing Rolling Eyes

Regardless of this dealer who bought it said they wouldn't want it repaired and replacement was necessary Confused Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #465212 Sat Jun 20 2015 1:38pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Ok so Autoglass came out this morning and said it can be repaired but as there are two small hairline cracks leaving the chip there is a chance the glass may crack resulting in a replacement.

They said exactly the same thing when I had an X5 and the glass cracked a few seconds after they begun the repair process so I never let him have a go at it.

I am going to wait for it to crack and then get a new screen fitted. Problem is that my insurance company (privelige) were a nightmare the last time to deal with as they would not agree to fit an OEM RR stamped screen and insisted on a pilkington glass but gave in eventually after a few emails with the CEO! Can't be asked to go through all that again so soon! Going to wait it out and hope it does not get worse Confused

Post #465221 Sat Jun 20 2015 4:46pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I'm with LR Ins and they sent Autoglass. LR Ins state they will only fit LR parts so I raised this - Pilkington make LR windscreen so they said this would be fitted but it would not be badged LR and was accepatable - I gave up Confused Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #465222 Sat Jun 20 2015 4:50pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Land rover insurance is probably underwritten by one of the usual insurance backers. Surprising they fobbed you off with a non genuine screen. No matter what these autoglass people say the glass without a manufacturers stamp is NOT the same quality as an OEM screen - any glass fitted by autoglass without the manufacturer stamp seems so much more weak and mark and chip so easy!

Post #465318 Sun Jun 21 2015 8:43pm
ewerdl

United Kingdom 

30 months in, and on 3rd windscreen.

Post #509203 Thu Nov 03 2016 1:50am
Humbug

United Kingdom 

First screen replaced just over a year ago after 18 months. New one (OEM, fitted by Autoglass) now has four chips. Seems that the proper screen is just as bad as any other, no stronger or able to withstand being hit by stones. Never had a car get so many chips – whether 4x4 or 2wd: is it the quality of the glass, the angle it's fitted at or bad aerodynamics not deflecting small stones into the airflow? Or something else?

Can't face going through process of changing screen again so hope it holds together.

Post #509226 Thu Nov 03 2016 1:37pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The reason is because they make not only the front screen but also the side and rear glasses from thinner glass. It helps save weight thus reducing emissions and the amount of tax you have to pay.................. would you prefer to replace a screen every couple of years or pay £200 a year more tax? I have a stone chip just below the line of sight on mine, it has been there since the car was 2 months old in 2015 and has so far survived one very cold winter sat out on the drive all night. The chip is small and I haven't bothered to get it repaired. My last RRS also suffered a chip in a similar place on the screen, I had it repaired rather than replace the front screen on a 6 month old car, repair was still there 3.5 years later when I sold the car and I had no problems with the heated front screen, same with my L494, heated front screen works fine even with the chip. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #509227 Thu Nov 03 2016 1:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russben

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

RRSman wrote:
Ok so Autoglass came out this morning and said it can be repaired but as there are two small hairline cracks leaving the chip there is a chance the glass may crack resulting in a replacement.

They said exactly the same thing when I had an X5 and the glass cracked a few seconds after they begun the repair process so I never let him have a go at it.

I am going to wait for it to crack and then get a new screen fitted..... Going to wait it out and hope it does not get worse Confused

I was under the impression that insurance companies won't look at replacement unless a repair has been tried first, unless the chip is large and within the drivers direct field of view, as per MOT standards.

[/quote]Tim in Scotland.
.helps save weight thus reducing emissions and the amount of tax you have to pay.................. would you prefer to replace a screen every couple of years or pay £200 a year more tax?....[quote]

I already pay £525 for my road tax. How much more can it be? I know the L494 is cheaper on road tax. I'm in the shed, I'll be back in the real world in a minute.

Post #509244 Thu Nov 03 2016 6:56pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Road Tax at £525.00 (Should only be £500.00 if paid annually), is nothing compared to purchasing from new, my model MY2012 was £885.00 for the first year only, due to the CO2 being 230g/Km Thud John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #509268 Thu Nov 03 2016 10:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1