Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Any opinions on this appreciated on this possible purchase
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Marky-b

England 
Any opinions on this appreciated on this possible purchase

Hi all,
Looking to change my P38 for either a RRS or Disco 3, most likely both having the 4.4 n/a V8.
Spotted this on eBay, http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&...ID=EBAY-GB
Spoke to the trader selling it and have arranged to have a look tomorrow morning. It's had 2 previous owners, the last one being a long time owner. Can have the wheels that's on it or the factory wheels that it came with.
Quick question from any one who knows, is it likely to have the ARC bar system on it, that's one of the main reasons for staying away from a S/C.
Many thanks in advance,
Mark

Post #497897 Sun Jun 05 2016 4:36pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

If there is a fluid container near the air filter (driver side) then I believe it has ARC

Post #497902 Sun Jun 05 2016 5:17pm
Marky-b

England 

Cheers Andy, will have a look in the morning. Not sure if/when it was standard fitting on a n/a V8.
Mark

Post #497913 Sun Jun 05 2016 7:55pm
Marky-b

England 

No purchase.
The hunt goes on

Post #498028 Mon Jun 06 2016 8:54pm
Andy K

Why. Because it has arc? Or other reason.

4.4 are rare

Post #498037 Mon Jun 06 2016 9:40pm
Marky-b

England 

Hi,
No ARC but that could be a bonus if it goes wrong. Herd to put my finger on it, but seemed un-loved. Some of the top door trims to glass had started to "bubble", the boot trim didn't seem to fit properly, the catch for the centre cubby box was broken. There was rusty stains on the inside of the rear wheels. Looked like bird poo has marked some of the paint on the bonnet. Seemed well specked but to be honest, it's the first one I have looked at, so haven't got a feel for what to expect. Not in a rush, still may go for a s/c,
Mark

Post #498047 Mon Jun 06 2016 10:58pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I think that you will find any RRS with Dynamic Response (standard on V8's and optional on the 2.7TDv6 at launch) will have ARC, it is part of the air suspension system and Disco3 & 4 have it too as do L322 and L405 FFRR's. There were lots of problems with it on Disco2 and P38 but I haven't read anything on these forums or Disco3 or 4 about it causing problems. Are you sure you are not being paranoid about a non-existing problem on RRS? We don't hear about owners rushing to convert their Discovery3 or 4 or RRS or L322 to coil suspension like you read about with the earlier Discos, later Classic RR's and P38's 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #498054 Mon Jun 06 2016 11:29pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Marky-b

England 

Hi Tim,
We might be at crossed terms. I'm referring to the fancy anti roll bar that's fitted to some sports but not disco's. We use the term ARC "anti roll control" at work and we have some equipment for bleeding it. Uses the same fluid as the pas. I'm not sure they can be serviced should the fail/leak? And are about £1000 for a new one.
Cheers

Post #498070 Tue Jun 07 2016 6:52am
Camelrock

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Tangiers Orange

You mean the dynamic ARB why should having this system put you off, sure they can be a problem. Equally you hear of turbo's, oil pumps going etc on other models so do you stay away from them ? The point is just because the car has these systems on doesn't mean it's going to be a problem you only hear about the problem cars.. 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
2018 Discovery 5 HSE lux current
1994 Dakar current

Post #498077 Tue Jun 07 2016 7:59am
Marky-b

England 

I understand what you are saying, which is why I favour the petrol derivatives. I've not discounted a diesel, but as its a second car, the fuel consumption isn't so important.
I agree, most of the time, people only join forums to have a moan and try and fix a problem. This does put a negative image on the cars in question. I know it's a small percentage that have major failures and if you looked on a forum for every major purchase you were considering buying, you wouldn't buy anything.
So my new hobby is scouring the adds on eBay, autotrader, piston heads etc. Very Happy

Post #498088 Tue Jun 07 2016 9:18am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

In terms of choosing a 4.4 over 4.2 SC to avoid the ACE/ARC/DR, the fuel saving from the SC would probably counteract the cost of a replacement. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #498091 Tue Jun 07 2016 9:43am
Marky-b

England 

I think my ultimate RRS would be a S/C in the Vesuvius orange. I was watching 2 a short while a go but wasn't in a position to consider them then. Fingers crossed one will turn up again. I know it's a bit of a marmite colour but I love it.

Post #498095 Tue Jun 07 2016 10:51am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Be very careful with Vesuvius Orange. It is a Scintachrome paint making it almost impossible to respray any damage. Some insurers add a huge hike to their quotes for Scintachrome paint jobs. Also many are wrapped, especially the Kahn versions of RRS as it was a "standard" colour for them. Bear in mind the UK only got a tiny number of the 300 built for world wide sales IIRC UK had less than 100 of the 300, they are desirable so fakes are not unknown. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #498124 Tue Jun 07 2016 4:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Marky-b

England 

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the info. Orange might be off the shopping list now. Still favour the grey or darker red colour. I do like black but I know from past experience what a nightmare it can be to look after.

Post #498129 Tue Jun 07 2016 4:47pm
Andy K

I do like grey and red Cool

Post #498131 Tue Jun 07 2016 5:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1