Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Key cloning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

LG8340

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black
Key cloning

Hi all

A recent enquiry to Lookers concerning reports of thefts of keyless Range Rovers brought a not surprising response.

They claim to be unaware of such reports and that JLR deny there are any known incidents of key cloning.

Is this a new meaning of in-der-Nile? RRS (MY13) Santorini Black SDV6 HSE luxuary
Gone: Evoque, Freelander 2, Mercedes 320 CLK, Porsche 911's

Post #495091 Tue May 03 2016 10:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Definitely Rolling Eyes

My DS has a key module that is tamper proof - if I lose a key I need 2 replacement keys and new module now to prevent scumbags cloning a key. Small price to pay for peace of mind Thumbs Up

I presume all new LRs are same now but not sure when this was fitted from - I know my last RRS MY13 wasn't secure and posts on here about early RRS2s being stolen like this Sad

I can not believe LR didn't inform all dealers about this Confused

Tell your dealer to read the papers

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/oct/...ss-locking

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/business/m...ag-8376073

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33506486

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/pull...79074.html Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #495099 Wed May 04 2016 7:51am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

depends how you look at it

a key is scanned and cloned

or a new key is programmed to be used via the ODB port and a pc

two slightly different methods and the latter is the one that made the news

Post #495107 Wed May 04 2016 9:55am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

IIRC all RRS since 2014.5MY will only recognize the 2 original fobs programmed to it, no other fobs can be programmed to it now which is why it was important to have the security recall carried out. I had an update carried out to my 2014MY Evoque that scanned the ECU for any additional fobs that could have been programmed to the system and after the car had been in I was warned that if I ever lost a fob that I would have to have two new fobs and the module replaced as Muddywheels states so I assume that there was also some sort of software changes at the same time.
There is also an aftermarket method of shielding the OBD Port if you are still concerned, another is to ensure that you don't use Valet Parking services or leave your keys with car park attendants at long term parking outlets 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #495111 Wed May 04 2016 10:42am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
anthony-apl

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

It's the KVM or keyles vehicle module that is being replaced. They are being replaced with a unit that will only accept 2 keys and never anymore. The theives were breaking a window or plugging into the obd port to code a new key in rather than cloning them. The new modules mean that if you lose a key and want a replacement then the job of a spare key which I charge around 160 to do now becomes over 1000 as you have to replace the module with 2 new keys. Being an auto locksmith I program keys to vehicles all day every day and had an Evoque to do this week for a trade customer who bought it with one key. I rang the local dealers and asked them if it had been recalled for the KVM replacement which they acted dumb and said they knew nothing about!! They told me it was due an engine management recall but couldn't tell me what for. Another trader I spoke to a few days after had sent in a vogue to the same dealer for this recall and ended up with his vehicle back with 2 brand spanking new keys?? When asked why the dealer told him that as his old key was looking a bit worn so they replaced it with 2 new ones a as a good will gesture!! 16 model year yulong white autobiography
Bentley continental GTC
2011 VW Transporter T5 Kombi 140BHP with sport line kit for work

15 model year black RRS HSE gone
11MY Fuji White 3.0 TDV6 HSE
Ivory premium leather
Ebony contrast stitching
Extended leather pack
Anigra Wood now gone

08MY Range Rover Sport TDV6 GONE

Post #495155 Thu May 05 2016 6:50am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I have been informed by another DS owner that the new KVM module has already been compromised and sent links to an OBD key learning device and an adapter making access to OBD possible without even breaking window Thud

He has sent the info to JLR and received a corporate response similar to the picture below which did little to give him any confidence in the system Confused

Click image to enlarge

So now it appears the scumbags can once again drive off without your key or the alarm sounding even though we apparently need a new KVM and 2 new keys if we lose one Rolling Eyes

Looks like I may be buying another Disklok and considering aftermarket security system again - blocking or moving the OBD is a waste of time according to the information I have seen Big Cry

It is ridiculous that with a few clicks on the net you can buy this sort of thing and help yourself to a luxury vehicle so easily - it's not just JLR either they have the lot - BMW, Merc, etc Evil or Very Mad Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #495563 Tue May 10 2016 3:03pm
LG8340

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black
OBD blocking

Hi muddy-wheels

Can you kindly share the unwelcome information you have that negates hiding or blocking the OBD?

Michael
LG8340@gmail.com RRS (MY13) Santorini Black SDV6 HSE luxuary
Gone: Evoque, Freelander 2, Mercedes 320 CLK, Porsche 911's

Post #495581 Tue May 10 2016 5:30pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Well received reply today and looks like I'll be upgrading security now on the DS although I think the scumbags will be more interested in RRS imho Sad

CRC@LandRover wrote:
Hi muddywheels

Thank you for your post.

I note your comments and can confirm that we have been made aware of the devices in question and this information has been passed on to the relevant area of the business for investigation.

Please be assured that Land Rover are continuously taking pro-active steps in order to implement new and more robust security features and stay one step ahead of criminals. We would politely advise you to contact your local or preferred Retailer directly should you have any outstanding concerns regarding the security of your vehicle.

A free security check can be completed by any franchised Retailer. The security check will quickly ascertain whether there are any additional keys (above the number of keys the owner/ driver holds for the vehicle) paired to the vehicle.

I can also confirm that all of our vehicles continue to meet the insurance industry requirements as tested and agreed with relevant insurance bodies.

Please see below a list of useful information that can be used to reduce risk of vehicle theft:

- Always try and park in a well-lit area
- Always lock your car and ensure deadlocks are activated by pressing the lock button twice
- Physical /visible devices may also act as a deterrent
- Check with your retailer how many keys have been programmed for your vehicle
- Only use retailers you trust to maintain your vehicle
- Think twice if you are going to give your keys to unknown third parties. Treat your car keys and car like you would treat your credit card

As this is a public forum, for reasons of security I would be unable to advise regarding the specifics of the security systems of our vehicles, however I can assure you, as detailed above that we take such matters very seriously.

I hope this information is of use to you and may I thank you for bringing this matter to my attention.

Regards

Ryan

Starting to think the key with transponder needs bringing back Rolling Eyes Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #495856 Fri May 13 2016 2:03pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Blocking the OBD port, does indeed not prevent access to the necessary systems. It may be a deterrent at present, but as I see it, the more OBD locks that start appearing, the more prepared thieves will be for "other methods"... Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #495865 Fri May 13 2016 3:01pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

"Please be assured that Land Rover are continuously taking pro-active steps in order to implement new and more robust security features and stay one step ahead of criminals."

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Just like they did with the rear lights and spare wheel fiasco, well I suppose they did but if you have an old model they couldn't give a Censored Laughing 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #495867 Fri May 13 2016 3:08pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Do these scum thieves bother pinching the older RRS models like 2012 for example?
As there isn't a great price to be obtained I didn't think they would be bothered, a Supercharged/new and FFRR would be more at risk. Confused John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #495934 Sat May 14 2016 12:38am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Have you seen the price of spares Whistle

They'll nick anything worth selling Sad Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #495936 Sat May 14 2016 1:08am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Guy on defender just had his Porsche nicked Shocked

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic46471.html

Looks like I'm going to need one of these now when I'm at home Rolling Eyes

http://www.fonefunshop.co.uk/cable_picker/...ntion.html

Might be simpler to just get GAP insurance but still load of hassle getting replacement and with the waiting times too Sad Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Last edited by muddywheels on Wed May 18 2016 3:43pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #496368 Tue May 17 2016 11:38pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I'm glad you posted this muddy as the other weekend myself and SWMBO were away camping in the New Forest and it got me thinking that my key was in the tent but the car would have been in range, and what could I buy to stop it emitting a signal, other than parking the car far away.

The point being they could have taken the car or just stolen valuables inside while we were asleep. Shocked

Thank you for the link to this Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #496381 Wed May 18 2016 12:44am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Used to worry me too in the caravan with RRS at side but I thought range was only couple of feet - it now appears I was naive Embarassed

Someone suggested tin foil might work so may try it as an experiment - wrapping key and seeing if door will open with it nr Confused Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #496387 Wed May 18 2016 8:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>