RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > bmw x5 or RRS what is best
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

The XC90 is an understeering FWD pig aided by "some" RWD from a pathetic Haldex clutch. No and no (it's functional, though). Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #476262 Tue Oct 13 2015 4:22pm
rrsrocknrollstar

United Kingdom 

XC90 is not a option iv got my street cred to think about Cool

Post #476263 Tue Oct 13 2015 4:33pm
deano_123

United Kingdom 

TheWojtek wrote:
The XC90 is an understeering FWD pig aided by "some" RWD from a pathetic Haldex clutch. No and no (it's functional, though).

Really? I thought they were supposed to be decent things. I've never been in one before but they look decent and its a Volvo so its bomb proof.

Post #476264 Tue Oct 13 2015 4:37pm
Black Bess

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

For me it has to be the RRS everytime. I did drive an X5 once. It was quick, but that is all I can say about it. The Sport is better in every other way as far as I am concerned.

The thinking man`s Tonka Toy.

Adam..

And the XC90? Really?

(Not the least bit biased)

Post #476265 Tue Oct 13 2015 4:38pm
rrsrocknrollstar

United Kingdom 

might go view this RRS at the weekend if its still there it looks nice what do you guys think.
see link below

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/adv...gcode=visc

Post #476267 Tue Oct 13 2015 4:42pm
TheWojtek

deano_123 wrote:
Really? I thought they were supposed to be decent things. I've never been in one before but they look decent and its a Volvo so its bomb proof.

Assuming we're talking previous XC90 generation: they do look nice ("a golden retriever of a car", as per Clarkson), are quite useful, are of good build quality but they are based on the S80 platform, which is basically FWD with an "AWD" option. The AWD is a simple Haldex-clutch based system which is FWD with rear wheels activated when the fronts are slipping - rotating by more than 15 degrees in comparison to rear (if I recall correctly). The clutch has a limited torque rating and is unable to properly motivate the car when an actual all-time AWD is needed. Same system (actually same part numbers) in XC70, compared to a viscous-coupling based Subaru:

Unfortunately they're also not bomb-proof. While engines are decent, yet lethargic, there are countless reports of gearbox and transfer box failures. This car has the engine and gearbox mounted transversally, which means the axis of the motive force has to be changed from left-right as it exits the gearbox onto the front wheels - to front-back by a 90-deg transfer box fitted into the gearbox. This small unit that allows the propeller shaft to rotate and transfer the torque to the rear via the Haldex clutch is basically made from paper and breaks very easily, even if the car is used off-road occasionally. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---

Post #476314 Tue Oct 13 2015 10:15pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The Freelander and Evoque both use Haldex clutches and run, effectively, as FWD until the rear is required so Volvo is not alone in that. It's not a bad system, per se, as it allows the vehicle to be more efficient more of the time. The problem with the full time AWD system used by proper 4x4s is that it's inefficient and, most of the time, unnecessary. For most people on this forum, the Haldex system makes much more sense as they never go off tarmac in any serious way.

The new XC90 looks to be a decent vehicle - especially if one isn't worried about badge/cred etc. and doesn't need full off-road ability. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #476315 Tue Oct 13 2015 10:32pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

All the Volkswagen FourMotions, Audi Q's, BMW X's and quite a ferw other makes seem to have no problems with their Haldex systems. One thing I have heard is that you have to be very careful with both XC60 and XC90 as well as Volvo Cross-Country cars is that their AWD system is very sensitive to uneven tyre wear that can cause catastrophic transmission wind up, if you have one tyre more heavily worn than the others (or a new tyre on one axle and don't replace the other 3 at the same time) then you will have problems. BTW Freelander, Discovery Sport, Evoque and non- Dynamic RRS's run normally with all 4 wheels driven, but 95% of the drive goes to the front wheels and 5% to the rears and can be varied to have up to 95% of the drive going to the back. For 2016MY Evoque and I think also Disco Sport got "Active Drive" on all models, above 23mph the car electronically disconnects the rear drive completely and the car is solely Front Wheel Drive, according to LR the system will revert to 4WD in 1/300th of a second if any slippage is detected at any one wheel................
From the experience of several friends who have recently bought BMW SUV's and X Series 3 series cars, BMW is not immune form similar issues to Land Rovers with regard to arrogant and useless dealers and less than perfect reliability and quality control. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #476329 Wed Oct 14 2015 9:46am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rrsrocknrollstar

United Kingdom 

its all irrelevant to me anyway as i don't want a volvo xc90

Post #476331 Wed Oct 14 2015 9:56am
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

TheWojtek wrote:
deano_123 wrote:

Assuming we're talking previous XC90 generation: they do look nice ("a golden retriever of a car", as per Clarkson), are quite useful, are of good build quality but they are based on the S80 platform, which is basically FWD with an "AWD" option. The AWD is a simple Haldex-clutch based system which is FWD with rear wheels activated when the fronts are slipping - rotating by more than 15 degrees in comparison to rear (if I recall correctly). The clutch has a limited torque rating and is unable to properly motivate the car when an actual all-time AWD is needed. Same system (actually same part numbers) in XC70, compared to a viscous-coupling based Subaru:

Unfortunately they're also not bomb-proof. While engines are decent, yet lethargic, there are countless reports of gearbox and transfer box failures. This car has the engine and gearbox mounted transversally, which means the axis of the motive force has to be changed from left-right as it exits the gearbox onto the front wheels - to front-back by a 90-deg transfer box fitted into the gearbox. This small unit that allows the propeller shaft to rotate and transfer the torque to the rear via the Haldex clutch is basically made from paper and breaks very easily, even if the car is used off-road occasionally.

You're about 10 years out of date, we've had a few in the family and they're good, trouble free cars. The new XC90 is a fair car if you use it as an SUV and not off-road much. Like 90% of Sports.

Post #476332 Wed Oct 14 2015 9:58am
TheWojtek

Tim in Scotland wrote:
All the Volkswagen FourMotions, Audi Q's, BMW X's and quite a ferw other makes seem to have no problems with their Haldex systems.

BMWs have Haldex couplers only in the Mini cars. The X-Drive uses a centre diff with an electronically regulated lock.
This said - the video above explains more or less why does it not work in real-life situations. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---

Post #476342 Wed Oct 14 2015 11:58am
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

The Wojtek

All the car makers' designers and engineers and those at Haldex must clearly be idiots. The world must be nice when you look down from on high at all us numpties.

Post #476359 Wed Oct 14 2015 2:15pm
RogerDeFlor

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I had a similar dilemma when I was thinking about buying one, and it does come down to what sort of "driver" you are.
If your car is just a thing for getting you from A to B, or ferrying the kids around, or impressing your mates, then probably the X5 (or my personal option was the Touareg). However if you like a bit of DIY, and going off for the weekend in it, then it's the RRS every time.

Don't forget it comes with a mahosive community of enthusiasts

Post #476368 Wed Oct 14 2015 3:26pm
rrsrocknrollstar

United Kingdom 

To be honest i work away a lot so will not be there a lot of the time to fix it.
Are they really that bad and unreliable?

My last 5 cars have all been BMW and iv not had any bother or breakdowns with any of them, well tell a lie my e46 330d touring needed a new auto gearbox that cost me like £2000 for a reconditioned one but day to day very reliable,but don't really want another BMW as i have a e60 530d at the moment and fancy some thing different.

So what im asking are they really that bad

Post #476383 Wed Oct 14 2015 5:40pm
rrsrocknrollstar

United Kingdom 

I prefer to spend my weekends in the pub or doing some thing fun with the wife and kids not rolling about under my car in the cold Censored that maybe years ago but not now.

Post #476385 Wed Oct 14 2015 5:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>