RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Dynamic Stability Control
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RossM

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue
Dynamic Stability Control

How does the DSC work? Is it hydraulic? I'd always assumed it was part of the air suspension but having found a leak at the back of the car I'm assuming it's hydraulic and I have a leak on the rear part. Does it operate on the rear ARB? There seems to be a hydraulic motor or something like that but can't see properly. Looks like a trip to the garage! It's odd that it only seems to have started since my new air suspension compressor was fitted but pretty sure they can't be linked. 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE- Cairns Blue with 22" Stormers

Post #465125 Fri Jun 19 2015 6:49pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

It's just LR's term for traction control (applying the brake to a wheel if it slips) and is controlled by the Vehicle Dynamic Module (ABS Module). Thumbs Up

Perhaps easiest if you give your symptoms and go from there? Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #465127 Fri Jun 19 2015 7:05pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Dynamic Stability Control is a suite of electronic systems that use ABS, traction control, throttle control etc. to prevent loss of control in extreme on-road situations.

Dynamic Response is a system that uses hydraulically controlled anti roll bars to reduce roll. Leaking rear anti roll bar actuators are not uncommon and can be fixed cheaply depending on the actual failure. Sadly they sometimes require a new anti roll bar and that is a big money job.

A photo or two of the leaking area would help us to help you. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #465140 Fri Jun 19 2015 9:18pm
garrycol

Australia 

Lost for Words wrote:
It's just LR's term for traction control (applying the brake to a wheel if it slips) and is controlled by the Vehicle Dynamic Module (ABS Module). Thumbs Up

Perhaps easiest if you give your symptoms and go from there?

Close but not right - what you describe is Traction Control but not stability control. To over simplyfy DSC like TC uses the ABS system but instead of detecting wheel slip it detects vehicle sideways or yaw movement in the vehicle and applies appropriate brakes to try to correct.

You cannot turn Traction Control off as it is controlled by the TR system but you can turn DSC off and still have TC on.

So it is not LR's term for traction control as DSC and TC are different systems just as ABS is a different system but all use the same components but in a different manner for different purposes.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #465169 Sat Jun 20 2015 3:07am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Fair point. I was kind of thinking traction control without a capital "T" (if you get my drift), but you're right, a poor choice of wording on my part. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #465183 Sat Jun 20 2015 9:37am
Streaky

United Arab Emirates 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Alaska White

So when would you turn it off?

I was getting lots of 'Chattering' noises from the wheels when driving through sand...I hit the DSC button and the wheel noises stopped. Ra-Ro Sport Super Dooper Charged.
Ford F350 Super Duty Prototype.
Ni$$@n Patrol 4.8 Overlander.

Post #465685 Thu Jun 25 2015 1:48pm
garrycol

Australia 

Wherever you are doing slow/technical offroad DSC should be turned off - basically offroad where any sideways motion is not going to be a danger to the vehicle - hi speed offroad it should remain on for safety reasons.

The reason being that as well as applying brakes to provide stability it also cuts power that may cause issues in itself.

Also note that even when DSC is switched off - in extreme unstable situations it will turn itself back on in an attempt to save you from yourself. 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #465686 Thu Jun 25 2015 1:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1