RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Rear load space questions ....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Tonser there's a quick release tow bar on ebay at £165.00 buy it now.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DISCOVERY-3-RANGE-RO...dZViewItem 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #43691 Tue Jul 04 2006 11:38am
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Tonser - you have PM - or should have if it worked....

Post #43694 Tue Jul 04 2006 11:42am
tonser

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Thanks VA. As the car is not going to be here for 3 months I'll keep an eye on ebay and try to get a bargain !

PM received MAW, reply on its way !

Tonse Play: '59 VW Kabrio & '90 964
Work: http://www.mustardpost.com

Post #43699 Tue Jul 04 2006 11:51am
Quasimoto

United States 

I've got a standard StumpJumper mountain bike, and it fits comfortably in the back with the seats folded down; the relatively high ceiling makes it possible. I don't need to lower the bicycle seat, though I do need to turn the front tire at an angle so it fits back to front. -QM

Post #43797 Tue Jul 04 2006 6:15pm
tonser

Hi Quasi

Do you use any sort of interior rack to hold the bike, or do you lie it down ? Would there be room for two ?

Thanks

Post #43800 Tue Jul 04 2006 6:32pm
Quasimoto

United States 

The last time I packed the bike in the back there was a lot of camping gear back there too, so it kind of helped keep the bike upright. No rack. The rear wheel was close the passenger door with the bike's frame running along the left side, "held in" by the camping gear. If you were just transporting the bike, you'd definitely need something to brace the rear wheel, I suspect. Two bikes would probably fit, but again, you need to pivot the front forks so the rear hatch can close. -QM

Post #44004 Wed Jul 05 2006 8:50pm
tonser

Thanks Quasi

Theres a couple more quick release towbars on ebay for £165 BIN - might just snap one up. Am I right in thinking there is a space under the boot floor for storing the towbar?

Post #44024 Thu Jul 06 2006 7:48am
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

tonser wrote:
Thanks Quasi

Theres a couple more quick release towbars on ebay for £165 BIN - might just snap one up. Am I right in thinking there is a space under the boot floor for storing the towbar?

Tonse

Yes there is Tonser. One thing (another!) to be wary of, the towbar comes with two keys cable tied together, but the keys hinge (read on), only a day after placing mine in the boot storage I went to fit it and the lock had failed (would not lock on). To cut longer story short, there is little clearance for the keys, this is why they are hinged, tied together they were more bulky and so fowled on the floor beneath when in storage. Somehow this had damaged the lock which, fortunately, my dealer replaced as a warranty repair. Lock is designed to retain a key when off the vehicle to prevent loss.

Point of the message is seperate the keys and fold the key tab over when in storage.

Hope this is of use....

Post #44026 Thu Jul 06 2006 8:07am
tonser

Thanks very much MAW - always useful to be aware of manufacturers design flaws ! Play: '59 VW Kabrio & '90 964

Post #44027 Thu Jul 06 2006 8:13am
p-trax

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Stornoway Grey

I picked up a "delta loader" from wiggle.com to transport a couple of road bikes.
Due to the sloping rear tailgate and the narrow gap between the upper glass tailgate, I had to position the bar a far way in. However, I sucessfully managed to get 2 bikes in (rear wheels are at a diagonal as too long otherwise.
I think it would be possible to get a cross country bike in there, but a downhill bike would dfinitely not fit with this type of carrier.

I took some pics with my mobile, but didn't clean the greasy smudged lense first (DOH). Pics in my gallery Stornaway Grey/Ebony TDV8 HST, September 3rd Smile

Post #46613 Mon Jul 24 2006 1:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Singletrack

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

One issue with Quasimodo's suggestion is mud. I don't know where he rides his Stumpjumper in Virginia, but here in Belgium - most of the year you are riding in mud. The bike may fit in the back, but that's not where I would want to put it when it's covered in mud. Not to mention, that manipulating a bike that is caked with mud is not the tidiest thing to do.

I use a tow bar mounted Thule Euroway rack - it's great for my Scott Genius (RC20) but the Ransom is a little tricky due to the more extreme geometry of the frame and the rather wide downtube arrangement that houses the rear suspension shock. But it works and is very stable at Italian autostrada speeds Very Happy

I would not use any rack that touches the bodywork. The footpads alone with damage your paint, if not an improperly mounted bike... 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #46616 Mon Jul 24 2006 1:26pm
Ruadh08

Scotland 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

I have just bought a twin cycle rack for the towball from THULE for £50. It is a brilliant piece of kit, and takes seconds to fit. It is very rigid with the bikes on, and in theory you dont need a light bar cause the lights can still be seen. Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE
Lotus 340r
BMW 120d Sport
BMW R1200GS
New M3 on order!!

Post #47210 Mon Jul 31 2006 11:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12