RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Rear load space questions ....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

tonser

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
Rear load space questions ....

Whilst the long wait for delivery goes on, questions spring to mind ! Has anyone got pictures of the rear loadspace with the seats folded down ? Do the seats fold to make a flat loadspace and if so can you get a loadliner which extends to cover the whole floorspace ?

I'm wondering whether a pair of mountain bikes can be chucked in the back, rather than using an external carrier.

Thanks for any info

Tonse Play: '59 VW Kabrio & '90 964
Work: http://www.mustardpost.com

Post #43640 Tue Jul 04 2006 7:05am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Would be a tight squeeze for a pair of bikes, plus if you're having tints these are likely to get scratched. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #43641 Tue Jul 04 2006 7:12am
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Re: Rear load space questions ....

tonser wrote:
Whilst the long wait for delivery goes on, questions spring to mind ! Has anyone got pictures of the rear loadspace with the seats folded down ? Do the seats fold to make a flat loadspace and if so can you get a loadliner which extends to cover the whole floorspace ?

I'm wondering whether a pair of mountain bikes can be chucked in the back, rather than using an external carrier.

Thanks for any info

Tonse

Tonser - I bought the Thule 947 ball mounted carrier which was spot on. It tilts away from the rear door, lockable, folds flat etc etc and is quick to fit. You need to invest in the towbar and electrics but the thing is you can put the RRS back to 'normal' quickly, saves risking the interior I found.

Post #43644 Tue Jul 04 2006 8:31am
tonser

Thanks VA and MAW. I know it would be cleaner/safer to have the external carrier, but at £400 for the tow kit, and £200 for the Thule carrier it becomes pretty expensive (as I dont envisage any oter need for the tow hitch)

I was wondering whether one of the internal bike mounts could be used ?? Play: '59 VW Kabrio & '90 964

Post #43654 Tue Jul 04 2006 8:50am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

There is a lot of space with the rear seats folded down (yes, they do fold flat) but whether you'd be able to stand up two mountain bikes next to each other into the stand you've shown? Hmm... the load space dimensions are published on the LR site if I remember, and if you could measure the height and length of one of your bikes and where they would sit if you used that internal bike stand, I guess you could see whethey they fitted. Alternatively, take the bikes down to your friendly dealer and ask to try it out in an RRS. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #43655 Tue Jul 04 2006 8:59am
MAW

tonser wrote:
Thanks VA and MAW. I know it would be cleaner/safer to have the external carrier, but at £400 for the tow kit, and £200 for the Thule carrier it becomes pretty expensive (as I dont envisage any oter need for the tow hitch)

I was wondering whether one of the internal bike mounts could be used ??

I know what you mean about cost but if you are keeping the vehicle for while well worth it I think - think about the cost of a ripped panel, cleaning effort, wet bikes etc. I bought the towbar of ebay for at least a 150 saving and the elecs from a dealer and fitted them myself (£70 odd from memory). When you are done the towbar will always resell - its like bullion trading on ebay..... Smile

Oh - I cannot comment on the internal mount - never seen before.... hope this is of use.

Post #43656 Tue Jul 04 2006 9:02am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

every single Sport has the receptor underneath for the quick release tow bar, you can buy this from the Dearler for about £120. I have seen them on eBay for MUCH more than this, don't buy it for more!

You might be able to get away without the electrics with a bike carrier, although I also plan to get a tow ball mounted version too, so thanks for the info MAW. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #43673 Tue Jul 04 2006 10:35am
tonser

Hi MAW

Thanks for that - there are a few on ebay at the mo, so maybe that will be the way to go. Is the wiring kit, just a case of connecting multi-block connectore to the harness in the boot area or is it more complex that that !?!

Tonse Play: '59 VW Kabrio & '90 964

Post #43675 Tue Jul 04 2006 10:38am
tonser

Hmmmm I've just been quoted £295 +Vat for the Quick Release Tow Bar and £75 +Vat for the wiring kit. From Thames Ditton LR Play: '59 VW Kabrio & '90 964

Post #43677 Tue Jul 04 2006 10:44am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Sturgess Leicester quoted me £115 for the tow bar alone. No idea what the wiring install would be but was told at time of orderring my car it would be a lot more than the £400 I paid, they reckoned all in about a grand !! L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #43680 Tue Jul 04 2006 10:52am
MAW

RRUK wrote:
every single Sport has the receptor underneath for the quick release tow bar, you can buy this from the Dearler for about £120. I have seen them on eBay for MUCH more than this, don't buy it for more!

You might be able to get away without the electrics with a bike carrier, although I also plan to get a tow ball mounted version too, so thanks for the info MAW.

Hi RRUK - I was quoted £346 VInc for the towbar from my dealer!?! The Thule carrier I got had the lighting board and lamps fitted also. Towequipe were very good on stock and delivery - Thule do a 2,3 and 4 bike options but the 947 I bought was good for storage when not in use, the tilt function spot on also. PM if you need more detail on this - happy to oblige.

Post #43684 Tue Jul 04 2006 11:28am
MAW

tonser wrote:
Hi MAW

Thanks for that - there are a few on ebay at the mo, so maybe that will be the way to go. Is the wiring kit, just a case of connecting multi-block connectore to the harness in the boot area or is it more complex that that !?!

Tonse

To fit the wiring had to take left hand inner panel off and NSR lamp cover, remove a loom and replace with new loom threaded through rear lamp cluster socket, all in 90 mins ish tops. Instructions very clear.

Post #43685 Tue Jul 04 2006 11:30am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Look at this thread on our sister site - they have arranged some discount from a main dealer.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic3676-15.html 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #43686 Tue Jul 04 2006 11:31am
MAW

tonser wrote:
Hmmmm I've just been quoted £295 +Vat for the Quick Release Tow Bar and £75 +Vat for the wiring kit. From Thames Ditton LR

These are 'book' prices and as I was quoted - RRUK's £120 is a steal - you could make a profit with them on ebay !!!!

Post #43687 Tue Jul 04 2006 11:32am
MAW

RRUK wrote:
Sturgess Leicester quoted me £115 for the tow bar alone. No idea what the wiring install would be but was told at time of orderring my car it would be a lot more than the £400 I paid, they reckoned all in about a grand !!

That's a good bar price - the elecs are £75 VEx and as I recall fitting was about another £110 (as I recall £195 ish all in for the dealer to supply and fit elecs).

Ridiculous the quotes vary so much!

Post #43689 Tue Jul 04 2006 11:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>