RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Final spec question - HSE or Dynamic?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>

RobF

United Kingdom 

And I suspect (hope) that the Dynamic will have better RVs when it comes to sale time compared with an HSE with Offroad pack.

Post #431349 Wed Jul 23 2014 12:17pm
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Nah... it'll sell a little easier, a little quicker perhaps and be a little more desirable....

You'll get pennies back for the thousands you put in...imo

Stlll worth it for me though... 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #431353 Wed Jul 23 2014 12:36pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

RV is obviously one thought that occurred to me but here's what I think. Flame me if you want. When either the demand for the RRS drops off or production catches up with demand, JLR will introduce the SE and S models possibly even with the 2 litre Ingenium engine they are currently developing and obviously these models will be at significantly lower price levels than the current HSE, Dynamic and AB models. In a few years time when all these different models are available on the used market, the higher spec models that we are being forced to buy now will take a hammering in terms of RV so for that reason I think it makes more sense to buy the cheaper HSE model now rather than the Dynamic or the AB. Now I realise that for most people there's more to the buying decision than considerations about RVs but whilst I like buying new cars, I don't like wantonly chucking cash away on depreciation

Post #431359 Wed Jul 23 2014 1:46pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

andman wrote:
Doesn't matter what else you have to satisfy the need for speed...

When your driving the one you're in you want it to drive the best it can.. and enjoy its abilities to the full...

I have sympathy for that view but the fact remains that a Dynamic is not going to see a well driven £15k hot hatch for dust on a windy road so why embarrass yourself by trying? OK a SC model might! In any case, I don't know what other RR drivers find but since I bought my FFRR (my first RR), I have gradually changed my driving style. It took me a few months but I now drive it in a far more relaxed laid back style than I have ever driven any of my previous cars and you know what, I quite like that! It's soothing!
If I ever feel like a blast I have a 911(997) Turbo and a BMW K1600 motorbike to blow the cobwebs away but I like the way that the RR is at completely the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of driving characteristics

Post #431360 Wed Jul 23 2014 2:07pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Looks like you've answered your own question then. I'd get the off road pack though. I think the RV of HSE + off road pack compared to vanilla HSE will be more than enough to cover the purchase cost. Lots of people will be considering 2nd hand RRS2 for towing etc.and the low range box will be a selling point. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #431365 Wed Jul 23 2014 2:49pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Looks like you've answered your own question then. I'd get the off road pack though. I think the RV of HSE + off road pack compared to vanilla HSE will be more than enough to cover the purchase cost. Lots of people will be considering 2nd hand RRS2 for towing etc.and the low range box will be a selling point

No not really. I will have another final test drive before making the decision. Part of me says that what's an extra £4.5k when you're buying a £70k car but you have to stop somewhere
The Off Road pack at only £410 or whatever is a no brainer on a standard HSE

Post #431369 Wed Jul 23 2014 3:04pm
andman

mikef wrote:
andman wrote:
Doesn't matter what else you have to satisfy the need for speed...

When your driving the one you're in you want it to drive the best it can.. and enjoy its abilities to the full...

I have sympathy for that view but the fact remains that a Dynamic is not going to see a well driven £15k hot hatch for dust on a windy road so why embarrass yourself by trying? OK a SC model might! In any case, I don't know what other RR drivers find but since I bought my FFRR (my first RR), I have gradually changed my driving style. It took me a few months but I now drive it in a far more relaxed laid back style than I have ever driven any of my previous cars and you know what, I quite like that! It's soothing!
If I ever feel like a blast I have a 911(997) Turbo and a BMW K1600 motorbike to blow the cobwebs away but I like the way that the RR is at completely the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of driving characteristics

I see where you're coming from mike....

but it's not about racing hot hatches .. it's as I said .....it's about enjoying to the full the driving experience of the car you are in ..

If you drive passively all the time in a RR you're right.. don't bother...

If the cost has a bearing .... don't bother...

If you want it to be the best it can be... in standard spec of course ... then add it...

I always spec my cars with everything but the kitchen sink.. I can't help myself...

I also take a bath on them all every time I sell ... but love every minute of owning them.. 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's

Post #431373 Wed Jul 23 2014 3:23pm
malcolmw

United Kingdom 

mikef wrote:
... I have gradually changed my driving style. It took me a few months but I now drive it in a far more relaxed laid back style than I have ever driven any of my previous cars ...

Ha, ha. It's getting older that does it!

Actually, I have much the same feeling as you. As I said in my first post above, the RRS lends itself to wafting about in a relaxed way. IMO, it does matter what other cars you have access to as it gives you the freedom to optimise for different usage. I have an Aston DB9 for getting the adrenaline pumping on a nice day but I didn't ask for knobbly tyres on it so I could go off road. Conversely, I wouldn't take the RRS on track days.

I didn't think about residuals much but I should think the Off-road pack is a no-brainer on a Range Rover. I actually test drove a Dynamic ATB and on normal roads I couldn't really feel much difference. Of course, I wasn't driving very enthusiastically in someone else's £85K loaner. Regards

Malcolm

Post #431374 Wed Jul 23 2014 3:28pm
andman

In fairness... I do belt mine around very fast and dangerous mountain roads and passes regularly and any edge on the

handling you can get is worth having...

The dynamic where I drive is noticeable .. car just feels more planted.... still not a sports car..but one look down a crevasse

makes the 4.5k euros they charge here a bargain...

mostly town driving and an occasional spurt on the lanes .. don't bother.. 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's

Post #431375 Wed Jul 23 2014 3:38pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Well here's a curve ball that LR have thrown at me. Let's start by naming and shaming. My dealer is Stratstone of Aylesbury. When I ordered my RRS back in January, I agreed a provisional spec with the salesman with a delivery date of September (I wanted a new 64 plate) on the clear understanding that I would firm up the spec just before the build date. A couple of weeks ago, the salesman phoned me and left a message on my mobile saying that the order spec had to be confirmed by 6th August. He then went away on holiday for 2 weeks returning this week. I phoned him today to fix up a test drive in order to decide between a HSE and a Dynamic and he then dropped a bombshell. During his absence, LR had pulled forward the build date and my order has already been placed by Stratstone based on the original spec in his absence. Needless to say I blew my top and the salesman has gone away to 'see whether LR will change the spec'. Apparently there are several customers in my position.
And here's another odd one. The order I signed in January was actually for a TDV6 SE which I thought LR were now not able to supply. I was given the option at the end of June to confirm my order for a SE because LR were honouring all orders taken for SEs before they pulled the model, but I declined telling the salesman verbally that I wanted to go for an HSE. So what the hell have Stratsone ordered? Any idea what my contractual position is if Stratsone try to force me to take the car as they have ordered?

Post #431478 Thu Jul 24 2014 2:27pm
malcolmw

United Kingdom 

A bad decision by them to place a firm order on a "brought forward" basis when the spec. was clearly not finalised. I don't think that they could insist that you took the vehicle given the circumstances. It's not your problem that the salesman was on holiday. Do you have any documentary support for the conditions which you imposed on your order (i.e. delivery in September and spec. to be agreed).

I should find out exactly what they have ordered as a first step. Could you even get the Dynamic Pack on a TDV6 SE? Regards

Malcolm

Post #431479 Thu Jul 24 2014 2:41pm
andman

unnerving Mike.... wish you the best of luck..

Not got a clue where you stand legally... I hope you don't end up with an SE...

I know it's just rubbing salt in the wound but nothing but nothing should ever be done verbally...

Get on to Pete at customer relations straight away ... Don't know if he can help but it's a starting point...

Write in the strongest possible terms to Stratstone that you will not accept an SE and refer to your conversation with the salesman...

Argue that they had an obligation to contact you and inform you that your build date had been brought forward to enable you to confirm your spec

Just get that email trail started asaap....

I guess the Dynamic part right now is of little significance ...

Good luck....and keep us posted 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's

Post #431480 Thu Jul 24 2014 2:44pm
Ranger4

I'm not sure that the dealer can 'force' the car upon you. You don't officially sign anything until the day you collect your car and pay for it. Even if your car goes into 'build', and you decide to cancel, you should still be able to get your deposit back - unless, of course, the dealership has spent time prepping or adding mudflaps/towbars etc.....

Anyhow, I would suggested that you insist the dealership 'amends' your order with LR. If that's no longer possible then they should immediately order you a new one with the correct spec - for September delivery!

Post #431516 Thu Jul 24 2014 8:04pm
paramike

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Hi mike,i provisionally ordered a hse back in march,deposit left,with a possible delivery end of september.with a final spec check prior.Lo and behold phone call 2 days ago my car has just been delivered to dealer wtf.same excuse as yourself manager was on holiday dealership not informed Whistle salesman did say that land rover are keen to clear back orders ready for 2015 model.the spec is pretty much what i ordered.i just feel that landrover are pushing the agenda to suit themselves Crying or Very sad

Post #431547 Thu Jul 24 2014 11:05pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Sounds like LR and their dealers are chancing their arm. Tell them to provide what you specify or you take your money elsewhere. They only get away with bullying if you let them.

It makes me wonder if they are trying to move vehicles that have been cancelled elsewhere. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #431561 Thu Jul 24 2014 11:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>