RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Some Electrical Gremlins
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Stuart

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Some Electrical Gremlins

I have had the car for months, and not an electrical gremlin to report until the last few days.

Randomly, in traffic, the warning lights came up for suspension fault. Suspension seemed OK. When it was turned off and on again, it went away.

Then a little later, it told me the suspension was not at the correct height. Although it was.

Then I got "Transmission Fault", although it seemed to be driving OK.

Over a few days, these errors have come and gone. They usually go away if the car is restarted. Today I have been out doing a few errands, and none of it has happened.

From reading here, I conclude that the battery may be on its way out? The one in there is an AC Delco of unknown vintage. Or do those faults suggest something else to the experienced hands here?

Last edited by Stuart on Fri Apr 18 2014 2:24pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #421638 Fri Apr 18 2014 2:10pm
RRS Daz

I was getting park brake fault, special program faults and then a flash of engine management fault as my battery was failing, new battery fitted and all is well.

Post #421639 Fri Apr 18 2014 2:15pm
Stuart

Yes, I had park brake fault as well! And I never use it.

Post #421641 Fri Apr 18 2014 2:24pm
RRS Daz

I thought the park brake saying was use it or lose it ??

Post #421666 Fri Apr 18 2014 8:24pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Battery, brake pedal switch, and/or bulbs Thumbs Up

As for the EPB. If you don;t use it, it will seize up. If you do use it, the shoes will wear, and need adjusting. Cant win either way Laughing

Post #421667 Fri Apr 18 2014 8:40pm
Stuart

Mikey wrote:
Battery, brake pedal switch, and/or bulbs

No bulbs are blown, and none have been replaced recently. How might one differentiate between the brake pedal switch and the battery?

Or should I just replace the battery on spec first and see what occurs?

Are we still liking these ones (identified from other topics)? I wont buy a main dealer one - not into paying extra ££'s for an LR badge.

Post #421672 Fri Apr 18 2014 8:59pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Quote:
How might one differentiate between the brake pedal switch and the battery?

One could stick a meter across the battery and see what you've got. Then start it and see what you get. Then check it again after a few minutes to see what it's showing.

Alternatively, the brake switch is described as a simple and cheap replacement so might be worth a try. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #421677 Sat Apr 19 2014 12:50am
RRSTDV8

Disco_Mikey wrote:

As for the EPB. If you don;t use it, it will seize up. If you do use it, the shoes will wear, and need adjusting. Cant win either way Laughing

I take the view that the shoes are relatively easy to change whereas the EPB module looks to be a body off (or at least rear raised) job to replace. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #421678 Sat Apr 19 2014 12:52am
RRS Daz

I did the multimeter test on my battery and it got good readings when standing and running, I then had the battery tested on a computer which stated the battery was knackered.

So I'm not a fan of the multimeter testing unless of course someone's tells me I did it wrong? Standing volts after car been stood a while and engine running volts I did.

Post #421682 Sat Apr 19 2014 7:49am
Stuart

Just to wake this one up again........

I did nothing, I haven't seen any warning lights since I posted, until a few days ago.

Pulled back in the drive at home after maybe a five mile drive, it was raining so wipers, heater and stereo was on. As I turned it off, a message was flashed up, all I caught of it was "low power" or it might have been "low power mode" or something similar. I had the key out so fast it only came up for a moment so I really didn't absorb it.

Does that ring any bells with anyone?

Only after I thought about it, with stuff running, I am suspecting undercharging or the battery on its way out as suspected.

I'll stick a voltmeter from work across the terminals when running and see what I get. On Merc vans [way back when] one used to expect something in the 14v range when running. Same with these?

Post #423889 Sat May 10 2014 10:47pm
BKHK

Australia 

Jus to replace the battery, then you can eliminate it as the suspect. If it's not the battery today, it will need replacing soon so I would advise doing it anyway.

Post #423892 Sat May 10 2014 11:55pm
RRSTDV8

Stuart wrote:

I'll stick a voltmeter from work across the terminals when running and see what I get. On Merc vans [way back when] one used to expect something in the 14v range when running. Same with these?

I think you want something like 12.5V when stood (less than 12V isn't great but could just be the result of short runs, less than 11.5V and you're in trouble), it goes up to about 13.5V just after starting the engine and then up to about 14.5V during constant running. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #423897 Sun May 11 2014 7:35am
Stuart

I had a play with this today with the voltmeter at work, I am getting about 12.5v not running, and around 14.5 when running as expected.

When revved a little it goes up to almost 15v, but soon settles down again.

In recent days I am intermittently getting the "transmission fault" lights, although there isnt a fault. And also the "Suspension fault - normal mode only" lights.

I used the "off road" height today, and left it tonight in access level in case its a case of "use it or lose it" - as I suspect most us us seldom use the other settings. And if you don't, maybe they go on the blink?

I am still suspecting a flakey battery, as these cars seem so sensitive, but didn't want to buy one at circa £100 "on spec". But as it goes, it is booked in Landranger in Stockport on Friday for the Aircon discussed on this topic, so I will ask them to test the battery properly with a battery meter to see what that throws up.

I only note it here in case the process of discovery helps others in the future.

Post #424822 Wed May 21 2014 12:54am
Stuart

Stuart wrote:
a message was flashed up, all I caught of it was "low power" or it might have been "low power mode" or something similar. I had the key out so fast it only came up for a moment so I really didn't absorb it.

Just for completeness, and to help random surfers, searching the archives here tells me this is unconnected with the faults.

The stereo shifts into low power mode when the engine is off. It wont go above a certain volume etc, and when you try, it throws up that message.

The kids are always clowning with the stereo and seat warmers, etc. What I saw was a result of small sticky fingers constantly tampering. I found this out the other day waiting with the engine off, when the stereo wouldnt turn up and I saw the same message again.

So that was a red herring in relation to the faults mentioned.

Post #424823 Wed May 21 2014 1:07am
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Unless the alternator/battery is not giving enough power out Thumbs Up

However, at 15v, the alternator would appear to be working as intended

Post #424829 Wed May 21 2014 6:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>