RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Mudflap fitting - improvement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Mudflap fitting - improvement

Mudflaps divide opinion we know but I like them and don't think they are at all out of place: Its an offroad vehicle FG'S Rolling Eyes

So...ordered the OE mudflaps front and rear but on looking at the fitting instructions decided I didn't like the fixings on the front pair.
The top two self-tapping screws are intended to locate in two sprung steel captive bolts which have to be clipped on to the lip of the wheelarch and over the pre-existing holes (see pic below) (can you identify the reflection of the other car?)

Sorry about my thumb sporting a thin layer of dark grey stonechip.
I didn't like the idea of the nasty scatchy captive bolt thing being pushed across the nice shiny paint of the lip as the whole arrangement looked like a potential rust starting point.
An alternative arrangement is to pick up some nylon trim panel nuts from eBay or Halfords like this:

They are a perfect fit in the holes on the wheelarch lip:

The screws that come with the kit are chemically blacked which seems to resist corrosion fairly well but if you are a bit OCD like me then pick up some same size stainless screws and washers from your local bolt factors, paint them with stonechip and topcoat with matt black paint.

Most of the screws were easily fixed into the trim panel nuts but you may have to initially grip the nuts with narrow pliers to prevent them rotating.
Ends with a neat job and hopefully not a rust trap:

BTW in theory you can fit the mudflaps without removing the wheels but access is very limited so if you have the equipment - remove the front wheels. As for the rears - I found it is necessary to jack up the rear to gain access to the screws but not necessary to remove the wheel. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Last edited by Paddi on Thu Oct 26 2017 1:28pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #392956 Tue Aug 27 2013 6:42pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Nice work, I hate those sprung clips. Thumbs Up 2011 Evoque Si4 Dynamic plus lux
2007 Audi TT 3.2 V6
2005 Sport Sc

Post #392961 Tue Aug 27 2013 7:58pm
B3EEE

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

it's a Maclaren Merc SL !!!  RR Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange 4.2 V8 First edition

Prefer RR Vouge S/C but they don't do Orange !

Post #392965 Tue Aug 27 2013 8:33pm
sonnyjim

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Cairns Blue

Nice one, wish I had put them in instead of those spring clips, stupid idea. I fitted the OEM mudflaps last month, took me ages getting the screws in as it kept pushing the clips apart grrrr

Post #392981 Wed Aug 28 2013 1:31am
Red71

Australia 

"BTW in theory you can fit the mudflaps without removing the wheels but access is very limited so if you have the equipment - remove the front wheels. As for the rears - I found it is necessary to jack up the rear to gain access to the screws but not necessary to remove the wheel."

I did this yesterday and turned the front wheels lock to lock to unscrew the fronts and used a Phillips head socket so I could clear the back tyres, I think you'll find these tools in any basic tool kit so it should be pretty easy??

So no jacking or removal of wheels from the car. Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks for the tips Paddi. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Paul 2005 RRS 2.7TD
2013 VW Passat
1967 Chevrolet Camaro
6.10 Trailcraft centrecab (Dust collector)

Post #392982 Wed Aug 28 2013 2:27am
Paddi

sonnyjim wrote:
Nice one, wish I had put them in instead of those spring clips, stupid idea. I fitted the OEM mudflaps last month, took me ages getting the screws in as it kept pushing the clips apart grrrr

Not surprised.
The screws supplied with the kit appear to be too big for the spring clips. The guy in my bolt factors said they are 'self threading screws' not self tappers (or paint clearers). 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #393005 Wed Aug 28 2013 11:38am
Paddi

Red71 wrote:

I did this yesterday and turned the front wheels lock to lock to unscrew the fronts and used a Phillips head socket so I could clear the back tyres, I think you'll find these tools in any basic tool kit so it should be pretty easy??

So no jacking or removal of wheels from the car. Very Happy Very Happy

Corroded screws is probably more of a problem for us in the UK with salted roads so I Like to take no risks and use a lot of pressure with a Pozidrive. Didn't think of using a pozidrive bit in a socket though Rolling Eyes Good suggestion Thumbs Up 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #393006 Wed Aug 28 2013 11:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1