RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Top gear RRS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

BigCat8810

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Yes, enjoyed last nights show, the best so far in this series.

Certainly nice to see all those British made vehicles, although I thought we still made more military kit than the Jackel. --------------------------------------------------------
RRS TDV8 Black/Black (Gone)
RRS TDV8 Stornaway (Gone)
RR Vogue TDV8 (Gone)
RRS 4.4V8 (Gone)
Defender 110 300tdi (Stolen, much missed)
RR Vogue V8 P38 (Gone)
LR 90 TD (Gone)

Post #390928 Mon Aug 05 2013 10:34am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

What surprised me about the show, is that everyone went to great lengths to get their vehicles into London, no doubt spent many hours or days preparing them only to get about 5 minutes air time and yet they spent all that time showing a numpty driving a bus, or trying to drive a bus. Whistle
On another note, never take anything seriously that the three presenters tell you. They are a set of clowns. Yawn

Post #390934 Mon Aug 05 2013 11:02am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bomber H

Its very rare for them to not slate on outgoing model, even if they had been quite complimentary of it in the past.

Enjoyable show, and it seems to have the desired effect on the general viewing audience, as I have had several colleagues come up to me a chat about the RRS, wanting to know if I'm going to get the new one! Quite happy with the old for now thanks! (read that as can't even remotely afford the new one!).

Best of British stuff almost brought a tear to the eyes Bow down 2016 VW Golf GTD DSG
2007 Exige S British GT SE
Gone : 2011 3.0TDV6 HSE, Stornoway Grey, Ivory, Piano Black Trim, Paddleshift, Privacy Glass, Side Steps, Mud Flaps, Heated Steering Wheel, Timed Climate & Remote Park Heating Smile

Post #390992 Mon Aug 05 2013 6:25pm
Mrturner

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

There was me thinking the track was Dunsfold in Surrey rather than London! At the end of the day, its entertainment, loosely based on cars. It's like asking Ronald McDonald for nutritional advice. 07 TDV6 HSE in Stornoway Grey, 20" alloys |08 XF SV8 on order.

Post #391014 Mon Aug 05 2013 10:38pm
Beancounter_74

England 

Didn't catch the Sunday show so watched the rerun last night to see the bit about he RRS.
Mrs Beans first comment was, oh, you're not looking to get a new one are you, then when she saw it on screen said, why have they replaced the RRS with an Evoque Laughing

As said earlier in the thread, why make out the new one has loads of features that apparently the current one doesn't have Confused
Admittedly, I don't have the wading sensors, but pretty much of all the other off road toys are standard on mine and not options like on the new one. Also, isn't the supposed £50k starting price for a poverty spec higher than the original entry price of the outgoing model - again they seemed to imply it was cheaper Confused

Definitely entertainment over fact that show. Neutral ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #391028 Tue Aug 06 2013 8:33am
sparky8181

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Agree with the other comments, it appears they put down outgoing models just so they have something to say!

If the new one is so much better, why not run a side by side comparison?

Would have been interesting to see if it really is any better. MY07 TDV6 HSE Stornaway & Ivory

Mods So Far: Side steps - Smoked Side Repeaters - OEM Style Signature LED Front Lights - LED Side Lights - LED Interior Lighting - 2012 Autobigraphy Style Front Grill & Side Vents - 2012 Rear LED Lights

Planned Mods: Paint My Brembo's - Colour Code Mirrors - Rear Interior Light Mod - GVIF

Post #391029 Tue Aug 06 2013 8:41am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The new one does have better ground clearance - an area that the old Sport was a bit lacking. The longer wheelbase means it doesn't get quite the increase in ramp angle that the ride height would suggest. A new sport fitted with the on/off road pack (or a Dynamic) would probably benefit from the active rear diff as most old Sports were never fitted with the active rear diff. One would hope that the newer TR2 was better than the original TR system.

On the same tyres, I'd expect the new Sport to be better than the old one but I'd like to see how big the difference is. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #391045 Tue Aug 06 2013 12:57pm
sparky8181

I agree it may be slightly better, but find it frustrating that they make out the existing model is useless, which we all know is not the case.

I'm a massive TG fan but sometimes they don't half talk some Censored MY07 TDV6 HSE Stornaway & Ivory

Mods So Far: Side steps - Smoked Side Repeaters - OEM Style Signature LED Front Lights - LED Side Lights - LED Interior Lighting - 2012 Autobigraphy Style Front Grill & Side Vents - 2012 Rear LED Lights

Planned Mods: Paint My Brembo's - Colour Code Mirrors - Rear Interior Light Mod - GVIF

Post #391047 Tue Aug 06 2013 1:10pm
sparky8181

Perhaps one of the lucky new owners awaiting delivery will let me take their new model off road and then throw it round a track, purely for scientific research purposes to see just how much better it really is?

I won't hold my breath for the PM's to come flooding in Rolling with laughter MY07 TDV6 HSE Stornaway & Ivory

Post #391048 Tue Aug 06 2013 1:17pm
Vadim

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Watched the show and really enjoyed. As people say, I was expecting to see the side by side comparison at least on the track, just like they did with the previous two models.

Every time I see 5 door Evoque, I concentrate and try to see if its an Evoque or the new RRS lol - so mrs beans comment was very appropriate Smile

A few days ago I stopped at battersea Lookers to check out the new RRS. The interior seemed to be more spacious, but The steering wheel... Is too small - I found. There is definately more space at the back and it's easier to get inside through the back doors now. It looked like the boot is less spacious now which I think makes sense since there two more seats. I really enjoyed the auto tailgate, I wish I had that on mine. What else... THere are some minor rearrangements with the interior. The size of the vehicle seems to be the same as the outgoing model and thus did not feel in any way different when behind the wheel. Vadim A.

Post #391103 Wed Aug 07 2013 1:56am
Grahamsjz

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I enjoyed it. They were reasonable consistent with previous comments, although I don't get the "not a range rover" comment. I know mine is based on a land rover chassis but to me at least, that does not preclude it being a range rover. I suppose they have to exaggerate to make a point.

For me the weight reduction is the most important thing, which they attributed to the chassis, so I suppose they had to labour the chassis point.

I don't know why they did not really mention the price increase as spec for spec it's too much of an increase. Support for a brand they like? Bored with the tailgate thing on the FF.

Have a look at the TG chieftain tank v RRS on You Tube, it's still great.

Graham Graham

09 TDV8 Zermat Silver

Post #391110 Wed Aug 07 2013 7:56am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Grahamsjz wrote:

For me the weight reduction is the most important thing, which they attributed to the chassis, so I suppose they had to labour the chassis point.

The whole claimed weight reduction thing annoys me. LR stated at launch that it was some 400kg lighter than the previous version (in the same way that the FFRR is lighter). Fine. However, that appears to be for the poverty spec with the lightest engine (V6 S/C presumably which the UK isn't getting I believe). The magazines have been weighing the new sport and finding it to be significantly heavier than LR claimed. The new RRS 5.0S/C is, according to Evo (they weigh test vehicles as part of their tests), 2494kg. That's a lot less than 400kg lighter than the old one and indeed is 184kg more than LR claim for the new S/C. It means the RRS is still 324kg heavier than the Cayenne according to Evo. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #391128 Wed Aug 07 2013 10:46am
Grahamsjz

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

RRSTDV8 wrote:

The whole claimed weight reduction thing annoys me. LR stated at launch that it was some 400kg lighter than the previous version (in the same way that the FFRR is lighter). Fine. However, that appears to be for the poverty spec with the lightest engine (V6 S/C presumably which the UK isn't getting I believe). The magazines have been weighing the new sport and finding it to be significantly heavier than LR claimed. The new RRS 5.0S/C is, according to Evo (they weigh test vehicles as part of their tests), 2494kg. That's a lot less than 400kg lighter than the old one and indeed is 184kg more than LR claim for the new S/C. It means the RRS is still 324kg heavier than the Cayenne according to Evo.

184k! That's the weight of a reasonable sized family!! That's quite a large fib.

I had been fully drawn in assuming they were comparing like spec with like spec.

Bu$$er.

Graham Graham

09 TDV8 Zermat Silver

Post #391137 Wed Aug 07 2013 12:10pm
mse

United Kingdom 

The sport part of top gear annoyed me.

1st they slated the outgoing one, loosely based on rubbish with

2nd the price, the new sport if basically never anywhere near that price - they certainly made out like it was cheaper

3rd off road, i mentioned before the dynamics etc have a tenancy to use (lock) the rear diff before the central diff...i didnt think the off road pack gave the active rear diff though?, i thought that was saved for the dynamic...Ground clearance i hadnt picked up the increase (although the current sport has 2 stages after off road height) i wouldnt say its lacking - ive taken a few and discos off road (not mine) and not had the problems, the wading depth is more - but then then they went on about wade sensors and i was specifically told 3 times not to use them off road as they arent designed for the unknown and changing base depths

4th weight, my understanding is the car is lighter before all the optional (once standard) kit is applied meaning the saving isnt that great (although there is still a saving

5th A side by side of a 2013 and a 2014 would be very interesting, we said the same, i dont believe (having driven the new one a fair bit) it would be massive, but there would be an improvement

6th My sport is now slouch

7th Sorry it is very evoque like...i see loads of both each day, it is...i also noticed the rear is a little ford kugar esk

As mentioned, the new one is an improvement (although retrograde step in some areas) but it wouldnt be sensible for it not to be...but the outgoing model is very good to begin with

I know most of that has been said - they definitely could have spent 50% of the series on the British products Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #391158 Wed Aug 07 2013 5:30pm
wilburn

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Nara Bronze

It really annoys me when they say it isn't a 'proper Range Rover' because it has the chassis from a Discovery.

If that is true then:

The Rolls Royce Ghost isn't a Rolls Royce as it uses a BMW 7 series chassis.
The Jaguar X type isn't a Jaguar as it uses a Mondeo chassis.
The Jaguar S type isn't a Jaguar as it uses a Lincoln chassis.
The Lexus ES isn't a Lexus as it uses a Toyota Camry chassis.

Post #391233 Thu Aug 08 2013 12:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>