RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > DVLA fine for vehicle I don't own?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

mlines

United Kingdom 
DVLA fine for vehicle I don't own?

Just received notification from DVLA that they have fined me for failure to notify them of disposal of a vehicle, £55.

However its for a vehicle I have never owned!

Strangely enough, the dates match up with a vehicle I DID sell and for which I have an acknowledgement letter from DVLA recording the change of owner.

The registration of the vehicle DVLA are fining me for is KN07 ABD which comes up as a Range Rover Sport.

The vehicle I sold (and have acknowledgement of the sale for) is DU07 OJO, which was a Range Rover Sport.

Not had a chance to phone DVLA yet to invite them to "see me in court".

Any views/experience on this??? 2016 RRS 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography Dynamic in Montalcino Red and Stealth Kit

Post #331345 Mon Feb 06 2012 7:18pm
RichardM

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green

DU07OJO isn't shown as registered now so it looks like the registration has been changed. I wonder if the other is its new number plate?

KN07ABD was registered 01/03/2007 and is black. Does that match your old car? WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

2010 TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Adaptive Cruise - Sunroof - Privacy Glass - 5 Spoke Alloys
2009 TDV6 3.0 HSE Buckingham Blue - GONE

Post #331368 Mon Feb 06 2012 10:34pm
lespes

Guernsey 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Just wondering how they know it is now disposed of, if you didn't tell them Confused Laughing Confused Now driving a rather smart looking Van

Post #331543 Tue Feb 07 2012 10:29pm
mlines

United Kingdom 

Sorted.

The new owner was particularly keen. Instead of waiting for the V5 (which I posted to DVLA the day after the sale), he put in a "claim" for the V5 to DVLA for some unknown reason, this resulted in a letter to me stating that someone was claiming the car and if I did nothing, or had already sent off the V5, then it would transfer to him. As I had sent the V5 I took the "do nothing" option. A 2 weeks later I received the normal acknowledgement letter from DVLA stating they had received my V5 ok for DU07 OJO.

However on the back of his claim for the V5, new owner also put in an immediate request to DVLA to transfer a private plate onto the car, the day after he bought it. For some reason DVLA did this before clearing down the records for DU07 OJO. Therefore, due to the wonderful computer system, the car had two identities and two owners (me plus new owner). I cleared the DU07 OJO record with my return of the V5 but not the KN07 ABD identity as this was not mine (and I knew nothing about it). Therefore they had a vehicle record that had been sold but not notified so the computer coughed up a fine for me.

A quick phone call to DVLA today sorted it, a human looked at the records and could see what had happened straight away and cancelled the fine.

So be aware that if you sell the car and the buyer starts other processes before the V5 is sent in by the seller the poor computer can get confused. 2016 RRS 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography Dynamic in Montalcino Red and Stealth Kit

Post #331556 Tue Feb 07 2012 11:27pm
shakeapaw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

its not a very good private plate that is it ? KN07 ABD , if i saw it, i would just think it was a normal one 07,TDV8,Black, Black Heated leather all round, Rear Entertainment with Headpones & Remote, TV, DVD, Pure Dab Digital Radio, Sidesteps, Adaptive Headlights, sunroof, now working fuel burning heater Smile)))

Post #331574 Wed Feb 08 2012 4:27am
Jonny Fresh

England 

shakeapaw wrote:
its not a very good private plate that is it ? KN07 ABD , if i saw it, i would just think it was a normal one

Good point Laughing

Post #331595 Wed Feb 08 2012 10:20am
Beancounter_74

England 

shakeapaw wrote:
its not a very good private plate that is it ? KN07 ABD , if i saw it, i would just think it was a normal one

Same here Laughing ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #331599 Wed Feb 08 2012 10:53am
RichardM

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green

Definatley prefer the original plate! Very Happy WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

2010 TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Adaptive Cruise - Sunroof - Privacy Glass - 5 Spoke Alloys
2009 TDV6 3.0 HSE Buckingham Blue - GONE

Post #331868 Thu Feb 09 2012 11:42pm
mlines

United Kingdom 

Further to this...

..just got a letter from DVLA thanking me for the "Out of Court Settlement" and the matter is now closed.

I guess that their use of the term "Out of Court Settlement" is a very obscure way of admitting they messed up whilst still making it look good on their internal reporting statistics ie. "customer agreed to Out of Court Settlement" sounds as if I paid up rather than they issued a fine by mistake and had to retreat on the issue. 2016 RRS 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography Dynamic in Montalcino Red and Stealth Kit

Post #331921 Fri Feb 10 2012 2:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1