RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Suspension totally failing - help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>

Govette

Australia 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 S Bonatti Grey

I think part of the problem is the format of the error codes. These cars are one of the first to implement the ISO 14229 Standard for fault codes. Unfortunately, as it was at the time so new, I think that a lot of the software wasn't really written with it in mind and was thus just patched to comply. (Not that I'm a software guru, but there is a very interesting article on the blackbox website about it.) Mine is in the dealers with the same untrackable error causing suspension, engine, transmission shut downs etc. The thing that annoys me though is not the 'replace everything' approach, it's the 'yep, we've tested it and it's fine now' Censored . For example, I picked mine up yesterday, with the EAS computer replaced. I was told that it had been 'fully tested' and yet I drove three minutes up the road, and full shut down. The reason? Simple. Many of the computers are not self tested upon startup, they get tested after specific variables are met, which takes time. My point is, if I know this, just from reading the information given by an aftermarket test device, how is it the 'trained' land rover expert at the dealers don't know it?
Anyway, that's my vent! I kinda feel better now. Very Happy 4wding only starts when you have to get out the cab. Everything before that is just driving on crap roads!

Post #277874 Thu Oct 14 2010 7:37am
4wheeldriver

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

That was the problem they had with the suspension on mine! There were no error codes to even point them in any direction at all for where to look!

In the end they finished up pulling another RRS off the forecourt and cannibalising it for the parts as LR told them to then take another reading to see if it made a difference!

Wee bit "old fashioned" for a vehicle as "supposedly" advanced as they claim the RRS is! Current, M135i in Estoril Blue with more extras than the cast of Ben Hur.

535d m-sport Platinum grey and a few extras.... Gone

X5 3.0 sd in Space Grey, 20's, Dynamic Pack, Memory Pack, Media Pack, Tow Pack, Rear DVD, Panoramic Sunroof, Steps, 7 Seat Pack, Reversing Camera with moving lines, programmable park heat, etc etc etc - Gone

Range Rover Sport Santorini, privacy, dvd, towpack GONE!!!

Post #277884 Thu Oct 14 2010 9:47am
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

Govette wrote:
The thing that annoys me though is not the 'replace everything' approach, it's the 'yep, we've tested it and it's fine now' Censored .

Yep I know that experience first hand very well! Evil or Very Mad Big Cry

Post #277895 Thu Oct 14 2010 10:33am
Govette

4WheelDriver,

What ended up being the diagosis (read as guess) for yours? I would suggest a bad earth, because that could cause no fault code to be logged due to the computer(s) loosing power for the briefest of moments. IE it can't log anything if it just errr, kinda fell asleep for a moment! Kinda like someone saying, "I don't snore, I've never heard myself snore" .......... or something????????????? Shocked 4wding only starts when you have to get out the cab. Everything before that is just driving on crap roads!

Post #277959 Fri Oct 15 2010 3:10am
4wheeldriver

I think it was the multimedia unit in the end but there was a list of ECUs that they changed! By that time I'd had enough of paying for a 50k motor and driving a Freelander 2 for 3 months so it was bought back! Think it was resold after that so I can't tell you for sure! The list of things is at home and I'm in Marbella at the moment but I can check it when I get home and give you the list that was changed then? Current, M135i in Estoril Blue with more extras than the cast of Ben Hur.

X5 3.0 sd in Space Grey, 20's, Dynamic Pack, Memory Pack, Media Pack, Tow Pack, Rear DVD, Panoramic Sunroof, Steps, 7 Seat Pack, Reversing Camera with moving lines, programmable park heat, etc etc etc - Gone

Post #277962 Fri Oct 15 2010 9:10am
Govette

Yes mate, a list of what was done and in what order would be much appreciated if you have it. I'm trying to stay positive about my $80,000 donation to the Land Rover Dealers of Australia appeal. (Although I think they are enjoying the donation about as much as I am, poor Censored !) I've owned her for almost twelve months now, bought privately from an owner that 'never had a days trouble with it'. I did a background check during purchase, and all LR would say was that she had had 'some' warranty work done that was all 'quite normal stuff'. Since then, it's had the phantom engine, transmission, everything else fail and log no error problem. Dealers had no idea, ended up being paint on the earth stud preventing a good earth. Then is had the sagging suspension down one side. Have had both struts down that side replaced. Apparantly now it's 'within tolerance' even though if it's left for more that two days (which seems to be quite often!) you find it sitting on the bump-stops. And now it has a suspension? fault which shuts down the whole car and suggests that you would be better off walking. (Wiring resistance checked, both EAS and Dynamic Stability computers replaced, and still no joy.)
This is my tenth LR and I thought that I had grown a thick enough skin to deal with their 'personalities' but I'm starting to loose patience with this one. Shame too, as when it's working, there is nothing that puts a bigger smile on my face. 4wding only starts when you have to get out the cab. Everything before that is just driving on crap roads!

Post #278072 Sun Oct 17 2010 1:39am
RRS_bunny

2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Well its another day, the rain stopped so we decide to hook up the trailer and go get some plants....

The rangie had been away for a week at LR again, we just got it back on Saturday, after " handbrake module sw upgrade and cleanout " and no fault codes for a week of the dealer enjoying driving my car home to work.

We got 1 km down the road with trailer and again, bing bong, suspension shut down, the car drops and we pogo down the road. So we turn around, go home and hookup the reliable cheap car ......... (we bought a new runaround car instead of putting the $$ towards the new model rangie)

I agree that when it all works its fantastic ,and an issue wouldn't bother me if they had a clue how to fix it !!!!!!!

So now I get to waste more time swapping back to the volvo again, if I can even get there without crashing Sad

Surely the seriousness of these issues should be brought to the attention of the ADR authorities to force lr to make a fix so this can't happen !

A car that bucks like a rodeo bull when the computer shuts down at 100km is seriously scary....

Edited to add that the car is now totally undrivable. LR sending someone around tomorrow to get it going.

Not a happy bunny

Post #278077 Sun Oct 17 2010 6:13am
Govette

Thought we all could do with a bit of light hearted bantering?!!
I lifted the following off the Welcome page of the Land Rover Apprenticeships website:

"Land Rover is the acknowledged world leader in 4x4 technology, and our brand is a byword for rugged yet luxurious dependability. Rolling with laughter In appointing newcomers to the network we look for those that will protect and strengthen our enviable reputation for product excellence. Rolling with laughter No one plays a more pivotal role in this than the technicians that service our customers’ vehicles. Our programme for service technician apprentices is unrivalled in its detail, embracing everything from vehicle systems basics to the latest electronics systems and their diagnostics."

That is the coolest thing I've ever heard! Its almost tempted me to go join up.

If it makes you feel any better Bunny, here's how my month is going so far:

I've seen my car this month for a total of 18 minutes;
I've executed my two dogs cause they got out (unsure how) and killed 5 sheep;
I've found out that the owner of the sheep is trying to rip me off to the tune of $500 per sheep;
I've found out that it's the 3rd time the owner has had his sheep killed by dogs that have 'strangely' got out of yards in the area;
I've just been told that on Saturday my house in Wagga was knee deep in water;
I'm now paying for the tenent to live in a hotel while I pay for new carpet, skirting boards and the odd wall covering or two;
I've found that my wife made a mistake and forgot to renew the house insurance about 8 weeks ago;
I've just had a lump the size of my thumb cut out of my back which I'm hoping won't be anything more than a errrr lump,
My idiot horse just destroyed a brand new $200 Bridle because a leaf that was obviously trying to kill him, blew past and touched him on the ear as we were putting it on him for the first time; and
I fully expect to arrive home tonight to find my wife being nailed by the post man! (Oh hang on, that can't be right, we have a post box!)

Still, could be worse......... I could be driving around in a Volvo!!!! Whistle 4wding only starts when you have to get out the cab. Everything before that is just driving on crap roads!

Post #278124 Mon Oct 18 2010 7:01am
Rislar

England 

Shocked and i though i was having a bad week Laughing If it aint broke leave it!

MY 18, Autobiography
MY 05, 07, 10,

Post #278146 Mon Oct 18 2010 11:09am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRS_bunny

Wow, Govette, that was a bad week. Hope things are getting better.

Have a broken bridle too due to a random shy and take off episode. Was practically brand new........Why can't they just break the old\cheap stuff Laughing

The rangie was taken away on a flat bed on Tuesday.......On the up side, we have a Freelander instead of a Volvo this time.

Post #278444 Fri Oct 22 2010 4:03am
4wheeldriver

You had an outcome on this yet RRS bunny?? Current, M135i in Estoril Blue with more extras than the cast of Ben Hur.

Post #279360 Wed Nov 03 2010 1:16am
RRS_bunny

Got the car back on Friday. It was ok over the weekend (took it out twice) but the suspension is now quite hard. (almost like sports suspension)

Can feel every bump in the road, which isn't how the Range rovers are supposed to feel.

Post #279361 Wed Nov 03 2010 1:19am
2nd Rower

Have the told you exactly what they've done to fix it - parts replaced, software updated etc?

FWIW, I would ask them if the car is 100% standard still.. i.e. are all the parts, software updates, configs etc, exactly like every other 2006 SC that drives around as a factory original.

Hav you thought about getting Ritters to drive it and give you their opinion on the ride firmness amnd what may have been done?

Post #279362 Wed Nov 03 2010 2:48am
2nd Rower

Maybe its a more common problem:

http://www.graysonline.com/lot/0001-75684/...port-wagon

Post #279664 Sun Nov 07 2010 8:29pm
RRS_bunny

Hi all

Took the car back to LR and they said its supposed to be like that
(hard suspension), and the other RRS supercharged car they had there was the same way.

It never had rock hard suspension in the 2 years that we had the car and only noticed the change on their last failed attempt at fixing it.

So either they are full of crap, or my RRS has always had incorrect\faulty\dodgy suspension from day 1.

So no fix.

I know my cars... its not right. Rangies are supposed to be cushy, and not feel every little deviation\bump in the road.

Thinking about getting Ritter to have a look at it, but in the end its just more $$$ and more time, the time being the major issue for me.

Incidentally, the sales guys weren't interested in trying to sell a 2010 RRS SC, despite an expression of interest and being in suit and tie.

2nd Rower - thats most interesting. Clearly someone was unwilling to spend time and\or money trying to fix it.

Post #280568 Thu Nov 18 2010 12:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>