RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > best winter tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

MGLEDHILL

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Zermatt Silver
best winter tyres

Anybody know best winter tyres for 19inch wheels?

Post #275629 Wed Sep 08 2010 9:01pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I've run the last two winters on Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow tyres and recently had to use them in August to drive to London and back after wrecking one 20" tyre and badly damaging another the day before the trip south and they worked fine on very wet motorways in the summer too. Mine have done about 5000 miles over the 2 winters and that one trip south and backand hardly look like they have been used.

There is one big but though................................ I drove from Southampton to Stirling on 22nd December last year when the M74 got closed because of the snow and my RRS was on it's 20" summer tyres, the police let me through along with most of the 4x4's. I had to think twice about putting the winter tyres back on when i got home because combined with the Grass/Gravel/Snow setting on the TR system I drove the entire Gretna/ Stirling distance in up to 15cms of snow without the TC light coming on once and the car ran beautifully at 50mph where the snow was less deep on the G/G/Snow setting. I would say that if you have a good/new set of Mud and Snow tyres at the start of the winter you probably won't need special winter tyres. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #275630 Wed Sep 08 2010 9:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JC1

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I have Vredestein wintrac extreme 4 on a spare set of wheels, size 255/55 19 Thumbs Up

I havent used them yet but they will go on soon, i decided to get them after a couple of slides in snow last year on new continentals Shocked

MY10 3.0 HSE Santorini Black, Ivory Premium & extended leather, privacy, paddles, diamond turned alloys, Ipod lead that charges, tasmods, rrsport.co.uk stickers

Jeep 4.0 High Output XJ 94 6" teraflex lift, c/w rear coils, 9500lb winch, 35" TSL super swamper boggers, safari snorkel, custom made bumpers, tom woods custom double cardon driveshaft, twin electric fans. Don't follow it..............you wont make it. The first 4 x 4 by far.

Post #275632 Wed Sep 08 2010 10:38pm
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

The local tyre depot here is now advertising a "Tyre Hotel" for you to store your spare tyres in environmetly controld condition while you run on your summer or winter tyres.
Not a help on choice of tyres tho Smile I run the Wrangler MT/R in winter and have had great use out of them, coming up for thier third winter now Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #275641 Thu Sep 09 2010 7:56am
MGLEDHILL

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Zermatt Silver

Thanks everybody for your replies.
The reason I asked was that I have a 1 in 10 drive to the house.In last winters snow and ice I coldn`t get up the drive with summer tyres in the -15deg. weather. I have bought 19in wheels-so its good to know what tyres work!!!

Post #275954 Mon Sep 13 2010 10:44pm
paulL

Spain 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

JC1

I am thinking about getting some wintrac extremes, do you know what temps they can be used upto? I live in Barcelona but go skiing a lot which is about an hour and a halfs drive. Sometimes it can be 20C here and -10 up there!!

Cheers 2013 RRS SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White
2007 RRS TDV8 HSE - gone -
2005 RRS TDV6 HSE - gone -

Post #275956 Mon Sep 13 2010 11:22pm
JC1

paulL wrote:
JC1

I am thinking about getting some wintrac extremes, do you know what temps they can be used upto? I live in Barcelona but go skiing a lot which is about an hour and a halfs drive. Sometimes it can be 20C here and -10 up there!!

Cheers

Hi Paul, this is from sister site D3, i think it answers your question:

O.K. Boys and girls, please take a look at this letter from the MD of Vredestein Tyres UK, I hope it puts your minds to rest on this subject, looks clear to me.

Mr. Andy Sargeant
AJS Tyres

11th February 2010

Dear Andy

Following our discussions and investigations on the question of ‘cold weather’ tyres being used during the summer months, I am pleased to confirm the following, which has been qualified by our technical department.

Vredestein gives the safety aspects of our tyres top priority. We have developed a wide range of tyres to offer optimal grip in every conceivable circumstance. That is why our award winning cold weather tyres are an excellent choice for the colder months of the year (average temperature below 7 Celsius), as is our summer tyre during the summer period.

If a customer chooses to run cold weather tyres all year round, there are no dangers in doing so. In fact, we would prefer customers driving with cold weather tyres throughout the whole year versus driving with summer tyres throughout the whole year.

Cold weather tyres during colder months of the year provide improved traction and braking distances can be significantly shorter compared to a summer tyre in the same conditions. Dedicated summer tyres, in summer conditions, perform slightly better than cold weather tyres. However, the difference in winter will be much greater in favour of using a dedicated cold weather application.

This makes the situation clear for everyone concerned and should resolve any misunderstanding.

Yours sincerely
Vredestein (UK) Ltd

Stuart M Jackson
Managing Director MY10 3.0 HSE Santorini Black, Ivory Premium & extended leather, privacy, paddles, diamond turned alloys, Ipod lead that charges, tasmods, rrsport.co.uk stickers

Jeep 4.0 High Output XJ 94 6" teraflex lift, c/w rear coils, 9500lb winch, 35" TSL super swamper boggers, safari snorkel, custom made bumpers, tom woods custom double cardon driveshaft, twin electric fans. Don't follow it..............you wont make it. The first 4 x 4 by far.

Post #275957 Mon Sep 13 2010 11:44pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow Cool 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #275966 Tue Sep 14 2010 9:14am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
paulL

Spain 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

JC1

Many thanks! Sounds good to me.

Cheers Paul 2013 RRS SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White
2007 RRS TDV8 HSE - gone -
2005 RRS TDV6 HSE - gone -

Post #275968 Tue Sep 14 2010 9:19am
big pimp

or how about the new General Grabber AT's from AJS?

i'll bet they would be the ultimate snow and ice and winter and rain and off road!!! MY10 HSE 3.0 TDV6 : Santorini Black : Ebony Interior w/Anigre wood : Privacy Glass (total) : Sunroof : Sidesteps : Hybrid TV : Detachable Tow Kit : Spare Wheel Cover : 22" Dished Supersports

Post #275969 Tue Sep 14 2010 9:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1