RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Roof Bars For RRSport 2007
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Jonathan

England 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White
Roof Bars For RRSport 2007

So, I had Thule roof bars, the type that clamp on to the roof rims around the top of the door. I bought the nice rounded brushed steel/aluminium looking ones and thought they were fine. But they bothered me. They weren't Land Rover. They didn't fit just right. They were ever so slightly scratching my paint work no matter how much I cleaned the area before I put them on. There was nothing else for it - I had to buy some OEM roof rails.

So - I bought direct from the dealer with a 15% discount which equated to the same amount as I could get them off ebay. I embarked on fitting them.

The first problem was getting the existing gutter covers off. The off side one came off no bother, the near side screw caps would not shift. After much hassle I cut off the tops and drilled the plastic out.

Fitted the off side and all was fine except one of the bolt holes was 1 or 2 mm out so had to file the slot a bit wider, mission accomplished. Then fitted the other side without any bother.

Put the cross bars on and again - fitted like a dream - this is all going too well.

Then got my Thule bike rack out and looked to see if that fitted...low and behold the LR bars are the same profile as the Thule ones so the bike rack fitments fit perfectly.

Never has a job gone so well!

Has anyone else tried to fit these and also fitted the Thule bike carriers to the LR roof bars. I have yet to fit a bike on to this but am picking up my 9 year olds birthday present on Sat am so would hate for it all to fall off as we are driving homee.
Someone give me some confidence that what I have done is fine and that I am not going to have bikes falling off my roof at the first attempt!!!

Cheers

Jonathan

PS - they look really tidy
PPS - if there is any interest I will post pics this weekend of car with roof rack off and on.... Jaguar XKR Convertible
MY 2012 Range Rover Sport TDV6 Autobiography in Fujian White....Mmmmmmm
Range Rover Evoque 2.2 Prestige in white - gone
Porsche Boxster S White with lots of extras! Gone
Lotus Elise 2011 Touring for sunny days - gone!

Previously....
RRS TDV8 Black 57 Plate
645ci
Jag XKR Convertible (my wife still loves this car!)
BMW 530i
BMW 328i (I loved this car)
Golf R32

Post #265174 Wed May 05 2010 10:40pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 

I don't think you'll have much problems with Thule kit on LR bars as I think I'm right in saying that the LR bars are actually made by Thule - someone correct me if I'm wrong! Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.8::MG Montego Turbo::MGB GT::Rover Sterling::MGF::MG ZT 190+
Discovery Series II Td5 GS::Discovery 3 TDV6 S::Freelander 2 TD4 XS::Freelander 2 TD4 SE
Zermatt Silver Range Rover Sport TDV6 3.0

Post #265177 Wed May 05 2010 11:07pm
Jonathan

England 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

There are a few pictures on my gallery of them fitted with the Thule bike rack also attached. I think it looks miles better than using the Thule Roof Bars that clamp on to the body work....and there's no damage to your car!

Cheers
Jonathan Jaguar XKR Convertible
MY 2012 Range Rover Sport TDV6 Autobiography in Fujian White....Mmmmmmm
Range Rover Evoque 2.2 Prestige in white - gone
Porsche Boxster S White with lots of extras! Gone
Lotus Elise 2011 Touring for sunny days - gone!

Previously....
RRS TDV8 Black 57 Plate
645ci
Jag XKR Convertible (my wife still loves this car!)
BMW 530i
BMW 328i (I loved this car)
Golf R32

Post #265419 Sat May 08 2010 12:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1