RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Blow Out at 70 mph
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

RR08

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Blow Out at 70 mph

Anyone had experience of a tyre blow out at 70 mph in the 10MY RRS, had one today very scary, though the car to be fair coped well, better than me..

Very Frightening experience, the car was fitted with 20 inch alloys, standard on the model. Car had done around 6k so not driven very much for this to happen.

Appeared that the tyre seperated on the rear tyre wall from the tread, never seen this before, just glad to have been able to get in and stop, thought the car might roll or worse, managed to get into the grass verge and just missed a bloody tree.

The option I have had is a faulty tyre, I am getting worried about LR quality lack of control or should I say LR Quality Control, this is the second, actually third problem with LR MY2010 RSS in the past month since 1st of March 2010 when I took delivery of my new RRS.

Just glad to have lived to tell the tale of this happening and still be here. Range Rover Sport HSE TDV6 - 08 Plate

Post #263552 Tue Apr 20 2010 1:49am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Firstly glad you're ok.

Remember LR don't make the tyres and if the problem was with the tyre then I think you rule out QC on LR. Please let us know your other problems with your RRS so we can get an idea what faults are appearing on the 10MY. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #263561 Tue Apr 20 2010 7:37am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Appeared that the tyre seperated on the rear tyre wall from the tread, never seen this before

do you mean the tread, seperated from the tyre, or the tyre wall gave way at the point it meets the tread area?

Have you checked the tyre pressures? It's been known that the dealer can over/under inflate them, and rhis can lead to heat built up causing seperation of the tread.

Post #263566 Tue Apr 20 2010 7:46am
MJF

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Yes,

Well done... Good to hear it wasnt serious. secondly I have been always told not to apply the breaks as this can cause a skid.

Again well done.

M

Post #263568 Tue Apr 20 2010 7:48am
Pelyma

England 

npinks wrote:

Have you checked the tyre pressures? It's been known that the dealer can over/under inflate them, and rhis can lead to heat built up causing seperation of the tread.

I don't think you can blame a dealer after 6 months for tyre pressures, I don't think you can blame them for tyre problems at all tbh. Porsche Cayenne S Diesel 66 Plate

Post #263577 Tue Apr 20 2010 8:22am
Texstar

United Kingdom 

Most blowouts on such a new vehicle are caused by excessive heat build up, due to poor wheel alignment (LR are useless at setting this correctly at the factory, and judging from my experience, some dealers are too). Whistle RRS TDV8 Buck Blue (no, not now in my dreams). ..........D3 TDclankety clankV6 ............BMW 318i

Post #263585 Tue Apr 20 2010 9:07am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Pelyma wrote:

I don't think you can blame a dealer after 6 months for tyre pressures, I don't think you can blame them for tyre problems at all tbh.

I wasn't blaming the dealer at all, it was an observation from what i have read on another thread and have happened to myself on a old car, but some drivers don't check the pressure at all, never mind once a week and if it was over pressurised or under this can happen.

its a unfortunate thing to happen, and due to it the evidence of why it its blown has gone, whether it was pressure or a nail that's punctured it.

I took a case up with michelin when we have a blow out on a tyre that had done no more than 2000miles at 120mph, I had checked the psi just prior to leaving for home, I got no fault found in what was left of the tyre but a cheque for £50 towards the £150 replacement.

Post #263588 Tue Apr 20 2010 9:57am
jonpop

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Ive heard (dont know how true) But a freinds mate had the same problem and apparently LR have been fitting under rated tyres on MY10 and dealers were aware. To the point they had provided him with tyre insurance with the sale. When he approached them they knew about problems with tyres. Might be worth looking into Thumbs Up

Post #263620 Tue Apr 20 2010 1:02pm
4wheeldriver

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:
I took a case up with michelin when we have a blow out on a tyre that had done no more than 2000miles at 120mph, I had checked the psi just prior to leaving for home, I got no fault found in what was left of the tyre but a cheque for £50 towards the £150 replacement.

When we had a blow out of a Michelin on a brand new 2 month old Scania we had a visit from the Michelin rep to hear the story. As the driver explained he was heading up the Cairnies Braes before Perth when he heard a bang and the tyre blew out the rep interrupted and said "Michelin tyres dont HAVE blow outs. They have rapid deflations........" Shocked You have to admit that's a classic line of BS!! Laughing Laughing Needless to say they had to stand for a new tyre. Current, M135i in Estoril Blue with more extras than the cast of Ben Hur.

535d m-sport Platinum grey and a few extras.... Gone

X5 3.0 sd in Space Grey, 20's, Dynamic Pack, Memory Pack, Media Pack, Tow Pack, Rear DVD, Panoramic Sunroof, Steps, 7 Seat Pack, Reversing Camera with moving lines, programmable park heat, etc etc etc - Gone

Range Rover Sport Santorini, privacy, dvd, towpack GONE!!!

Post #263622 Tue Apr 20 2010 1:24pm
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

npinks wrote:
Pelyma wrote:

I don't think you can blame a dealer after 6 months for tyre pressures, I don't think you can blame them for tyre problems at all tbh.

I wasn't blaming the dealer at all, it was an observation from what i have read on another thread and have happened to myself on a old car, but some drivers don't check the pressure at all, never mind once a week and if it was over pressurised or under this can happen.

its a unfortunate thing to happen, and due to it the evidence of why it its blown has gone, whether it was pressure or a nail that's punctured it.

Caravan tyre Question

Laughing Rolling Eyes Whistle Shocked Rolling with laughter

Post #263623 Tue Apr 20 2010 1:29pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Laughing

It was on an old Vectra, 6 tyres in 18months that thing went through and sold it will balding tyres too Evil or Very Mad

my caravan did have a blow out last year though, not a nice experience sitting on the hard shoulder with a few month old baby waiting for recovery in the rain Evil or Very Mad

Post #263632 Tue Apr 20 2010 2:06pm
4wheeldriver

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

That's part of the reason I've a twin axle. Bit more stability if 1 does let go NP. That and easier to reverse! Laughing Current, M135i in Estoril Blue with more extras than the cast of Ben Hur.

535d m-sport Platinum grey and a few extras.... Gone

X5 3.0 sd in Space Grey, 20's, Dynamic Pack, Memory Pack, Media Pack, Tow Pack, Rear DVD, Panoramic Sunroof, Steps, 7 Seat Pack, Reversing Camera with moving lines, programmable park heat, etc etc etc - Gone

Range Rover Sport Santorini, privacy, dvd, towpack GONE!!!

Post #263640 Tue Apr 20 2010 2:27pm
Vadim

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

4wheeldriver wrote:
npinks wrote:

When we had a blow out of a Michelin on a brand new 2 month old Scania we had a visit from the Michelin rep to hear the story. As the driver explained he was heading up the Cairnies Braes before Perth when he heard a bang and the tyre blew out the rep interrupted and said "Michelin tyres dont HAVE blow outs. They have rapid deflations........" Shocked You have to admit that's a classic line of BS!! Laughing Laughing Needless to say they had to stand for a new tyre.

Now, rapid deflations is something Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up oh dear it made me laugh so hard.

Overall, sounds like tyre pressure must be checked at least once a week (or have tyre pressure monitoring system installed). What about wheel alignment. How often would you need to check that on RRS? Vadim A.

Post #263808 Thu Apr 22 2010 1:37am
Vadim

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

4wheeldriver wrote:
npinks wrote:

When we had a blow out of a Michelin on a brand new 2 month old Scania we had a visit from the Michelin rep to hear the story. As the driver explained he was heading up the Cairnies Braes before Perth when he heard a bang and the tyre blew out the rep interrupted and said "Michelin tyres dont HAVE blow outs. They have rapid deflations........" Shocked You have to admit that's a classic line of BS!! Laughing Laughing Needless to say they had to stand for a new tyre.

Now, rapid deflations is something Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up oh dear it made me laugh so hard.

Overall, sounds like tyre pressure must be checked at least once a week (or have tyre pressure monitoring system installed). What about wheel alignment. How often would you need to check that on RRS? Vadim A.

Post #263809 Thu Apr 22 2010 1:37am
RR08

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

The car is was driving was a service dept car as my car is MY10 RRS and seems to like to spend most of its time in the dealership being fault diagnosed.

In respect of the blow out the car was on a duel carriageway doing 70 and suddenly a loud bang and tits up almost lost control, managed to recover the wheel and avoid road side obstacles such as a road sign and a large tree.

I have some photo's which I took with my phone, I will try to up load them on thursday some time once I have remembered how to.

Interesting that when the AA / LR assistance got on scene and helped to change the tyre, the spare was 20 below what ever the correct pressure is according to the nice patrol chap.

Now the car in question is a loan car from the dealer and should be pristine and considering the age less than 6 months and 6000 miles on the clock you would expect not to have blow out.

Just glad to be alive all considered.

That being said I am disappointed with the build quality on my RRS MY10 have had 4 faults all major, latest happened at 4.00 this morning, got an engine fault stop light warning... really cheesed off with this as my MY10 is 6 weeks old and seems to have spent more time at the garage than being driven by us... Range Rover Sport HSE TDV6 - 08 Plate

Post #263814 Thu Apr 22 2010 5:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>