RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > bluetooth/ PTI option
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

noddy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
bluetooth/ PTI option

As a newbie to both the forum and the RRS (got it last night, fantastic!), I'm still a bit confused over whether a Bluetooth phone will work if you haven't specified the Personal Telephone Integration option. As far as I can gather, for your £350 the PTI includes a handset cradle (which only fits a limited number of phone makes) and allows full access to contacts/phonebook via the satnav screen..

.. but if all I want is to make calls using the dashboard keypad & handsfree speaker/microphone using a Bluetooth phone WITHOUT having a cradle, can this be done WITHOUT the PTI option fitted?

Can anyone help me? the dealer still seems very vague about this..

cheers
nod RRS Supercharged
Java/ Ivory

'94 F355, '90 M3 Evo, '95 Integrale Evo, '97 Cooper S Works, '84 911 Cab, '89 911 Speedster, '85 6R4, '59 Routemaster and something sensible for the Mrs

Post #2537 Wed Sep 21 2005 11:18am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

I've just re-read your message and you are asking whether or not you can use a Bluetooth phone without the PTI option? I don't believe so.... or else why would the option exist? Wink

It's also important to note that the PTI option does NOT include a cradle - you have to purchase a separate cradle to fit whatever phone you have (assuming you have an approved phone). My 6230 cradle cost me £80-odd. Bit of a swizz that, but it's not any different from the ways other manufacturers implement it.

Also, you should realise that the visual aspects of integrating your phone with the car are not presented through the Satnav screen, but through the message centre and audio screen.

To use your phone via Bluetooth, you will need to have your phone search for devices and then select "Land Rover" when it appears. You will then need to enter an access code, which I believe is 2121 for the car.

As I said, I use a 6230 via a cradle and haven't had any issues with it yet. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

Hope this info helps.

Cheers
Steve 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #2538 Wed Sep 21 2005 11:38am
MDP

United Kingdom 

You need full pti option/fitted to enable use of bluetooth. I upgraded my phone to the new 6230i and although LR hav'nt launched a cradle for it yet they say it wont be long.

I must say this phone works really well with bluetooth. You dont even have to activate blutooth on your phone each time you want to use it..... the phone simply connects to your car as you get in.....its brilliant..... only downside is not being able to charge the phone ( unless I buy an in car charger )

So any one thinking of upgrading to the 6230i and also has pti fitted I can say it works great on bluetooth....... and we should'nt have to wait too long for the cradle to be available for purchase.

To find out more about approved phones ( list is updated regular according to LR ) and PTI/Bluetooth etc......follow the Link:-

http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/Vehicles/Ra...inment.htm

Cheers

MDP 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #2540 Wed Sep 21 2005 12:13pm
noddy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

OK many thanks chaps. So it looks like the dealer info to me at order-time was duff ("the HSE spec should be the same as the Disco3 and Bluetooth phones will work through the keypad & microphone/speaker without the PTI option")..

GRRRRR!!!!!

Wonder if PTI is retro-fittable..

Mat K RRS Supercharged
Java/ Ivory

'94 F355, '90 M3 Evo, '95 Integrale Evo, '97 Cooper S Works, '84 911 Cab, '89 911 Speedster, '85 6R4, '59 Routemaster and something sensible for the Mrs

Post #2543 Wed Sep 21 2005 12:32pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

OK, in the Supercharged I may eventually get ( Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil ) I will have the full fat PTI as standard and will be buying a cradle for my 6230.

So, tell me, when my 6230 is in it's cradle, can I also use the bluetooth function to bring in another phone? therefore have 2 phones connected at the same time?

That would be mucho handy if I could. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #2549 Wed Sep 21 2005 2:02pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Not according to the manual, but I haven't got two phones to try that with. It says a wired phone always overrides any other phones paired with the car. It goes on to suggest that if you want to e.g charge a phone, whilst using another via Bluetooth that you should disable BT on the wired phone. You can have up to 8 phones paired with the car over BT apparently....

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Steve 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #2551 Wed Sep 21 2005 2:15pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

RRUK wrote:

So, tell me, when my 6230 is in it's cradle, can I also use the bluetooth function to bring in another phone? therefore have 2 phones connected at the same time?.

No... the cradle will overide any bluetooth connected/paired phone. 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #2554 Wed Sep 21 2005 2:32pm
Biggles

England 

It is my understanding that you can pair five bluetooth phones with the sport, but the phone in the cradle will always have priority over the others. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #2559 Wed Sep 21 2005 4:08pm
Toodeep

United Kingdom 

Biggles wrote:
It is my understanding that you can pair five bluetooth phones with the sport, but the phone in the cradle will always have priority over the others.

True, but only one at a time can ever be linked to the car. In my experience the car always chooses the latest phone used so if your partner, for example, has been out on his or her own and their phone has been found then you go out together, the car will still look for your partner's phone first. Range Rover Sport TdV6HSE in Bonatti Grey + 20" Stormer wheels (ex X5 and ML driver)

Post #2560 Wed Sep 21 2005 4:26pm
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

Here in the US I am using a Motorola V710 (Verizon), upgraded to the latest software, mostly without hiccups via Bluetooth. A couple of times, the phone will ring but the car will not pick it up until I flip the phone open in my holster, then it's fine. So far I have had to re-pair the phone only once, otherwise I normally get in the car, start it and "Phone Attached" appears on the display. Caller ID works through the radio display, although Call Waiting and 3-Way Calling do not. Callers can hear me quite well, and viceversa. All in all, I am pretty happy with the integration, considering this phone is not on the list. Also, although it would be nice to have a cradle for it, I am wondering how many times I would end up forgetting the phone attached to it if I had one.

One thing that really bothers me however, is that while the radio mutes when the phone rings or I dial a number, the navigation system does not. It just keeps yapping away at full volume, which is annoying and disconcerting to both myself and the party I am talking to. I am wondering if this is a limitation of the Bluetooth integration or if the same happens with cradled phones. 

Post #2644 Fri Sep 23 2005 1:02am
grommet

United States 

Same as cradled... "as designed." You can, of course, turn off the voice Navigation. I guess the idea is that Navigation is a priority if you have it running; it's your annoying Navigator that can care less if you are on the phone.

I guess it would be a nice option to have as a toggle... "Mute Navigation voice while on phone." Send LR your feedback. (Don't be lazy, folks... or nothing gets improved in the future.)

Post #2647 Fri Sep 23 2005 2:53am
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

I did (to LR North America). I also asked about future availability of additional cradles for other model phones. I got the following canned reply back, although someone took the time to write it and hopefully is passing this feeback on to the powers-that-be:

--QUOTE--
Dear Umberto,

Thank you for contacting the Land Rover Customer Relationship Center.

We are always receptive to customer feedback. This is one way we learn
of concerns with our vehicles and of improvements or changes desired by
our customers. The information is then categorized and channeled to the
appropriate department.

In regards to additional phones and cradles, Land Rover is continuously
testing more phones and networks to become approved. Please check with
your local Land Rover retailer for update information.
--UNQUOTE-- 

Post #2649 Fri Sep 23 2005 6:14am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1