RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > [FAQ] WARNING - DOES YOUR FRONT SUSPENSION KNOCK?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 25 of 32 <123 ... 242526 ... 303132>

muffd

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

My own experience of Land Rover is they are absolutely willing to fix any problems. The (in)famous suspension knock is a talking point between us enthusiasts. However, I wonder how many owners who are not as enthusiastic nor knowledgeable about cars as we are even notice the knock? My friend and his wife, my mate who is a tyre dealer and my next door neighbour all have 2.7TDV6 RRS's. They are all adamant they have no knock from the suspension - and this is 3 separate owners. And in normal driving conditions they don't - until I pointed out how to make the knock apparent. My own suspension issue has been sorted under warranty and my local dealer has been excellent (Shield in Glasgow) in rectifying what was for me a minor niggle.

Other issues that we owners experience - and they are pretty much all known problems, are easily sorted and rectified by the dealer network and as Bobby confirmed earlier, a good dealer is worth his weight in gold. One thing that has impressed me with Land Rover is their willingness to hold their hands up and say 'yup, we know there is a problem with something and here is the fix'. This is demonstrated by the recent recalls for the brake servo, the high pressure fuel pump and the hand brake. This actually gives me confidence in the product as the manufacturer is willing to sort issues. My experience with Merc and BMW is quite the opposite. In taking a car in to both of these manufacturers with a fault that is a known and common issue, I have been told time and again by the service department that my problem is 'unheard of sir' and I have had to take both marques back time and again for the same issues - electrical with the mercs (3 of them) and mechanical with the BMWs.

Kenhard: With regard to my impatient and tempestuous outburst last night, I unreservedly apologise. We are all entitled to our opinions.
regards
MuffD If you see a bandwagon - it's too late.....

Java Black HSE TDV6 O7, alpaca, FF sunroof, adaptive Xenon headlights, SC grill, black privacy glass, clear indicators, tow-pack, colour-coded all black.Gone, but forever in my memory. Until my new one comes...
In the stables:Mercedes CLK 230K Cab W208; BMW 318d; VW Golf (LHD) 1.6 SE in Spain:New RRS to come soon...

Post #254083 Sat Feb 06 2010 8:35pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

A bit off topic, but it's funny you know... I hear a lot of bad stuff about BMW & Merc service depts from friends/colleagues etc. Having never owned a Merc I can't comment, but must admit my chosen BMW dealer are great. Nothing is too much trouble, I get very well treated, the service advisors are all knowledgeable (and internet savvy too, as are the sales guys) and they do what they say they're going to do when they say they're going to do it. I've been using them for 8 years now (apart from my dalliance with LR, of course) and really can't fault them.

Maybe I'm lucky Very Happy 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #254103 Sun Feb 07 2010 12:08am
muffd

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I must admit that my current BMW has been fault free since buying new in August 2009, so I have not experienced the service dept as yet. The dealer I bought from was superb from a sales perspective. My comments about BMW relate to previous cars in the family - all 5 Series. So much so that one of the cars had 3 gearboxes before BMW finally allowed a swap for a new one at a sensible cost. The new one also had to have a new box fitted and 2 clutch assemblies. The last one, a 5 Touring auto has had umpteen faults with the self leveling suspension, aircon failure, electrical gremlins etc. This is still in the family and is run by my wife's sister. If you see a bandwagon - it's too late.....

Java Black HSE TDV6 O7, alpaca, FF sunroof, adaptive Xenon headlights, SC grill, black privacy glass, clear indicators, tow-pack, colour-coded all black.Gone, but forever in my memory. Until my new one comes...
In the stables:Mercedes CLK 230K Cab W208; BMW 318d; VW Golf (LHD) 1.6 SE in Spain:New RRS to come soon...

Post #254162 Sun Feb 07 2010 11:45am
rrsjo

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

kenhard wrote:
The truth hurts doesn't it? and people do not like being reminded they own a brand which is currently at No 1 in the unreliability chart (46% incident rate)(MB 26% and 10th)Your statement "all cars have a few problems" is correct of course but from what I have seen on this and other forums with regard to the Landrover product -it can hardly be called "a few".more an epidemic !

Of course you could always go and buy a Toyota or a Lexus, who are both at the other end of the reliability chart you mention! You'd probably end up killing yourself at the moment though. Statistics don't prove anything and I know which of the three brands I'd rather be driving around in at the moment. Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #254199 Sun Feb 07 2010 4:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tboner

England 
Re

My09 TDv8 HST my first Rangey now 13 Mths old
Had recall on mine from dealer for front knock ( sratstones ) who have been superb on all aspects
10K miles now so much better than the X5 which went back in 7 times ( 11 faults ) in 12 Mths !! with 2 of the problems multiple times !!.

Don't mention Stats they are full of S*$*

My Factory HST Up for sale end of March reason ! ordered another Sport !

2009 Storn Factory HST Black Leather, Side Steps, Mudflaps and quite a bit more Smile Love it .......... 2014 5.0SC AB

Gone 5.0 SC

Post #255594 Mon Feb 15 2010 8:38am
ian

England 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Help required
I'm a new sport owner and new to the forum, Ive been looking through all the stuff you guys have posted on the knocking noise. My RRS is at the dealer for the past two days dont know what there doing, can anyone let me know what the latest fix is and what to look for when I get it back IE mods repairs?

Your help would be very much appriciated

Post #257928 Wed Mar 03 2010 9:29am
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Good luck with that Whistle L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #257980 Wed Mar 03 2010 2:19pm
dazsear

England 

My 08 TDV8 with 23k had new ball joints & a mass modification - think thats a bloody big chuck of metal...lol

Well a week later it still feels like a new car, fingers crossed it stop's that way Whistle

Daz Thumbs Up 2017 4.4 Autobiography FFRR - love this car
Gone - VW T5 Transporter
Long gone - 2009 Disco
Long gone but never out of my thoughts - 2008 TDV8 HST

Post #258001 Wed Mar 03 2010 3:42pm
ian

England 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

your not that helpful why did I sign up, thought you guys new what was going on

Post #258013 Wed Mar 03 2010 4:48pm
dazsear

England 

Ian
The latest fix is to replace the bottom ball joints with upgraded ones as I said, they also apply a mass weight (looks like a black square weight) to the suspension.

Do a search on 'does your susppension knock' there is a thread with masses of replies......look through the pages of replies and someone has posted a picture of the weight.

Mine is now perfect with these modifications done......lets see if it stops that way!

Daz 2017 4.4 Autobiography FFRR - love this car
Gone - VW T5 Transporter
Long gone - 2009 Disco

Post #258060 Wed Mar 03 2010 10:06pm
dazsear

England 

Have a look here

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic15691.html

Daz 2017 4.4 Autobiography FFRR - love this car
Gone - VW T5 Transporter
Long gone - 2009 Disco

Post #258061 Wed Mar 03 2010 10:16pm
Mountain_Rover

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Buckingham Blue

So if the knocking issue is not addressed as per the technical bulletin, is any damage or wear being done to any of the components as they were originally engineered?

Post #258174 Fri Mar 05 2010 3:29am
Micrometer

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Thats a good question Mountain. A guess seeing as the fix is to apply a mass damper which masks the noise then the answer is no. Trust me, i'm an Engineer!

Post #258738 Tue Mar 09 2010 12:31pm
leedsunited

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Just had mine in for the knocking and LTB00241 and LTB00204V4 carried out, drove 20 miles home and all seems fine, anybody tell me what the 2 LTB's actions are?

Post #259803 Tue Mar 16 2010 4:03pm
Micrometer

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

241 is to remove the body mount dampers and fit the mass absorbers on the underside of body mount 2 carrier on the chassis frame - these two things change the noise transmission. (all suspension systems on all vehicles knock - not being able to hear them is the key to keeping us all happy)!

204 is to look for components that may be generating abnormal levels of knock, ball joint and bush freeplay or damage and nut/bolt torques etc. So it depends what they found on yours as to what they did. Trust me, i'm an Engineer!

Post #259907 Wed Mar 17 2010 12:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 25 of 32 <123 ... 242526 ... 303132>