RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > SUSPENSION PROBLEM - SOUNDS LIKE A U/S SHOCK ABSORBER...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 15 of 15 <123 ... 131415

The doc

United Kingdom 

Baron, what seems to be the problem?

Post #95140 Tue Mar 20 2007 1:08am
noddy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

sorry, have been away from the forum for a bit chaps, but what splendid news - Doc, I knew it was worth making all the noise! congrats on keeping the faith when all around were telling us otherwise..

all I can say is: HALLELUJAH!!

Alas, it has come too late for the beloved Rimini TDV6.. sadly it has gone.. Crying or Very sad

BUT happily it has been replaced with an even more beloved black Supercharged! Smile which also knocks but at 2k miles nothing like as bad as the 22k mile diesel did. Will be booking it in for the suggested fix, and will be expecting a hatful of humble pie from the dealer.

Nod RRS Supercharged
Java/ Ivory

'94 F355, '90 M3 Evo, '95 Integrale Evo, '97 Cooper S Works, '84 911 Cab, '89 911 Speedster, '85 6R4, '59 Routemaster and something sensible for the Mrs

Post #95294 Tue Mar 20 2007 1:37pm
AlanM

Canada 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zambezi Silver
A late comer

I just developed the knocking noise from the from the front of my RRS

I am very gratefull to all who took part in this post - which I read throughout. With the info here i can maybe guide my dealer to a quick solution.

The only thing I was sorry to see is that, at one point, it seemed necessary to suck up to those who might help in order to get their cooperation. A problem is a problem; the terms in which it is expressed should be irrelevant. Furthermore a bit more respect and genuine concern from LR and their reps would go a long way to keeping people calm; as it was they seem determined to get people riled up then take offence when they get a natural human reaction.

Lastly, well done Doc for your perseverence and finding a decent dealer who discovered the cause of the problem (and for sticking to your guns in the post). .
Come for a visit, Victoria is beautiful!

Post #201829 Thu Dec 25 2008 12:06am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The doc

United Kingdom 

the voice of reason wrote:
Don't want to rock the boat here......but......

Firstly we have to ask why we bought a sport? if it was for the ride comfort, ultimate luxury, low cabin noise etc then sorry guys you bought the wrong model (should of spent the extra on a Range Rover)?

If however you are willing to sacrifice some of the above for, pure grunt, and excellent handling, packaged with aggressive looks then you chose right and the sport is for you.

A few facts

1. all cars make all sorts of noises, some cars are better than others at masking that noise from cabin occupants, but regardless they still make the noises

2. nobody can fix a fault that is not a fault

3. that knocking noise you ask? you mean you don't hear a similar noise on your BMW/AUDI, well hell thats because they play safe using outdated technology whilst My RRS is cutting edge (admittedly sometimes bleeding edge) but hey thats part of the Land Rover charm/ owner experience!

ARC or Active Roll Control is a major innovation in road safety devices and handling technology, no longer must we make do with suspension that is balanced between handling and comfort, now we can have both. a dynamic system that is constantly changing according to driver demand and road conditions. a system that can flick at a milliseconds notice from soft comfort to "no ! I wont let you roll this car mode", allows Granny to ride in comfort in the back on the way to the airport and then allows the driver some real fun on the way back home.

the cost, being a minor hydraulic fluid knock, a simple rule of basic physics, providing driver reassurance that the system is working to it's full potential.

or
I could stick to my boring old technology, run of the mill BMW/AUDI ?????

the technical bit..

ARC is effectively 2 halves of an anti roll bar joined in the middle by a hydraulic coupling which on demand from the Dynamic response module can immediately alter the torsion provided within the roll bar.
The module uses various sensors to determine road conditions, steering angles and roll angles combined with driver inputs along with a complex algorithm to alter the torsion through the bar by forcing more fluid in or out of the coupling, this means that fluid is force ably changing direction of flow sometimes multiple times within split seconds. Simple physics means that a water hammer or hydraulic knock is created,now should the unit not be attached to anything in space this noise would not be detectable however when attached to a vehicle it is audible. what you are hearing is not any play in any component more a resonance of noise created by the hydraulic movement within the system.

The answer (the only possible answer) have a far slower reacting solely electrical system which will with current motor technology be unable to provide the responses required, or go backwards to a non active system, sacrificing the additional safety and handling benefits this clever system provides.

In short Cars now make all sorts of noises that cars 10 years ago did not make, the problem here is that learned experience is convincing you this sound is abnormal and potentially dangerous, once you can get your head around this then you will appreciate that it's just another noise associated with the correct operation of the car just as musch as the exhaust note is.

Here endeth the lesson.

Regards

The voice of Reason.............

FYI your a CUN7.

Post #241660 Sun Nov 01 2009 7:44pm
x5pea

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

The doc wrote:

FYI your a CUN7.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

I have a knocking Rolling Eyes

Post #243787 Thu Nov 26 2009 10:49pm
The doc

United Kingdom 

Have you tried the bushes?

Failing that try a FFRR Whistle

Post #247542 Sat Jan 02 2010 11:51pm
Hog

Netherlands 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Buckingham Blue

the voice of reason wrote:
Don't want to rock the boat here......but......

Firstly we have to ask why we bought a sport? if it was for the ride comfort, ultimate luxury, low cabin noise etc then sorry guys you bought the wrong model (should of spent the extra on a Range Rover)?

If however you are willing to sacrifice some of the above for, pure grunt, and excellent handling, packaged with aggressive looks then you chose right and the sport is for you.

A few facts

1. all cars make all sorts of noises, some cars are better than others at masking that noise from cabin occupants, but regardless they still make the noises

2. nobody can fix a fault that is not a fault

3. that knocking noise you ask? you mean you don't hear a similar noise on your BMW/AUDI, well hell thats because they play safe using outdated technology whilst My RRS is cutting edge (admittedly sometimes bleeding edge) but hey thats part of the Land Rover charm/ owner experience!

ARC or Active Roll Control is a major innovation in road safety devices and handling technology, no longer must we make do with suspension that is balanced between handling and comfort, now we can have both. a dynamic system that is constantly changing according to driver demand and road conditions. a system that can flick at a milliseconds notice from soft comfort to "no ! I wont let you roll this car mode", allows Granny to ride in comfort in the back on the way to the airport and then allows the driver some real fun on the way back home.

the cost, being a minor hydraulic fluid knock, a simple rule of basic physics, providing driver reassurance that the system is working to it's full potential.

or
I could stick to my boring old technology, run of the mill BMW/AUDI ?????

the technical bit..

ARC is effectively 2 halves of an anti roll bar joined in the middle by a hydraulic coupling which on demand from the Dynamic response module can immediately alter the torsion provided within the roll bar.
The module uses various sensors to determine road conditions, steering angles and roll angles combined with driver inputs along with a complex algorithm to alter the torsion through the bar by forcing more fluid in or out of the coupling, this means that fluid is force ably changing direction of flow sometimes multiple times within split seconds. Simple physics means that a water hammer or hydraulic knock is created,now should the unit not be attached to anything in space this noise would not be detectable however when attached to a vehicle it is audible. what you are hearing is not any play in any component more a resonance of noise created by the hydraulic movement within the system.

The answer (the only possible answer) have a far slower reacting solely electrical system which will with current motor technology be unable to provide the responses required, or go backwards to a non active system, sacrificing the additional safety and handling benefits this clever system provides.

In short Cars now make all sorts of noises that cars 10 years ago did not make, the problem here is that learned experience is convincing you this sound is abnormal and potentially dangerous, once you can get your head around this then you will appreciate that it's just another noise associated with the correct operation of the car just as musch as the exhaust note is.

Here endeth the lesson.

Regards

The voice of Reason.............

An impressive understanding of technology. However I would be more impressed if LR would have been able to smooth out the noise, like they dampen the diesel sound in the TDV6. That is what you expect from a car of this signature

Post #506544 Tue Sep 27 2016 5:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 15 of 15 <123 ... 131415