RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > [FAQ] WARNING - DOES YOUR FRONT SUSPENSION KNOCK?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 16 of 32 <123 ... 151617 ... 303132>

Josh

United Kingdom 

Just had the confirmation call. Parts are in and it's being done tomorrow. Yippee Exclamation TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #198846 Mon Dec 08 2008 11:27am
Josh

United Kingdom 

Tsb done. New design ball joints fitted and all is quiet. On a long run Fri so will report back then.

New wheels fitted Thumbs Up

So now I've got a set of four 20" TDV8/SC alloys with contis fitted to sell. Tyres have done 9K miles, so plenty of wear left in them and no kerb damage. Any one know what is a realistic price to sell them for Question

and/or...Does anyone know of anyone looking for a set Question TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone

Post #199101 Wed Dec 10 2008 4:49pm
Markos

Slovenia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Josh fingers crossed Thumbs Up . Keep us - knocking Big Cry informed. With the new ball joints you mean the white plastic things? 2008 RRS TDV8 HSE, Java black, Alpaca,.....

Post #199130 Wed Dec 10 2008 5:27pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the new revised ball joints WILL NOT cure your problem, it may temporarily fix the issue, but as per the bushes and the whole new air suspension unit - mark my words the noise WILL return.

I hope it doesn't, but the news filtering down is that this only quietens down the noise on a temporary basis.

Big Cry Big Cry L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #199149 Wed Dec 10 2008 6:46pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

Dealer told me they've done 4 others so far with no repeat problems so far. So shall keep my fingers crossed, Bow down Bow down Bow down TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone

Post #199268 Thu Dec 11 2008 2:39pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Josh wrote:
Dealer told me they've done 4 others so far with no repeat problems so far. So shall keep my fingers crossed, Bow down Bow down Bow down

...try toes as well Wink L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

Post #199272 Thu Dec 11 2008 3:00pm
Misery

United Kingdom 

Just had mine done as well all quiet so far every thing is crossed, but typically on the way home decided to open the sunroof and guess what yes it failed to open so back to the dealer again. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Post #199287 Thu Dec 11 2008 3:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Josh

United Kingdom 

Misery wrote:
Just had mine done as well all quiet so far every thing is crossed, but typically on the way home decided to open the sunroof and guess what yes it failed to open so back to the dealer again. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Well that's two members done. Any more to join us Question

When you getting yours done Will Question TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone

Post #199314 Thu Dec 11 2008 4:40pm
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Josh wrote:
Misery wrote:

Well that's two members done. Any more to join us Question

When you getting yours done Will Question

Josh,

I won't be. As previously posted, the fix is temporary, even though this may seem contradictory to what your dealer is telling you. The ball joints are ONLY replaced if they are outside of tolerance, which mine are not. The ball joints do not contribute towards the knocking noise and are simply a weak spot that LR have uncovered and need to be replaced on certain cars.

I would guess that the reason your car has become quiet is because, as part of that process, the bushes are replaced when putting the car back together, hence the subdued knocking. I hope my sources are wrong, but I would suspect that your knocking noise will raise its head once more in the coming few weeks.

BTW - Misery had the bushes changed, not the ball joints Thumbs Up L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

Post #199322 Thu Dec 11 2008 5:01pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

Got the message Will.

New Design Ball Joint

Been driving it for a few days now over about 200 miles. It's definately quieter than it was, in that the constant metallic rattle has gone that I had even on good roads. So I feel that the new design ball joints have silenced that paticular problem.

But I still can hear some occasional clonking from the front suspension on rough A roads. When the road surface improves it stops.

LR............Maybe it needs better sound proofing in the front compartment bulk head Question Idea Question TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone

Post #199800 Mon Dec 15 2008 11:59am
BIG BAD RANGE

England 
KNOCKING SUSPENSION

RRSJO hi you write , that you took the 15amp fuse relating to the ARC system and you got a warning light
on thr dash BUT the knocking noise had GONE ,,, can i remove my fuse , thus no more knocking , will the Range drive okay still ??

Please let me know.. many thanks

Post #201990 Sat Dec 27 2008 10:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Markos

Slovenia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

It will drive but the DR is not going to work.... 2008 RRS TDV8 HSE, Java black, Alpaca,.....

Post #201994 Sat Dec 27 2008 11:27pm
rrsjo

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
Re: KNOCKING SUSPENSION

BIG BAD RANGE wrote:
RRSJO hi you write , that you took the 15amp fuse relating to the ARC system and you got a warning light
on thr dash BUT the knocking noise had GONE ,,, can i remove my fuse , thus no more knocking , will the Range drive okay still ??

Please let me know.. many thanks

I only suggested removing the ARC fuse as final confirmation that the knock was being caused by the ARC system and not something else. My dealer has found some cars knock with the violent steering wheel movement test but still knock with the ARC fuse removed. The knock has then been traced to the steering rack moving from side to side. The main thing is to find a dealer who is willing to investigate the cause of any knocking noise, rather than a dealer who just makes assumptions and issues statements along the lines of "thats normal - they all do that". Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #202162 Mon Dec 29 2008 10:13am
PauloAmore

Scotland 

Knocking solved...

In my case, 2 bushes 3 or 4" either side of the Dynamic Response unit. (maybe attached to the anti roll bar).
- So nice to have a dealer that actually knows what the problem is and keeps trying to fix it.

Seems these bushes (which remain the original design) seem tight until the car is on a ramp. Then if there is even slight play in them, they seem to make the knocking noise. Seems to transfer shocks directly into the chassis.

A £15 part paid for by the dealer and a 2 hour fit. Thumbs Up

Point is, if you are in the North East of Scotland and have knocking, call T&C Aberdeen.

The other thing I would say, is that there is no guarantee that this fix is permanent, especially since the bushes are original design. FYI - May car had ball joints done a while back (not new withdrawn design) and that was not the fault on my car. I also have the chassis attachment thingy removed. NO help, so will get that put back on. There is some talk at the dealer of adjusting where the car sits on the chassis! Shocked 2022 P440e AB

Post #202999 Fri Jan 02 2009 6:15pm
PauloAmore

Scotland 
Re: KNOCKING SUSPENSION

rrsjo wrote:

The main thing is to find a dealer who is willing to investigate the cause of any knocking noise, rather than a dealer who just makes assumptions and issues statements along the lines of "thats normal - they all do that".

Yup, for sure. I'd go mental if a dealer suggested that the knocking was a characteristic of the car. 2022 P440e AB

Post #203000 Fri Jan 02 2009 6:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 16 of 32 <123 ... 151617 ... 303132>