Page 1 of 1

William

Qatar 2007 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Buckingham Blue
My 3rd Visit to the Dealer

Hi All,

Long time since my last post. Been to the dealer yesterday for my
3rd service (after like 18 months of ownership and 19,000 KM on the
Odometer)

I was told that the 3rd Service is a simple Oil/Filters Change.

However, upon inspecting the brake pads, the senior service advisor
informed me that my pads needed changing (all 4 sides). Eventhough,
the brake sensor did not give me any warning yet, I accepted and gave
him authorization to change them all for like $105 LABOR + $245 PARTS

After few hours I was informed that "following further inspections", I was told that the surface
on my two front BRAKE DISKS were found to be slightly rough and bumpy. Again the
service advisor asked for my permission to change them for an additional cost and
said that: "failure to change the BRAKE DISKS will affect the life of my new pads
and that they will not last me as long as the original pads did (i.e, 19,000 KM)"

I disagreed and argued that the sensors never went ON. Isn't it the job of the brake
sensor to warn me when the pads should be changed "before" the Pad metal
rubbs against the Brake Disks?

The service advisor agreed with me but then stated that even if the issue sounded
like a factory-defect. The Brake Disks are not covered by the factory warranty and that
I will need to pay for the LABOR and PARTS myself.

At the end I did not change them but now feel quite upset by the whole issue Sad

What do you all think?

William RRS 2007 HSE V8 * Buckingham Blue * Ebony Leather * Cooler Box * Sunroof * Navigation * PTI Bluetooth * Side Steps * Mud Flaps * Body Side Mouldings * V-Kool V70 Heat Insulation Glass Film * Clear Side Repeaters * Color-coded Side Vents + Grille + Door Handles + Door Mirrors * S/C Rear Decals + Door & Steering Emblems * S/C Exhaust Catbacks * Tasmod Sills * Nokia Cradle + Phone * 22" Stormers * 1st Edition Badge Very Happy

New Pics: http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/index.php?cat=11210

Post #197214 Sun Nov 23 2008 9:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Texstar

United Kingdom 

Hi William,Going by the way my discs and pads have worn (D3), The pads could feasibly have been getting fairly close to the wear sensor by that mileage, so they rightly asked your permission to change them. Had you looked at them yourself beforehand? I'd be surprised if the discs would need changing however, these, by my reckoning would on average require changing maybe after three sets of pads have been used on them. (Depending upon how you drive though). I think I would just see how the new pads go with the discs as they are, the new pads will soon bed in to them, and re assess the discs next time, unless they are obviously worn to the minimum thickness or badly grooved / scored already. They were probably trying to get more dosh out of you (not uncommon, I'm afraid). Good Luck. Thumbs Up BTW, only 3 dealer visits in 18 months, that's good going.. Laughing RRS TDV8 Buck Blue (no, not now in my dreams). ..........D3 TDclankety clankV6 ............BMW 318i

Post #197221 Sun Nov 23 2008 10:04pm
Rob_J

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

William,

this is a try on.

Discs at 19k is complete & utter nonsense. There is no way you can go through a set of discs in that time. Even pads at that distance is questionable. The deaaler is trying it on. HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
911GT3 (Guards Red, carbon interior)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #197238 Mon Nov 24 2008 12:13am
Fiftybe

Belgium 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

I agree ! Discs are supposed to last anywhere between 50 000 and 150 000 km depending on the way you drive... Furthermore, should you disc be damage, you'd get a vibration feedback in the steering as you gently tap the brakes! 2007 TDV8 Buckingham/Sand (daily driver)
2005 BMW X5 3.0d (for the wife & kids)
2005 BMW M6 (for fun)
2003 Smart Fortwo cabrio (For the city)
2009 Lexus RX400h (sold)
1996 Lada Niva
1987 Golf Mk2 GTI 16v
1967 Fiat 500 L

Post #197258 Mon Nov 24 2008 8:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1