RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > What is the most important part of buying a car?
Apart from the actual price of the vehicle, please select which is most important to you when buying a vehicle.
Dealership location
3%
 3%  [1]
Dealership facilities & atmosphere
3%
 3%  [1]
Dealership communication during negotiations
0%
 0%  [0]
Sales Executive's ability and willingness to understand your requirements
7%
 7%  [2]
Sales Executive's fullfilment of commitments made to you
14%
 14%  [4]
Sales Executive's enthusiasm and the rapport built with the customer
42%
 42%  [12]
Length, quality and appropriateness of the test-drive
10%
 10%  [3]
Availability of demonstration and display vehicles
7%
 7%  [2]
Ability of the Finance Manager to structure a suitable package
3%
 3%  [1]
Quick and easy process from placing the order to collecting the vehicle
7%
 7%  [2]
None of the above (if so could you summerise what is important to you?)
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes: 28

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Josh

United Kingdom 

Enthusiasm, knowledge (because when I walk into the showroom I've already done my homework), honesty about issues, don't prejudge by clothing/looks (had that from Mercedes just because I arrived on a mountain bike in shorts an' T shirt), keep the customer updated frequently on his/her order, ensure that the order is correct by making sure the customer is aware of the options (since most of LR's don't even appear on the web site or brochures!).

Every person who walks through that door should be welcomed. Even if they are not ready to purchase they will remember the first encounter and if it was good they are likely to return or tell their friends. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #173708 Fri Jun 20 2008 3:48pm
Pelyma

England 

shmoogle wrote:
Agreed... as long as we can still say how all D3s are driven by pikeys with a spare bit of tarmac in the back Whistle

Censored Off 320 boy Porsche Cayenne S Diesel 66 Plate

Post #173730 Fri Jun 20 2008 5:33pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

once order a car (Kia Sportage Embarassed )and the sales manager couldn't give a ETA on delivery there and then as it was the brand new model that had just been launch and told me to call back on Monday.

Called back and he was out, and was asked to call back again later that day.

I called back and got told i was been too pushy, to which i responded i was doing what was asked by them and he threaten to cancel the order Shocked which i did straight away after the phone call.

Now thats bad service Exclamation Order from a different garage and got a better deal Very Happy

Post #173741 Fri Jun 20 2008 7:39pm
Steve in germany

Germany 

Well done James, I know for sure this will put a rocket up maybe 2/3 of your sales staff. Take note other DP's following this thread! The first contact with the customer is critical, if the customer does not get that "warm feeling" from the sales person or lack of enthusiasm, they will be making for the door as quickly as they entered. Now, we all know you get your dreamers, but so what, at least they show interest and pasion for the brand, and who knows, circumstances can change very quickly, but most importantly their experiences of the dealership could be conveyed to someone who is very much in a position to purchase, whether that be family members, friends or in the work place. In the current and foreseable climate all footfall must be taken seriously.

Cracking post. Thumbs Up Speed Limits! not where I live!

Back in a D3

Did have: RRS TDV8 2008.5MY
Did have: Q7 3.0TDi S-Line/Tech/Comms pack
Did Have: Disco3 HSE

Post #173742 Fri Jun 20 2008 7:45pm
Rupert

Ireland 

I’d have to row in on the “Attitude” being one of, if not the most important things to get right.

I too have been ignored & snubbed due to my age and/or appearance in the past. Most notably in BMW & Audi / VW garages BTW.

If I get the correct vibe from the salesman on the first point of contact it goes a long way. If I don’t, well then I’m outta there in a flash. We have several Land Rovers here & have been with the same dealer for years & have never considered even pricing elsewhere. Solely down to the attitude of the staff.

I’ve experienced in a dealership, (not LR) where the sales dept were second to none in their dealings with me. But once the sale was complete & I was dealing with the service dept, it was a totally different story. While I felt valued in my dealings with the salesman, I was treated as nothing more than a number when it came to the service dept.

So while your initial impressions are formed with the sales team, if the whole thing falls down with the service dept that’s no good either.

You really only deal with the sales team for the time you spend buying, but it’s the service dept you will deal with throughout the ownership of the vehicle. So really the entire package has to be right. It’s no use in having a great purchasing experience, if the follow up is rubbish.

I can honestly say that if the attitude at my LR dealer were to change, or if staff changes resulted in a downgrading of my current experience, I would change brands & that is after 15 years of Land Rover ownership in the family !!!

It is all down to the attitude in my book !

Post #173748 Fri Jun 20 2008 8:56pm
Lookers Park Royal

Just another note to thank you all for your input. I'd like to think that we have a customer focused sales team at Park Royal, so this information will not be used to whip anyone with, however any dealer reading this post needs to take every single comment on board and act on it, as it's 'direct from the horses mouth'! Thumbs Up

Thanks again, it's really interesting to read everyones comments!

James Very Happy

Post #173754 Fri Jun 20 2008 10:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rob_J

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Attitude has got to be one of the most important factors.

There appears to be no consistent patterns across dealerships. Generally I find the "attitude" better in the premium brands than the lessar brands. I found completely different attitudes in the different branches of the same dealership.

Bad attitude is :

Q: What insurance group is the car?
A: Why have you got an insurance problem?
A VW dealership

Q: So what options are available?
A: What options could you possibly need?
Another VW dealership

Q: Can I have a test drive?
A: No.
Q : So you are saying I can't have a test drive before I buy?
A : Correct
A Ford dealership

Good Attitude is :
Q: Can I have a test drive?
A: Sure, we can get you a car in, let me know when you want it & you can take it for the day.
Mercedes dealership

Bad attitude is :
Q: Hello is there anyone in this showroom who will put down their phone & talk to me?
A: ........................................................
Different branch of same Mercedes dealership

Good attitude is :
Q : have you ever driven a 911 before.
A : No.
Q: Well I don't have one here now but I'll call you Tuesday & we'll sort it out (And he did, spent 2hrs on a drive on a Saturday, in a top of range 911). I'd walked in in a scruffy t-shirt, shorts & trainers.
Porsche dealership

Guess which dealerships I bought from. The other important factor is post order service, does the salesman keep in touch, follow up on a regular basis until delivery or does he just give the impression that he was only interested in getting your order. HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
911GT3 (Guards Red, carbon interior)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #173800 Sat Jun 21 2008 11:02am
Kaine

United Kingdom 

this really highlights the importance of a salesman on the brand itself. I've never been impressed with VW up until buying my new Touareg - the salesman and dealer were fantastic (in fact the best dealer I've ever dealt with to date), plus I had a very good experience with Merc when I asked for a GL420 demo and they had one driven across the country for me to have for the day - this experience basically made me decide to get a GL420 however at the last minute my wife decided it was just too big.

On a Landrover note, my experience when buying my RRS was good apart from a few issues that dissappointed;
1) When my sales contact wasn't in, noone else was able/bothered to help with my pre-delivery enquiries - I was consistantly told to ring back tomorrow Rolling Eyes
2) Once I had received the car my wife had a meeting with a post and I went through the dealer to get the repair. Once I'd booked the car in and was told I could have a courtesy car I then discovered they were just sending the RRS out to a Jeep dealer for repair and they could give me a Clio or Punto or something similar. I asked for a LR product and even offered to pay - this was refused on the basis of customer policy. I called back a few times to speak to my sales contact and I never received any call back. (Note: I paid FULL book for my RRS - no discount - as doing this I stupidly expected good service)
3) While the car was in I asked if they could get me two clips for the towing eye cover (as I'd broken them when refitting) - they charged me over £25 for 2 clips Shocked

This is only anecdotal of course, however the key point for me is it hasn't put me off LR products for a second - just the dealer. I am amazed how people have one bad experience with a dealer and get put off the brand for life, however this is a reality that I guess dealers are (or should be) aware of.

Personally when/if I go back to LR I will be calling James at CH - period!!!

Finally in case of BMW, I have never had a good experience - in fact my last experience was a shocker Rolling Eyes

Kaine

Post #173821 Sat Jun 21 2008 1:46pm
Lookers Park Royal

Thanks Kaine Embarassed

Post #173824 Sat Jun 21 2008 2:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kaine

United Kingdom 

no worries - just the truth Thumbs Up

Post #173825 Sat Jun 21 2008 2:14pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

James, I think Kaine has a good point.

Not many of the guys on the forum will have met you however the impression is of a well run, and caring dealership (All too rare these days sadly!) which also appears to offer excellent after sales service makes me think that if we do stick with LR/RR top replace the Sport, and decide to buy in the UK and drive it back here then we will be booking our flights to London and buy through yourself.

The fact that you have started a fantastic, insightful and wholly encouraging thread where by the answers from genuine LR customers (And other premium brands) will be taken on board and passed on is to be whooly commended Thumbs Up

A mate of mine bought a Brand new 996 Carerra S from a dealership in Manchester and was offered no discount whatsoever. Fair enough, we all know discounts on new 911's are hard to come by. He asked after signing the deal for over £70k whether he could have one of the Porsche pencils for his lad to take to school. He was refused! Shocked

The boggle minds! Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #173852 Sat Jun 21 2008 7:56pm
ViewWise

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Charles Hurst Park Royal wrote:
Spot-On Supertrotter, thanks for that! You can never pre-judge anyone, and certainly can't make a judgement based on age. Hopefully Viewise (forum member) will understand what I mean, and appreciate that we can't be accused of that!!

Thanks again,

James Thumbs Up

Yup the whole buying experience was pretty much perfect (you guys managed to convinced me to buy a slightly more expensive car so you definately did something right! Thumbs Up ). I generally dont need anyone to sell me a car although its a bonus if they know alot about it. In my opinion the dealer is there to sell me a service. Brokers can source cars and have them delivered these days with minimal hassle.

I went to a bmw dealer the other day to look at a 4 door M3 and parked the range on their doorstep. They practically threw the keys at me. As oposed to being told im not old enough to drive the E46 M3 last year when i was interested and just walked in (and promptly walked out).

James if theres anything after you guys having my car for 2 weeks to repair i realised would have made it less off an issue if someone could simply just call in the morning to even just give an update. Even if there is nothing to update because parts didnt arrive just helps being less stressed. I think service is hard to get right because as a customer im already annoyed i dont have my car period so any little thing can just get to me.

On the note of test drives, i know its difficult but it really would be nice to be able to test drive a car for the day (i didnt need to for the range since id spent alot of time driving a TDV8 previously). I drive alot of different cars and adapt very quickly but i only really appreciate the differences when i drive it in the same situations as i am going to use it.

I voted for quick and easy process though. Since end of the day i dont want to be having a back and forth with you guys (no matter how nice you are Laughing ) waiting for everything to sort out!

Supertrotter - Shocked Shocked I would have ripped up the contract if after spending 70k they refused my little sister something so trivial. Pretty sure they would have quickly brought out alot more than a pencil.

Post #174196 Tue Jun 24 2008 12:21pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Agree Thumbs Up

And he went back 18 months later to buy his missus a Cayenne S Shocked Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #174224 Tue Jun 24 2008 2:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12