RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > L.R. Policy Letter Unauthorized Power upgrades
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

SN

England 

Just to add to this - my D3 went in to a dealer TODAY for some warranty work - initially just a look at an "Engine System Fault" that I'd seen. But the dealer rung me up this afternoon to tell me I also needed a new front diff ... AND in a 'matter of fact' voice the service guy asked me "Have you had it remapped?" I haven't had it done, as it happens, but this is the first time I've ever been asked. One wonders whether a 'failed diff' (i.e. part of the drivetrain) triggered that question? Steve N | 21MY Defender (on order) | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)

Post #171300 Mon Jun 02 2008 2:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jonny Fresh

England 

bex wrote:
If you look closely the bulletin is not dated 04/2007 but listed as bulletin 04/2067 and has just been released Sad

No it says Date: 04/2007, if you click on the pic it zooms in, its definitely the date.

Post #171301 Mon Jun 02 2008 2:44pm
SN

England 

if you download the word version, in the File Properties it ALSO declares a date of April 2007 - and this is VERY difficult to hack Steve N | 21MY Defender (on order) | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)

Post #171302 Mon Jun 02 2008 2:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bex

So now if owners have front diff failures LR now assume (or at least ask the question) that you may have had your car chipped?! Shocked

Post #171390 Tue Jun 03 2008 5:58am
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

SN, did they ask if you ever went "offroad". Your avatar photos look like the car has been pressure washed in sand filled water (aka grinding paste). Whilst that can be washed off exterior parts, it is injected at high pressure into every space, through many seals, into bearings and electrical connections on your car, where it stays. The front diff and wheel bearings are particularly vulnerable. I bet if LR strip the front diff they will find sand and mud in it. Naturally if LR denied a warranty claim on those grounds there would be uproar. But bear in mind, the grinding paste can take a couple of years to wreak havoc so the vehicle may be out of warranty by then. And the list price of a front diff is almost £1,000 ! RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #171397 Tue Jun 03 2008 8:42am
MX

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black

In fairness, Steve doesnt actually clean the car at all. He waits for the stealer to do it for him at service intervals. It would be an interesting conversation if LR were to deny any replacement diff claim on the basis of poor vehicle washing when their own valeters do it for him !!!!! RRS TDV6 SE Java Black +towpack +tintent +Permagrin

What a difference between this and my old Disco3
Formerly mxgeldar7

Post #173078 Tue Jun 17 2008 9:17am
Lateral5

Australia 

Not that I have done it myself, but...you would have to question why a 3 tonne trucks transmission cannot handle a modest increase in torque from an upgrade.....surely these upgrades don't double or triple torque do they??

My car has had just about everything replaced under warranty without being chipped.

Easy to blame something to smokescreen poorly spec'd OEM components and build quality... RRS TDV6 Bluetooth, VR, Roof

Post #173096 Tue Jun 17 2008 11:23am
simonsi

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost

Lateral5 wrote:
...you would have to question why a 3 tonne trucks transmission cannot handle a modest increase in torque from an upgrade...

Especially when the same component is fitted in higher-output versions of the same truck... Cheers

Simon

2007 2.7HSE 20" Wheels
2005 TDV6 D3 S Auto - Zambezi Silver - JE Tune - RRS 19" - Sidesteps - Roof Rails
Body Side Strips - Xenons - Bright Pack - Cold Pack - Premium Stereo
Alpine Roof - Towpack - Alpine Touchscreen Satnav - Veba Rear DVD changer
Alpine Roof Monitor - Webasto FBH Timer - Brembo Frt & S/C Rr Brakes

Post #173129 Tue Jun 17 2008 1:46pm
Lateral5

Australia 

simonsi wrote:
Especially when the same component is fitted in higher-output versions of the same truck...

Exactly! Thumbs Up RRS TDV6 Bluetooth, VR, Roof

Post #173130 Tue Jun 17 2008 1:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12