RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Sand Duning In South Africa
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Seanvodashop

South Africa 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver
Sand Duning In South Africa

What an experience. Check out the photos in the Gallery under Sand-Duning in RSA.( Unfortunately my cameras battery went flat, so only a few photos) I got my TDV8 on the 4 Dec 07 and the very next day we went sand duning. The track was about 20km long and an absalute blast. My best performance was on the Ice setting/DSC off/ Low Range 3rd gear/ Tyres 1 Bar. My only problem was that the 20's on my car picked up some sidewall abrasion due to the deflation. I am looking for a set of of 19's seeing as the front Brembos don't allow for smaller rims. No serious damage except for my left water deflecting fin under the front bumper and the RRS alluminium strips on the cabin floor came lose. Big Cry

Post #152222 Mon Jan 21 2008 6:50am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sportman

United Arab Emirates 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Buckingham Blue

qho you did not use sand setting in the terrian responce and why low gearing yoo need more momentoum that hight torque

check my gallery for some sand seans with camels and RRS 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Buckingham Blue, Ivory converted to HST Silver

SOLD-V8 Defender 90

Post #152240 Mon Jan 21 2008 11:19am
Seanvodashop

Hi Sportman, these dune are coastal sanddunes that have very high traffic and as a result of the traffic the dunes start forming corrugation humps and therefore the ice setting, which stiffens the suspention, causes less energy loss through the car bouncing and works like a charm. The reason I use low range is because when my TDV8 is in high it gears up too far (4th/5th) based on the speed and revs and then refuses to gear down when I need higher revs again, resulting in high gear low speed. Another reason is that when you drive in Low it puts less stress on the motor, but still gives enough speed and momentum in the soft sand. If you have advice to give, I'll take it gladly seeing as you should be an expert considering your location.

Post #152288 Mon Jan 21 2008 2:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Leo

Kenya 

Seanvodashop, good to see a RRS offroad in SA. I'd recommend you take off the front spoilers next time - just a couple of screws, or they WILL get damaged.......I think Compomotive may have a distributer in SA - their 18" PD1880 Rally rim fits the TDV8 or Supercharged and 18" tyres are easier to find than 19" Goodyear MTRs (the only choice in this size).

Have you tried the quality of diesel outside SA yet?

Post #152290 Mon Jan 21 2008 3:10pm
Seanvodashop

Thanks Leo, are you sure that the 18's fit the Brembo calipers? No I havn't tried outa RSA diesel yet, but I know that we don't have the best D arround. Thanks again.

Post #152301 Mon Jan 21 2008 7:13pm
Leo

Kenya 

Yes, 100% sure that the Compomotive 18" in the link below will fit without modifying the Brembo calipers - unlike most other 18"ers. Can you get 19" Goodyear MTRs in SA? I know you can get 18" Bridgestones. Anyway, check out page 2 of the following link:
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21546

Leo

Post #152328 Mon Jan 21 2008 11:17pm
Seanvodashop

Shot Leo, I'm gonna give the 18's a bash. Let u know about the MTR's

Post #152350 Tue Jan 22 2008 5:50am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1