RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Newby with a slight problem.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

TallEric

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Newby with a slight problem.

Hi guys. My first post here and it's to ask for advice. Picked up my "new to me " RRS 2010 on Friday and I already love it. However it only came with one key......and that key doesn't have the key blade either. I'd hate to get locked out of my own car for any reason so what are my options please.........both for a second key and getting a blade cut without one to work from?

Post #639030 Mon Jan 22 2024 8:16pm
Hodson91

Hi and welcome, im a newbie too and having a few issues with mine that ive recently bought, problems ive not across even after working on them for the past 10 years.
Anyway, im pretty sure Land rover should be able to get them cut by using your chassis number... unless that is just within a certain age limit im not sure, but im sure we've ordered keys before and have come already cut... coding them in is also an issue now and the majority of cars will require a new RFA/KVM. When i connected my car to SDD it stated that RFA was outdated and couldnt perform the key programming... whether other diagnostic software will allow you i dont know but SDD didnt allow me as mine also only has one key.

Worth a call at your local land rover and see what they can do but you'll obviously pay a premium for it, unless of course the keys are still back ordered... dont get me started on LR parts atm haha

Another thing to consider is ringing a breakers and see if they can supply you just a key blade and door locking barrel because that is all the key blade is essentially for and the barrels are easily changed it is only the fob itself which needs programming... 2010 RRS, TDV6
Santorini Black / Black Leather Interior
Black Side Steps, Black Autobiography Grill and Side Vents
22" Calibre Satin Black Alloys

ALSO IN THE FLEET
X2 2008 Focus 2.5 Turbo ST225 both approx 330bhp, Electric Orange
2011 Mondeo 2.2 Titanium X Sport Auto, Frozen White
2007 Fiesta ST150 2.0, Silver
2011 Swift Challenger 570SR Caravan

Post #639036 Mon Jan 22 2024 11:30pm
Pistnbroke

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Galway Green

Look in the handbook and I am sure you will find there is a key concealed in the fob and a key hole concealed in the passenger door handle Always listen to old people or when they die you will live on in ignorance.
The avatar is a picture of the man with a big cock.
Learned to 4x4 on 100 mile beach and Frazer Island QLD
Dont spend money on old cars you will never get it back

Post #639037 Mon Jan 22 2024 11:31pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

You can actually buy the passengers side door lock barrel and two key kit from L/R if you get really stuck, it is only the key blades not the fobs as well, but it is stupid money as usual.

LR013952

Cheers
Col

Post #639042 Tue Jan 23 2024 12:10am
TallEric

Ok....so I thought I'd give a quick update on this which may hopefully help others if they find themselves in the same position.

I took a trip to my local dealer who confirmed that they could indeed cut me a new key once I'd let them see my V5 and some ID and they would charge me the princely sum of £120 +vat........they could also supply me with a new fob coded to my car and for the new fob complete with a blade they would like close to £600. I decided to think on this for a while for obvious reasons.

I then did a little research and found a local automotive locksmith who assured me that he could help "no problem" so this afternoon I paid him a visit.........within 20 minutes of me arriving he had coded a brand new key to my car.....then the fun part began.......he spent twenty minutes kneeling by my passenger door using a clever "lockpick" which he used to "decode" my lock. Once he had worked out what was going on inside my lock he transferred this information to a cutting machine which cut two new blades.....one for my new fob and one for my old one. And the price for all of this to happen..........£218. To say that I'm impressed is an understatement. Thumbs Up

Post #639719 Fri Feb 16 2024 5:34pm
Hodson91

That was a result mate. I work for and own a land rover and to say the prices we charge are extortionate is an under statement. I for one tend to not use genuine bits unless i have to, saying that when I was practically rebuilding my l320 some of the bits were cheaper from us, although I was getting the bits for cost price. But you did well there mate and im glad you got the service you wanted at a fraction of the price 2010 RRS, TDV6
Santorini Black / Black Leather Interior
Black Side Steps, Black Autobiography Grill and Side Vents
22" Calibre Satin Black Alloys

ALSO IN THE FLEET
X2 2008 Focus 2.5 Turbo ST225 both approx 330bhp, Electric Orange
2011 Mondeo 2.2 Titanium X Sport Auto, Frozen White
2007 Fiesta ST150 2.0, Silver
2011 Swift Challenger 570SR Caravan

Post #639729 Fri Feb 16 2024 11:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1