RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > High mileage V8 Autobiography query?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

snerkler

United Kingdom 
High mileage V8 Autobiography query?

I’ve seen a 2015 Petrol V8 Autobiography that I like the look of, however it’s done 76,000 miles. Are there any issues I need to look out for with a car of this age and mileage, and are there any expensive bills on the horizon (timing belt, clutch etc etc?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Post #629099 Wed Dec 14 2022 7:39pm
Johnrrs

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Zambezi Silver

Mines a 2015 diesel V6 and it’s just had all the belts done as part of the 7 year service. Cost almost £1K so make sure it’s been done. Also I’m sure all transfer box fluids need changing every 5 years so check that too. I would scrutinies the service history to make sure it’s been done as per LR schedule. There is a print out on this forum somewhere that tells you what needs doing and when. The mileage would not worry me at all.

Post #629101 Wed Dec 14 2022 8:38pm
snerkler

United Kingdom 

Johnrrs wrote:
Mines a 2015 diesel V6 and it’s just had all the belts done as part of the 7 year service. Cost almost £1K so make sure it’s been done. Also I’m sure all transfer box fluids need changing every 5 years so check that too. I would scrutinies the service history to make sure it’s been done as per LR schedule. There is a print out on this forum somewhere that tells you what needs doing and when. The mileage would not worry me at all.

Thanks, I'll definitely check those things out and try to find the LR schedule.

Post #629103 Wed Dec 14 2022 8:56pm
Johnrrs

Also try and get a look under the car if possible and check for any leaks or moisture. The pinion seal is a very common oil leak and could cost £800. Mine needed doing but I got it done under warranty but after reading many posts on here they can leak at almost any mileage and age. Search it on here for more info.

Post #629104 Wed Dec 14 2022 9:46pm
snerkler

United Kingdom 

Johnrrs wrote:

Is this the schedule you’re referring to?

https://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/u...0Sheet.pdf

If so there’s a number of items that are needed to be done at 80,000 miles, and the S/C belt at 7 years. The S/C belt should therefore have been done but the things at 80,000 might not have been done and would be costly I’d imagine?

The timing belt etc doesn’t look like it needs doing until 112,000 if I’m reading it right, it’s only diesels that require a change at 7 years.

Does anyone know if these items are covered in the JLR service plans?

Post #629106 Wed Dec 14 2022 10:18pm
snerkler

United Kingdom 

Johnrrs wrote:
Also try and get a look under the car if possible and check for any leaks or moisture. The pinion seal is a very common oil leak and could cost £800. Mine needed doing but I got it done under warranty but after reading many posts on here they can leak at almost any mileage and age. Search it on here for more info.

Thanks, I’ll look into it.

I’ve actually noticed something that’s put me off the car a little, someone’s stuck an SVAutobiography badge on the back rather than the normal sport autobiography badge. Obviously not a biggie in itself but it does then make me question how it might have been driven. Probably overthinking it as usual.

Post #629107 Wed Dec 14 2022 10:23pm
Johnrrs

snerkler wrote:
Johnrrs wrote:

Is this the schedule you’re referring to?

https://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/u...0Sheet.pdf

If so there’s a number of items that are needed to be done at 80,000 miles, and the S/C belt at 7 years. The S/C belt should therefore have been done but the things at 80,000 might not have been done and would be costly I’d imagine?

The timing belt etc doesn’t look like it needs doing until 112,000 if I’m reading it right, it’s only diesels that require a change at 7 years.

Does anyone know if these items are covered in the JLR service plans?

Yes that’s the schedule. Yes the Diesel engine requirements are different to the petrol but all running gear servicing should be the same for both cars

Post #629110 Wed Dec 14 2022 11:43pm
snerkler

United Kingdom 

Johnrrs wrote:
Yes that’s the schedule. Yes the Diesel engine requirements are different to the petrol but all running gear servicing should be the same for both cars

Thanks

Post #629112 Thu Dec 15 2022 9:16am
naks

South Africa 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver

The only flaw with the Supercharged V8 is the crossover coolant pipe, which is known to fail at high mileages, so I would have that + the water pump replaced pre-emptively, or even replaced by upgraded aluminium parts: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/225174287475

Also, you should get the gearbox oil replaced at that mileage, and the battery will probably need to be replaced after 7 years.

Other than that, the V8 is very reliable. Thumbs Up --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Post #629114 Thu Dec 15 2022 11:03am
snerkler

United Kingdom 

naks wrote:
The only flaw with the Supercharged V8 is the crossover coolant pipe, which is known to fail at high mileages, so I would have that + the water pump replaced pre-emptively, or even replaced by upgraded aluminium parts: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/225174287475

Also, you should get the gearbox oil replaced at that mileage, and the battery will probably need to be replaced after 7 years.

Other than that, the V8 is very reliable.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure I'm actually going to pursue this car any further as I've just had the service history sent though and it all looks correct up until feb 2020 where it had its 80,000 mile/60 month service (actual mileage 71999) during which they did the diff oil, transfer case oil and dynamic response filter but no service since and no sign of the S/C belt being done. Granted it's only done 4001 miles since, but it's missed out on 2 annual services and so long overdue a service.

Edit: They've informed me that they've (the dealership) have serviced the vehicle for the past two years. Seems a little odd that an independent prestige car dealership would service a vehicle more than once so am digging a little deeper.

Post #629116 Thu Dec 15 2022 12:05pm
snerkler

United Kingdom 

Just thought I'd update this thread and put it to bed.

The garage I saw the Autobiography at is a click and collect place only and there's no way I'll commit to buying before visually seeing and test driving first so I'm continuing to look.

Post #629179 Fri Dec 16 2022 5:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1