RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Sunroof drain hose L320
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Themoog

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Rimini Red
Sunroof drain hose L320

I have identified the wet passenger footwell as the sunroof drain end rotting away where it passes through the metal inside the side grill.
How the hell is a new one installed? Do all the fuse boards behind the glove box have to come out or is there a simple way?

Post #626583 Sun Sep 11 2022 11:48am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13XEAwZrEc...sp=sharing

Cheers
Col

Post #626585 Sun Sep 11 2022 12:25pm
Themoog

Err.. Nope. I fed a wire through from the top and taped it to a new drain tube I bought. I can pull it from above the dash for about 3"then it stops and won't go any further.
There must be an easier way.
Maybe I need to cut off the grommet on the old pipe, push it back through, tape it to the new one end on and try again.
Ive gone past the point of no return..

Post #626627 Wed Sep 14 2022 4:30pm
BJH1959

Portugal 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

OK there is a knack to this.

I gave up trying to pull the old pipe up, so I went down - and threw away the rubber nipple / grommet on the old pipe and the new one. It serves no purpose.

I removed panel on the door pillar exposing the wiring and drain hose. I cut the hosepipe about halfway down the wiring channel, tied the new pipe on to the bottom section of the severed old pipe - securely! I then carefully pulled the old hose down and out of the side grill. Slowly does it and with a bit of fiddling and patience the pipe can be pulled down until you can see and / or feel the 'new end' through the side vent. I used a small hose connector to connect the (old) top half of the pipe to the top of the new (top end) of the bottom section in the door panel.

I pulled the bottom end of the hose through the hole in the side vent, cut it to size, and it now just sits as an overflow pipe. I put some silicone around the hose and the hole it goes through to keep it secure and to waterproof it. No problems 3 years on. Barrie.
2005 RRS 2.7TDV6 from 2017 -2024. Best car I ever had.
Current: 2018 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2

Last edited by BJH1959 on Thu Sep 15 2022 5:21pm. Edited 4 times in total

Post #626644 Thu Sep 15 2022 5:10pm
BJH1959

As an aside, the main cause of this is jet-washing through the side vents. The force can push the drain hose out of position, or disintegrate older hoses. Barrie.

Post #626645 Thu Sep 15 2022 5:13pm
kas982

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

so from what i understand,mine is also dislodged/rotten. only a worn gromet in the vent hole. its a rh drive car.
from the photo below i guess

my pipe missing?

Post #626864 Sun Sep 25 2022 8:24pm
BJH1959

Most likely not missing but disintegrated and flopping down behind the vent ready to drain water in the footwell. Because there is no slack to pull through you'll most likely need to fix a new pipe. At least when it's fitted you can pull it through so you got some to play with. As I've said before, forget the grommit. It's more trouble than it's worth.

Not more I can add to my previous post. Barrie.

Post #626879 Mon Sep 26 2022 6:54pm
kas982

thanks, must say your idea makes sense...i better sort it before winter..lol

Post #626910 Tue Sep 27 2022 7:09pm
Themoog

I managed to repair the drain tube so the footwell is dry. Tricky but doable.
The issue I have now is water dripping from the roof light console thing after a heavy downpour. What's going on now then?

Post #627799 Mon Oct 31 2022 4:48am
BJH1959

I've experienced the same problem before. The drain-holes in your sunroof may be blocked up. With nowhere to go the water sits there and eventually seeps through wherever it can. In my case the car had been sat there for a while, the water ran along the headlining and down the inside of the pillars. The inside of the sunroof cover was also soaked.

First of all, if you've not done so already, carefully remove the plastic cover of the interior lights, remove the bulbs and dry it all out. Hopefully there's no electrical damage.

If you look down on your fully open sunroof you'll see a (small) hole in each corner. These need to be free of any debris so that water can pass freely through the holes, down the drain pipes, and the water then comes out through the pipes mentioned above.* The best thing I found to poke down the holes is the plastic wire used for garden strimmers. Push the wire down through each hole as far as it will go - which is quite a way so the wire needs to be quite long. If they are blocked you'll meet some resistance. Keep pushing. You'll know when it's clear as all the trapped water will shoot out of the drain pipes you've just replaced. I was amazed at he gunk that came out of mine.

Now I make a point of checking those drainage points are clear at least once a year. And it's always worth doing after these Sahara sand storms which we tend to get a few of.

*Just to state the obvious, if the drain pipes mentioned above are not properly in position you could end up pushing all the excess water and gunk into the footwell! Barrie.

Post #627801 Mon Oct 31 2022 8:39am
kas982

i sorted mine,it was a huge faf, but it's one of those jobs that you do it once & it becomes easy. ok, so there are a few things i'll go through that haven't been mentioned, that might help out.
so if your pipe has lost the end ( see my pic above ) you need to pull the pipe off the sunroof & remove it. check carefully that the pipe has not perished, bend it & look for cracks.
mine was ok, so i just trimmed the end & re-used it. its a real faf to get the pipe routed trrough the original place, there is something blocking it, there are lots of wires & a fusebox, i would not recommend forcing, instead i chose, after fafing about for an hour & half, to route round the fuse box.
this has the effect of leaving the pipe about 8" short, so i chose to add a rubber adapter piece + a new piece of pipe fitted to the sunroof, i made sure the pipe has no kinks & the joint was sealed with silicone sealer.
so far so good, even if the joint fails, its an easy repair to add a more "professional" type repair. the grommet was banished, i just used some sticky foam to avoid rattles & will seal the hole up completely with sikaflex when i get more time. pics below.

Post #627838 Tue Nov 01 2022 6:58pm
Googs

Australia 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

Thanks for sharing that Kas, it's a valuable bit of information ...should be in Sticky

I had the same problem with my L322, damaged the roof lining and to get the carpet up is a big job.....really not one of RR's better designs. Crying or Very sad

Post #628045 Tue Nov 08 2022 7:02pm
Spitty

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Pulled the A pillar trim off and made the mistake of pulling the hose out from behind the fuse box. Rerouted sown the pillar and addd some extra hose. Drilled a hole out throug the floor pan and put the hose out and down below th air tank to avoid doing to the rust on the tank.

Post #636821 Wed Oct 25 2023 7:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1