Page 1 of 1

RangeGer

Germany 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
RRS MY 2007 TDV8 - noise from leaking exhaust manifold

Hiya from Germany

Range Rover TDV8 MY 2007 - Exhaust manifold problem
makes really loud whsitling noise

anyone has some garage sugegstions?
Over here in Germany they are asking 3.000,- EUR and up to fix this problem.

I would combine the repair in the UK with a short trip if there is a chance to get this job done for a lower price.
Two years ago I had the same problem on the right side (passenger side left steering).
They removed the body and fixed the problem for just unter 1.000- EUR but the owner has changed and now the new owner aks 3 grand for the repair.

I am thankful for any help.

Dee

Post #625565 Thu Jul 21 2022 1:22pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

A quick look online suggests that a genuine exhaust manifold for the TDV8 is over £1000 just for the part. With other bits and pieces (there's always other bits and pieces required) plus labour to lift the body and do the actual work, I can see why the price is getting so high these days. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #625569 Thu Jul 21 2022 2:05pm
RangeGer

while not wanting a NEW exhaust manifold it will reduce the price just to fix the manifold by 90%
Thers will be the costs toe remove the upper body though, and for some smaller parts such as gasket and maybe a bolt.

The problem with new exhaust manifolds is that they will start shrinking and changing their shape from the first day it is installed. On a German RR forum people mentioned that they got a new manifold installed at RR dealers and after several months the same problem occured. Most suggest to have the problem fixed by using the old manifold.

When I had the right side fixed the guys used my old manifold and, sorry I do not know the correct word for what they did, but they flattened the surface. The chance that an old manifold, after the surface was flattened, will cause problems again is by far lower than the problems you migth get when installing a new manifold.

Post #625571 Thu Jul 21 2022 2:33pm
aaronjb

United Kingdom 

Is the problem that the manifold is cracked, or that the head-side mounting face is warped (common on TD5s)?

If it's cracked then your best bet is replacement - you can get cast iron welded but it has a tendency to crack again at the weld, and brazing might not survive the environment it operates in either..

But if it's warped then you're best off getting the exhaust flange skimmed flat (milled flat on a milling machine, either with a fly cutter or face cutter). They warp, basically, when the internal stresses are relieved through heat cycles - once they've warped they are less likely to warp again.

Video of the process (not my video) on a TD5 manifold here:  2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #625577 Thu Jul 21 2022 4:59pm
RangeGer

Thanx a lot

yes it happened to me for the fixed side that the exhaust manifold was not cracked but warped.

Last edited by RangeGer on Sat Jul 23 2022 11:49am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #625587 Thu Jul 21 2022 9:53pm
aaronjb

United Kingdom 

If you can get it off, then, you just need a local machine shop.. granted, at least over here, those are becoming a little rare! The only ones I can find on Google near you seem to be large industrial shops, and you really want a smaller place that will do one-off jobs - or a guy with a Bridgeport/Thiel/Deckel in his garage Smile 2014 BMW 530d Touring, 2006 BMW 650i, 2018 Mini Cooper S

Post #625597 Fri Jul 22 2022 9:19am
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Every one we've had with snapped studs, we've had the manifolds skimmed

Not cheap, at around £350 a time, but better than £1000 for a new one. And in theory at least, the manifold shouldn't warp again, like a new one might. We've never had a repeat failure Thumbs Up

Post #625603 Fri Jul 22 2022 9:48am
Grimble

United Kingdom 

Many, many, years ago as an apprentice in a machine shop I used to do the same with cast iron cylinder heads, the trick is to clamp the item on the mill while retaining the 'warp' so once unclamped, the freshly machined surface remains flat.
Would love a Bridgeport in my workshop but will just have to dream. RRS HSE Dynamic SDV6 2014

Nemo mortalium omnibus horus sapit

Post #625604 Fri Jul 22 2022 11:11am
RangeGer

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Every one we've had with snapped studs, we've had the manifolds skimmed

Not cheap, at around £350 a time, but better than £1000 for a new one. And in theory at least, the manifold shouldn't warp again, like a new one might. We've never had a repeat failure Thumbs Up

Exactly what I think. Had it done that way two years ago now the other side causes trouble.
This was the manifold after taking it off from the engine.
You see the broken bolt as well.

I paid 1.000 EUR for the complete repair. That workshop has a new owner now and he asks 3.000,- for the same job now.
Wondering how much they usually charge in the UK to fix it, without installing a new manifold.

Post #625642 Sat Jul 23 2022 11:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1