RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Brake line burst
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

May be off some help with bleeding the system.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Lf3UsaxJ...sp=sharing

Cheers
Col

Post #617797 Thu Sep 30 2021 10:45pm
insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

That's perfect Col, thanks.

Hopefully no drama's with that providing the air from leaking/removed pipe hasn't crept up the line. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #617798 Fri Oct 01 2021 8:39am
insiorc

I'm hoping this relatively straightforward task isn't headed to being a saga....

So with the metal pipes home but flexi's only expected next week and I need the RRS for the next couple of weeks then I decided to fit the pipe to the old flexi's and get it back running. I'll deal with the flexi's later.
Pipe fitted no issue's, I thought as it was only opened at the end of a long pipe run then I should only need to bleed that caliper. When picking up brake fluid I saw a cheap Draper bleed bottle so gave that a go, it's not a bad idea with the tube end blocked and a slit in the tube side so it will allow fluid out then close on the pedal release so preventing fluid return, it worked quite well. The caliper seemd to bleed ok, but the pedal wouldn't firm up (it's always felt quite soft especially compares to my wife's Evoque, but stops fine). I bled through a full litre bottle of fluid with no bubbles appearing after the expected first bit. I've looked around and don't see any leaks.

So would it be expected that I should have to go through the full 4 caliper bleed sequence with having only broke into the line at the caliper end? With having removed the old pipe for 2 days (which I plugged the open ends) could air possibly have worked itself back up the line to the front, and if so could it cause any bleed issue's?
How much fluid should I have to hand if doing the 4 calipers? I've bled 1 litre through and have now bought another 2 bottles. I haven't really done much with car brakes other than usual pad replacement, my bleeding experience is limited to old motorcycles.

Edit: after some googling I'm seeing reference to using the Gap iiDTool to assist bleeding, but not a lot of info given. I've got one of these so should I be using this? 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #617812 Fri Oct 01 2021 7:16pm
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

I have no specific experience with bleeding an RRS, but going back years to a VW Golf, if you end up with air in the ABS unit you will need a GAP/Autel tool to carry out an assisted bleed procedure. It may not be that of course.

Post #617813 Fri Oct 01 2021 7:28pm
insiorc

Success....finally!

I watched the powerfulUkltd youtube on bleeding using the iiD Tool (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpHBaMpw6S8&t=33s) which looked straightforward so set to following it's instructions. 1st passenger rear went fine, 2nd passenger front all good but the 3rd being drivers front caliper had a stuck bleed nipple. I was afraid of snapping it then having the RRS off the road until I got more parts so gave up on that idea. Although I'd already pumped out about a litre of fluid from the caliper I'd had the line open on, I gave it another go - bingo, after a while it had another huge burp and all came good with a now solid brake pedal once again. Happy days.
So that was 2 litres brake fluid pumped through it, only a little had come out the passenger side calipers so I guess the air bubble had worked itself pretty far forward during the pipe replacement and I'd been as quick as I could be with getting the plug back in the line.

I think I'll plan to sort/change that stuck nipple/caliper as otherwise I'm sure it'll catch me out sometime I least need it, so as I'd got another 2 litres of fluid I'll continue and do a complete fluid change out in all lines. It's possible this will be the first time any line has been opened since new so possibly the original fluid, it worked fine but overdue a change.

Thanks for your help. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #617832 Sat Oct 02 2021 10:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12