RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > tdv8 front /rear anti roll bar / ace removal for dummies???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

dt1968

United Kingdom 
tdv8 front /rear anti roll bar / ace removal for dummies???

hi all.... ive recently acquired a tdv8 sport... 2007 in the year... i have the red triangle on dash telling me theres an ace fault.. plenty of fluid in the pump, and no leaks to be seen.. However ive read one or two posts by folks whove removed the ace rollbars and replaced with discovery (normal) anti roll bars...or roll bars from the early 2.7 sport.. and bypassed the pump somehow... and then had the ecu plugged in to tell the system that ace wasnt fitted..
my questions are... has anyone here done this and completed it.... anyone done a guide for dummies like my self to see whats involved.... and does anyone know what anti roll bars would be suitable???? heard that disco 3 share the same non ace roll bars?? Basically ive read so much, that by now its all a little confusing... i just need to know once and for all, what i need to buy to complete the task.... sorry for the long winded post... any help/clarification would be awesome... many thanks in advance...Dave

Post #615688 Mon Jul 12 2021 10:01pm
dt1968

United Kingdom 

just before anyone says,,, yes i have seen the kit on ebay to remove the ace system, however at 650 quid its a bit rich... especially if i can find two second hand rollbars, buy new drop links and bushes, that should save quite a few quid to use in the fuel tank Rolling with laughter

Post #615689 Mon Jul 12 2021 10:27pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Great way to ruin the vehicle. Fitting standard anti roll bars will make it wallowy and rubbish - bear in mind the TDV8 never had standard bars fitted. Even in the dynamic system it has its own "tune" from those on the 2.7TDV6 and the petrol models. The TDV8 is a big heavy lump to resist in roll.

How about taking it to a decent LR indie garage and asking them to check the fault codes and find out what is actually wrong with it? It may not actually need a lot of surgery to sort it out. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #615703 Tue Jul 13 2021 9:23am
dt1968

United Kingdom 

Agree to some extent that i could go to an independant and enquire, but even then,, after spending at least a couple of hundered maybe much more, id still be left with a system that is complex, troublesome and known to be the achilles heal of these great vehicles... Personally id rather spend money and eradicate it once and for all, so long as it was safe and cost effective... to that end has anybody had any experience with this, maybe fitted a kit?? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254069282435?_t...OON.R2.TR2

Post #615875 Sun Jul 18 2021 6:39pm
RRSTDV8

Troublesome and known to be an Achilles heel? Utter rot.

The active ARBs do have some issues but they aren't the big issue you're painting it to be.

As for it being a great vehicle, it certainly won't be by the time you bodged it up to save a few quid. When you sell it, you will remember to tell prospective buyers that you've ruined it, won't you? It'll handle like a boat in a heavy sea by the time you fit solid bars to it. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #615879 Sun Jul 18 2021 8:42pm
dt1968

United Kingdom 

thanks for yet another uninformative post... are you speaking from experience?? have you done the swap??? im guessing not.. therefore your input isnt really required is it?? i was clearly asking if anybody had done it,, not your personal view on it..
maybe you should pipe down a little and let other members on here who may have something interestiing and more importantly relevant to say, get a word in.

Post #615929 Mon Jul 19 2021 9:47pm
RRSTDV8

It's been brought up as a solution a couple of times in the 10 years I've been on this forum. And after discussions it was dropped as an idea. But hey, you carry on and bodge the job. And yes, it's a bodge. Land Rover fitted the hydraulic anti roll bars to all TDV8s for a reason. Just like they fitted active engine mounts to the TDV8 and not the TDV6. It's a big lump moving around.

It's worth noting that the active anti roll bars have different tunes for the TDV8 from the light TDV6 and petrol versions. There's a reason. Also, the stability control system uses accelerometers and a yaw sensor to determine what the vehicle is doing. The accelerometers are placed at low level and high level and along with the yaw sensor they try to figure out whether the vehicle is going to lose control. The stability control is tuned to expect certain values in certain situations. Guess what happens if there's more roll than it expects? Yep, DSC will get unhappy.

It's not just a case of changing the bars and stopping he fluid being pumped around. The whole car is designed to work with the active bars. It really isn't a simple case of ripping them out and it won't notice.

Do please come back and let us know how well it drives with steel bars fitted. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #615932 Mon Jul 19 2021 10:07pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

I wouldn't like to drive a TDV8 without the ARC system

The 2.7 isn't really an issue, given its around 100kg lighter over the front end alone, and we have removed the system from many 2.7's, similarly with a few 3.0's too

We did attempt a 3.6, but we couldn't find a way to route the aux belt to run the alternator...

Post #615939 Tue Jul 20 2021 8:13am
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Not wishing to discourage you further, but have you spoken to your insurance company about this modification yet?
It would be a real shame if you went to all this effort and expense only for your premium to go up a considerable amount, or they withdrew cover when you informed them, which you would have to do. From a purely financial perspective, you would have to weigh up what you would save from the conversion against increased premiums and reduced pool of insurers. This is one of the reasons I won't even change a set of wheels on my cars. I give the robbing Censored enough money as it is.
I know some people do modify their Land Rovers and whilst I have no personal knowledge of what is involved, there may be someone on here who can help in that respect.
If of course you have already researched this aspect, then absolutely feel free to ignore my thoughts Smile

Post #615940 Tue Jul 20 2021 8:39am
MakAtak67

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Disco_Mikey wrote:
I wouldn't like to drive a TDV8 without the ARC system

The 2.7 isn't really an issue, given its around 100kg lighter over the front end alone, and we have removed the system from many 2.7's, similarly with a few 3.0's too

We did attempt a 3.6, but we couldn't find a way to route the aux belt to run the alternator...

New here. ACE pump has collapsed bearing. Tried the shorter belt to get round ACE pump but way top short.

As a temp solution- what do I need to do to bypass the pump?

Post #620302 Mon Dec 27 2021 4:41pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

See my replies to your other posting Thumbs Up

Post #620305 Tue Dec 28 2021 12:05am
Meiang

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
L320 5L V8

The facelifted L320 5L V8 was only available globally without dynamic response. It was however 167kg lighter than the TDV8. I could never understand why the 5L V8 could not be optioned with dymanic response as even the lowliest diesel could.

Post #620370 Fri Dec 31 2021 5:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1