RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Successful L320 (2010>2013) Carplay Installations?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

I think at one point they did two different versions, one which is just plug and play and one which is integrated in to the sat nav unit, the one I have is the plug and play version for the MY12/13, looks like you may have the integrated version for the slightly earlier cars.

Cheers
Col

Post #620925 Thu Jan 13 2022 10:25pm
AndyCHO

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Ipanema Sand

Yep, 2 different units... the latter is a Bosch and has different wiring setup etc.
Mine is the Denso unit that requires the piggy back boards.

the good thing is (hopefully) the Vehicle info still comes up after the install.

Post #620931 Fri Jan 14 2022 1:33am
Col

Have to admit that was my thought's on if lost any use of the original set settings/menus etc. but only seems like navigation side that is affected, but then the latest NZ maps available for o.e sat nav is 2017 so not going to loose much.

Cheers
Col

Post #620932 Fri Jan 14 2022 1:52am
Darkangelv2

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

AndyCHO wrote:
Here is the 2010 / 11 Installation instructions... there is a bit of difference.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CsrUrLtcn...sp=sharing

Hi Andy

Glad to see someone taking it on - agreed, it does look quite daunting compared to some I’d seen for the other years.

Please do let us know how you get on. If it all works I might have to pull the trigger! The UK sellers are still not finished with their 2010-11 model.

Post #621593 Sat Feb 05 2022 7:30pm
AndyCHO

I havent had a chance to even get started on it yet... Life has been getting in the way.
I want to make sure I have got a clear 2 days at it... just in case and as it is my better half's work car I wouldnt be popular if come monday morning all the central dash was still out.
I will see how I go this week but probably it will be the weekend after.. that way I can start Friday afternoon Smile

Post #621603 Sun Feb 06 2022 9:55am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Powerful have done several videos, small and large display.
If that’s what you are referring too.

Post #621637 Mon Feb 07 2022 12:09am
Darkangelv2

Hi Andy K

We’re looking for the conversion kit that utilises the existing screen for CarPlay.

Readily available for cars up to 2009 and after 2012. But we’re stuck in between with the MY10 Denso system that only a couple of manufacturers seem to have tackled. My only option seems to be to import from Australia.

Post #621639 Mon Feb 07 2022 8:37am
Darkangelv2

AN UPDATE FROM UAD

Quick Update - Smartphone Integration Upgrade for your Jaguar Land Rover
You are receiving this email as you have previously registered your interest in this product within the last few months. We appreciate your patience and feedback.

This project was chosen as one of our key goals for early 2022 as we have received a massive amount of interest from owners of Jaguars and Land Rover fitted with DENSO infotainment systems. In the last few months, we have evaluated and designed the IC board, cabling, connectors etc to ensure as straightforward an install and operation as possible. As of now, this project is in the final stages of the development journey. We will start taking pre-orders in the next week or so.

Here are some quick photos taken from our development vehicle. Our engineering team have worked very hard to ensure the best operation and display possible, as you can see from the photos, the display is crystal clear with vivid colours! As market leaders for the past five years in smartphone integration for JLR vehicles, we are always striving to provide the best and most comprehensive range of products for these vehicles.

What to expect from this product?

- Wireless Apple CarPlay/Android Auto
- Screen mirroring for iPhone and Android phones
- Seamless integration with OEM functions
- Controlled by OEM touch screen and OEM buttons
- Straightforward installation
- Retain all OEM functions and menus
- If your car has an OEM camera fitted, it will work the same way as before
- Camera interface allows adding of aftermarket cameras

What's next?

We will send you some more photos and a demonstration video in the next email. We will also drop you an email when we start to take pre-order. This will be very soon. So keep an eye out for our emails.
All the best,
UAD Team

Post #622234 Fri Feb 25 2022 3:08pm
Adrian Clarke

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Java Black
Re: Successful L320 (2010>2013) Carplay Installations?

Darkangelv2 wrote:
Hi All

I've recently purchased a 2011 TDV6 and discovered how truly excellent our 'Media systems' were at this time! In reality, and given how nice the dashboard looks, i'd love to keep my phone in my pocket and to update the system by adding Carplay.

I've seen a few companies offer this with wildly ranging prices (listed below). Has anyone used or installed any of these systems and can vouch for their quality/function?

I tried searching but can't find any real history on this forum of their use apart from the odd sales thread or similar.

Unique Auto Designs £515: https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/wireless-a...2011-2015/

In Car Music £570: https://www.incarmusic.co.uk/wireless-appl...-2012.html

DMP Car Design £280 + duty/VAT: https://www.dmpcardesign.com/wireless-appl...-mirroring

Nav-Tool $600 +tax/shipping): https://www.navtool.com/land-rover-range-r...rplay.aspx

Old thread, new member.

I’ve just bought the Unique Audio kit and will be installing it this afternoon. I have a 61 reg L320 with the Bosch media system. Can post pictures and report back later if anyone is interested..

Post #623458 Sat Apr 09 2022 9:04am
Ken 153

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Galway Green

Thumbs Up

Post #623482 Sun Apr 10 2022 7:39am
Puslinch

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Firenze Red

The install was easy, I fitted to a MY12 L320 a few weeks back. Some advice, order a longer 3.5mm cable with a 90d end for the aux input in the rear of the arm rest. The one that shipped was too short and stuck out. I bought a 3m from Amazon. The interface box is a tight tight fit and ended up mounting it in the lower glove box. Love having CarPlay! 2018 Telsa MS
2012 Range Rover Sport HSE+
1990 Porsche 944
1985 LR 90 Soft top V8

Post #623522 Mon Apr 11 2022 10:48am
Darkangelv2

Adrian Clarke wrote:

Old thread, new member.

I’ve just bought the Unique Audio kit and will be installing it this afternoon. I have a 61 reg L320 with the Bosch media system. Can post pictures and report back later if anyone is interested..

Please do Thumbs Up

I’ve just ordered the same kit, at last!

Post #623533 Mon Apr 11 2022 8:06pm
Col

I recently fitted the Naviplus kit to my car with the Bosch screen, it may work with the iphone o.k but i tried it with android auto and it was Total Crap, it may well have been a bad kit, had several issues firstly the projected image was not even central in the screen and you could not use the control menu on the the right hand side side of the screen because it was not in the screen display area, it was so slow to work could have stopped for a tea break while it changed menus, plus if I had to touch the screen any harder to to get anything to move left to right or visa versa my finger would have gone through it. The screen works fine with the L/R installed software so there is no problem with the screen. As I say it might just be a bad kit or hopeless with the Android phones, hence it didn't stay installed for long.

Cheers
Col

Post #623539 Mon Apr 11 2022 10:21pm
AndyCHO

Generally speaking we are really happy with our NaviPlus system.
We have just started to have a few issues with BT phone calls where the other person gets a very poor connection.. I am waiting on a reply from NaviPlus to troubleshoot that but otherwise it does exactly what it is meant to do.
Mine is on the Denso head unit so it is a bit different to the Bosch system.

Post #623542 Mon Apr 11 2022 11:58pm
Adrian Clarke

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Java Black

Darkangelv2 wrote:
Adrian Clarke wrote:

Old thread, new member.

Please do Thumbs Up

I’ve just ordered the same kit, at last!

Sorry for the delay in replying, I hand't checked to see if anyone was interested! So the Unique Audio Developments kit:

Shipped it was £548. Came within 2 days.

Installation was very straightforwards and the instructions super clear. First off, use the trim tool (included) to remove the HVAC panel. It was a bit stubborn and I had to use my existing trim tools to help lever it free. Once it's loose, unplug the three plugs from the rear.

Then remove six torx bolts - two on the bottom of the screen and two on the bottom of each air vent. Remove each air vent. They simply pull out once the bolts are removed.

Once the air vents are removed another two torx bolts will be revealed either side of the screen. Remove these. The screen sits in a cradle, lift it up and tilt forwards to bring it clear.

Remove the plugs from the back of the screen and remove it completely.

The wiring is very simple. The UAD box main wiring plugs into the back of the screen, and the grey connection from the car that was originally plugged into the screen plugs into the plug on the new wiring. The blue LCD plug from the car is left unplugged, and is replaced with the blue LCD out from the box. There is also an AUX connection, but I didn't use this as I wasn't sure what it was for. I have an AUX in in the armrest already. Finally there is a USB on the box for initial connection to your phone (and I assume for any updates to the box).

On the box there are a series of 8 micro switches to be set according to whether you have Dual View (I don't think any L320s have this?) or an aftermarket or factory rear view camera. Check these are in the correct positions for your car.

With everything connected up, turn on the ignition and test. Make sure to select reverse to make sure your rear view camera works correctly.

If it all works, connect your Phone via the USB plug on the box, and set it up on your phone. Remove USB, cycle the ignition and test wirelessly. It can tale up to two minutes to connect - the instructions mention this. Sometimes it connects quicker. If you already have your car paired with your phone for Bluetooth streaming, DO NOT DELETE this connection. You should have another Bluetooth device listed as IDCORE (which is the UAD box). If everything works, it's time to put everything back together.

Open the lower glovebox and press the hinges to lower it fully. I put my box right at the back, standing on it's end. It's the only place I could get it where it wouldn't interfere with the glovebox. I did actually remove the upper glovebox first but there's no room behind there. The UAD box is metal, so I wanted to keep it away from the fusebox on the left hand side. I sort of wedged it in on it's end, and tied the wiring around the metal support with zip ties. This will stop the box flopping out of position. It's a bit of a kludge, but it's the only way I could get it to fit.

Make sure when putting the HVAC panel back that you have all the metal clips in place - otherwise it'll rattle. You need to use a trim tool on the underside of this panel to tuck the padding back under the top of the centre console trim.

Et voila, working CarPlay. You lose the factory navigation (no great loss there!) and CarPlay is accessed by pressing NAV. All other media functions (DAB, TV etc) are retained. The steering wheel controls all work with CarPlay as well, including phone functions.

I have made a short video showing it working, but I can't upload a video here?

Total installation time was about two hours, and now its a couple of weeks later I'm very pleased. After fitting an Android head unit to my previous car (Audi TT) I was really missing CarPlay, and the recent toughening of the law regarding hands free usage of phones in cars really made me get this sorted (I'm not a fan of cradles and wires all over the place). Sometimes the audio can be a bit slow in connecting, which means having to rewind a podcast because the phone starts playing even though there's no sound coming out. But really that's a small annoyance compared to the convenience.

Post #623670 Mon Apr 18 2022 10:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>