Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > New 2021 Keyless Entry Theft Concern
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

Sir_Les

England 
New 2021 Keyless Entry Theft Concern

Hi All,

Im new here so apologies if this has been covered but after a search of the site I cant find the answers Im looking for so thought I would ask....

I picked up a brand new Range Rover Sport on Friday with keyless entry, my first ever Range Rover and am more than delighted. Best car Ive ever owned thats for sure:)

Ive seen alot of posts on here raising concerns about this but unsure with regards to newer models. How careful do I need to be? Should I get a metal tin to keep keys in? What about when I am away from my house etc?

Should I just disable keyless entry?

All advice gratefully received.

Post #614980 Mon Jun 21 2021 11:54am
pjbracer1

England 

Best thing is put a track on it with txt call alerts, if OGC want the car they will follow you about and work out you daily patterns and where it might be left un attended, then just turn up with a trialer and lift it on the back, anyone wathcing it will just assume you havent paid your bill!

The gear used to highjack the keyless signal is avaialbe but at a price but it the professionals normally who wil be stealing to order that will invest in it.

In the house Id keep the keys in a safe or metal keybox hidden away just incase some one breaks in for them too. Whilst out and about not much you can do but I guess proximity to the car there is the thing maybe an RFID pouch would do.

I think you can disabel it using a GAP tool but nor sure on the latest ones, Im sure the dealer would do it.

Also you could think about using the activity key band as that diables it to my knowlege and is handy to have on yor wrist.

Might need to get it rerto fitted in not already but id go down that route If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8
RRS Supercharged Santorini
AMG CLK Rear Tyre Shredder

Post #614986 Mon Jun 21 2021 12:18pm
Sir_Les

England 

On the build it says it has Secure Tracker Pro 12 Months. Thanks for the advice.....

Post #614987 Mon Jun 21 2021 12:21pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Relay method show not work.......

https://www.landrover.co.uk/keylessentry/index.html

https://teamtalk.jaguarlandrover.com/news/...ry-attacks 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Last edited by jimbg on Mon Jun 21 2021 9:21pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #614988 Mon Jun 21 2021 12:34pm
pjbracer1

England 

https://www.landrover.co.uk/ownership/guid...295-405792

think there is a newer versio with a screen and stuff its very close proximity so quite handy and I think when it works it disable the keys and its the only way to get into the car. if I coudl retro fit it to mine I would handy when out on the boat or out for the day no worries of losing the key either

new key  If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #614989 Mon Jun 21 2021 12:47pm
Eagle77

England 

My RRS is a few weeks old - I keep my keys in a Friday box bought off amazon it works well and stops all signals plus has the added benefit of me not having to look for my keys in various pockets. I also have a disklok which I use if leaving the car somewhere for an extended period.

I enable 'Guardian' mode on the LR app for additional peace of mind overnight etc too.

At home have very secure doors / windows plus cameras/lights on the driveway but didn't specially do this because I have a RRS.

I also took out the extended 3 year tracker pro subscription as opposed to 1 year as it is a condition of my insurance that a S5 tracker is active.

Finally I will be getting back to invoice gap insurance shortly just in case.... MY2022 HSE Silver D300 in Firenze Red with black contrast roof
2018 XC90 D5 Inscription with Polestar...gone
2017 XC90 D5 RDesign....gone
2013 Audi Q7...lot of issues...gone
2012 Mercedes CLS...loved it...gone

Post #615003 Mon Jun 21 2021 5:06pm
pjbracer1

England 

yep sounds like you are covered, mine isnt new but is locked away in a garage over night with cameras. I was also thinking of getting either some Tile chips or the Apple ones and just randomly scattering them under the carpets as well as a tracker.

The sad thing is the GPS trackers are great an all but when these things are stolen to order most end up quickly put in a container to block the signal or a car cover that acts like a faraday cage that also blocks signals, if they want it they will have it.

But that is pro stuff the average chop shop isnt gonna go to those lengths so the harder you can make it the better.

One of the best gadget is hidden camers cant remember where I saw them but they were active if the alarm was triggered but internally filmed the occupants but also had one front and back relaying where they drove to giving a street view kind of image for analysis. I think it might have been at an infosec event a few years back.

I remember years ago a mate of mne had a Renault 5 Turbo in black and his insurance stated he needed and imobiliser so as the bonnet catches along with the rest of this cars were made of cheese the bonnet never locked so he just took of the battery lead and shut the bonnet! Rolling with laughter I could see tea leafs having a field day with getting in the car then trying the screw driver trick then the wires trick and then giving up!

Could always leave fake poo on the seat not sure how many thiefs would be happy to sit in it!

I think the keeping the keys in a safe box whilst at home is good if the keys are close enough to get signal jacked, just make sure you always put them in the box and close it as a religon. Cameras dont seem to stop them nowadays

Some will drive past and use a pellet gun to damage security lights in advance of their arrival to. If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #615005 Mon Jun 21 2021 5:48pm
Ash3

United Kingdom 

Or you could disable the keyless entry.

That is what I did with mine....oh and also use disklok.

Post #615019 Mon Jun 21 2021 9:26pm
the_big_1

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

Later JLR car remotes go to sleep if not moved for a short time so get around keyless issues. If they want it, they will get it. So best tricks are make it less easy for them and make it obvious! Cameras, flashing LED's, disclocks etc. If they have a choice of two, make yours the hardest or least desirable. 2018 SVR

Post #615020 Mon Jun 21 2021 9:38pm
Marv11

United Kingdom 
Keyless Fob 2021

If it any use, I asked my dealer when I picked up new car - he said the new 2021 fob has been amended so stop easy picking up the signal and transmitting to a car! How true that is, not sure - I still bought a box from Amazon to put the key in, along with CCTV on the car and the drive down to house!

Post #615021 Mon Jun 21 2021 9:39pm
the_big_1

Just what I said, it is true, squared off remote are the ones. 2018 SVR

Post #615022 Mon Jun 21 2021 9:40pm
Kot

Disable keyless entry, you know it makes sense, surely you are not too lazy to press a button to open a door?

Post #615026 Mon Jun 21 2021 9:53pm
the_big_1

Problem is that only stops them.openimg the door, at this level, that's nothing. Not a Ford Focus. Keyless enter is disabled when the remote is stationary, leave it on a table still when at home etc. I would leave mine not a million miles away from the door. If they want it, they could come through the door for the keys. Like I said, make it as less desirable as possible, enjoy what you have! 2018 SVR

Post #615027 Mon Jun 21 2021 9:58pm
pjbracer1

England 

Id rather let them take the car if I’m honest rather than come in the house it’s an object, it would be a pain but but better than a burglary at the same time!

At least it save the damage caused by screw drivers into locks of old!

Disk locks seem a good idea though if easily accessible from the road. One thing that does seem to be on the rise more is cats and DPfs being stolen wit ease and as the sport is naturally elevated it’s easy to get under so make it more work and make sure you always drop into access mode if not already If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #615029 Mon Jun 21 2021 11:23pm
dadio77

United Kingdom 

I thought I was the only one to take this approach - I currently leave keys near the front door, not because I want my motor to be stolen, but I'd rather they don't enter the house and go looking for them!

Post #615129 Thu Jun 24 2021 8:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>