RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > SDV6 depreciation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Chips

England 
SDV6 depreciation

Got a 2018 SDV6 , already had the crank snap so new engine fitted FOC , however come August the warranty is up and I'm a bit worried on future resale prices . I own the car out right and we buy any car have just offered just over £50k for it meaning it has lost little to no money in the nearly two year I have owned it although I do know WBAC will knock me down a bit from that !
Listening to radio yesterday on the electrification of automobiles the industry think that by as soon as 2025 two thirds of new cars will be electric ! If right what will this do to diesel residuals ? Will they be good as people who still want one will find it harder to find them second hand or will they depreciate like a stone due to everybody wanting electric .
I have an old discovery 3 which is worth next to nothing so happy to keep on with that and that could be used for the odd journey where an electric car would be out of range or for when towing etc . I can put a fast charger in at home no problem and so should i be going for an etron or I pace ? Neither IMHO are a nice as the RRS which is why my wife wants to keep on with the RRS , but will I lose my shirt that is the question ! MY 18 RRS HSE Dynamic ,MY 16 RRS Autobiography now gone & MY 2005 Discovery 3 HSE that I will be buried in !

Post #614207 Wed Jun 02 2021 9:13am
Iomegas

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Hi 2018 and a snapped crank !!!!!!! Land Rover come on aren’t you embarrassed Sad Lovely vehicle though lol glad they repaired.God knows come 2025 and of course less petrol ,diesel cars less revenues for the exchequer less road tax also speed limiters less money from speed cameras.
Mmmmm how we going to get shafted going forward under this GREEN agenda or maybe just horse and cart !!! Lol

Post #614209 Wed Jun 02 2021 9:30am
Eagle77

England 

At the moment used prices are artificially high due to the shortage of chips/components leading to new car supply shortages, as this eases next year I would expect used prices to come down somewhat across the board. My current car has gone from a p/x value of @27k to over £32k in the last 5 months and is appreciating by about £150 a day at the moment according to the various guides - its crazy!

I expect ICE RRS to hold their value better than most despite the shift to electric as its still a very desirable car though undoubtably there will still be a hit in a few years as electric becomes mainstream but frankly that's still years away.

I personally am not going full electric as the pace of development of electric cars is rapidly increasing - the ones now will be pretty much obsolete in 3-4 years time

Frankly if you like the car and are happy with it then I wouldn't swap out unless electric makes much more sense for you MY2022 HSE Silver D300 in Firenze Red with black contrast roof
2018 XC90 D5 Inscription with Polestar...gone
2017 XC90 D5 RDesign....gone
2013 Audi Q7...lot of issues...gone
2012 Mercedes CLS...loved it...gone

Post #614210 Wed Jun 02 2021 10:02am
garrycol

Australia 

You do not buy a new Land Rover product and expect any decent resale value - goes with the brand. 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #614214 Wed Jun 02 2021 11:48am
Grimble

United Kingdom 

Im hoping values drop as Im never going to be in a position to afford a new one.
I'm hopefully a couple of years away from changing my car and wouldnt consider a battery car of any sort, just dont like the idea.
Son has a Tesla, all very fast and clever, but I could buy four of mine for the same price.
The RRS is just the nicest place to be while on the road. RRS HSE Dynamic SDV6 2014

Nemo mortalium omnibus horus sapit

Post #614217 Wed Jun 02 2021 12:35pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
as already said the prices of used at the mo are very good, artificially high due to demand.
if your thinking of selling before the end of the year I would sell it now
then if your going to buy a used car, wait until next year when availability is suggested to be better and the values have dropped back (and took a bigger hit if you buy used now Question )
But
if your buying new get one now/built Cool

At least thats how I hope it works out Embarassed

our car sold and new one being built for Sept, with the FL2 now in full service Smile (and for sale in Sept Whistle )

Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #614219 Wed Jun 02 2021 12:58pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I'd swap the SDV6 for the SDV8 version. No future crank worries and a nice, nice engine. THen keep it for as long as possible/practical. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #614225 Wed Jun 02 2021 4:53pm
Chips

England 

garrycol wrote:
You do not buy a new Land Rover product and expect any decent resale value - goes with the brand.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/slideshow/what-a...ng-cars#10 MY 18 RRS HSE Dynamic ,MY 16 RRS Autobiography now gone & MY 2005 Discovery 3 HSE that I will be buried in !

Post #614229 Wed Jun 02 2021 8:55pm
pjbracer1

England 

2018 with a snapped crank? so it is still happening then! from what I can see the SDV6 engine is like betting on black and red! it coudl go either way!

It really is disgusting surely on a 2018 its being done for free?

I think SDV6 resale wont be as good as it used to be as more and more engines seem to be breaking even when they have been looked after by the dealers, the age shouldnt make a difference either mayeb a 15yr old car but as these are main engne components originally warranted for 100K then they shoudl all do at least that inside 10 years or so!

The thing that sells L494's for the most partis the onboard tech and looks, the offroad stuff really isnt that important to most but is the kudos factor over all the other 4x4 in the segement, the brand has built up a reptuation for dependabliltiy but is slowly erodiing it with the likes of the failed enignes and disgustingly poor customer service even with new customers.

I guy I know boight the SVR 2017 model and has had nothing but issues with the exhaust but they wont repalce it they just keep trying to fix it, they also damaged the rear bumper and tried to blame him, they wont give him a courtesy car anymore as its been in too many times! So he uses another dealer futthe up conutry who collect and drop off but the exahust has yet to be fixed, at the same time he bought his wife an Evoque and had it for around 6 months and it caught fire and literally melted away infront of them, LR told him to claim on his insurance to get it replaced as it wasnt their fault and as the car had melted the would be unable to identify the casue of the problem! They offered him £1500 to upgrades if he ordered another one through them! Needles to say he bought a Quasqui with everything on it with 5yr warranty and free servicing for 3years and said its by far a better car its just doenst have the car park appeal!

If the car being sold has lots of gadgets people tend to value that more even if they wont use it much. Like the old Venture cam for the L322 great idea but hardly used but it bumped the price up for it.

Top things to have in one are
ACC with queue assist,
Park assist (its not that good but does work and people like the idea of it and maybe so show off a bit) Also alot of cheaper newer cars have this built in now
Traffic sign Recog and lane departure (the Traffic sign recog I do use quite alot never thought I would! (well i dont at the mo as the engine doesnt work!) Also lots of even basic cars have this built in now so it helps when benchmarking an older premium cars that has less tech than a cheaper more modern but maybe lesser brand)
AC seats (front and rear they are quite good if you are wearing summer clothes but not as noticeable wearing thick jeans)
Fridge (more to say the car has a fridge for soem brewskies!)

Things worth retro fitting to bring up to modern specs is Car Play and a wireless charger in the front not massive money but will bring the car up to modern equivalents and remove any barriers about outdated tech!

Colour combos are also high on the list Dark outer light inners or light outer dark inners. and some in between. The more lively coolurs for the interiors can also drop the value the red interiors often are the last to sell even though they do look pretty smart. Also the White outers with cream leather inner can make the leather look odd against the ice white exteriors in photo's

I think the SDV6 sells well as its a good option of power and economy. I normally go V8's but thought the sepc of the sdv6 was pretty good for speed outside of the V8 Petrol to rained myself and went for it (road tax wise too)

Wish id taken m gut instinct as the V8 SC petrol were cheaper too as most dont want the fuel bill!

The average person buying them probably doesnt come on these forums to check out dark side of them as well as the light so will use the likes of whatcar and youtube to check them out and will be blissfully unaware of the potential financial doom they could be in!

I love the car its fast, nice to drive, comfortable, easy to find in the carpark, handy for carrying stuff around in, and looks great inside and out. The only thing that is outragous is ******************** engine breaking with just of 41k and Land Rover couldnt give a flying about it or even trying to help, they just hide behind some generic dog crap exucse it old not in warranty even though the are more than ware of the fault SSM71816 and the same again later on SSM72928 If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8
RRS Supercharged Santorini
AMG CLK Rear Tyre Shredder

Post #614230 Wed Jun 02 2021 8:58pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

I'm very confused about car prices. As has been said used car prices are rising, I bought my P400 HSE for £71k almost 2 years ago. It was recently valued at £55.5k! Whilst this is happening there are still large discounts on new cars. How does this anomaly stack up?
Tim Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #614232 Wed Jun 02 2021 11:06pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Chips wrote:
garrycol wrote:
You do not buy a new Land Rover product and expect any decent resale value - goes with the brand.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/slideshow/what-a...ng-cars#10

Does that site actually work for anyone? It just overlays the next text over the previous one for me here. Typical Autocar junk. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #614236 Thu Jun 03 2021 8:35am
pjbracer1

England 

I thnk the large discounts on new are due to covid and there being more stock they need to shift, but I suspect they also claw it back with other options like most dealers "heres the car this price" and then in order to buy it you need a service pack and an inspection pack and a , what you want wheels on it too! pack.

All cars drop but some that might be more sort after can still be in demand so 2nd hand prices can go up. Also the prices of second hand can go up slightly as people look to hold on afer leases end rather than blindly upgrade, there is an electrical storm coming and some are looking to hold on and not commit just yet so there is less second hand stock.

Also the difference in a £55K car and a £70K is still pretty big! And alot of the new ones are all financed and not really bought per se so the final ballon payment is often never made but used in exchange for a new verison but if more people are just holding off and paying the balloon payments and keeping the car for a it longer it has a knock on effect at the top but also much less stock on the second hand trade. I think Covid might have played a part in people maybe not jsut jumping on a new car every 3 years just in case.

I guess also last year there was a lot less mileage done by everyone so technially the cars coming onto the market have lower mileage too which can add value too.

The thing is it still comes down to what someone is prepared to pay for it and often the market or advertised prices are not what you can get for them. Just look through autotrader for a few weeks to a few months and the same cars are on there, stock turn over is as high on the high tickets cars either.

But who knows the world is a crazy place if the resale price is high on your car at the moment then Id sell as you bet it will drop soon as we approach September.

Also a new model not a face lift has an effect as a lot of people buying new will hold off to order the latest designs If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #614239 Thu Jun 03 2021 9:31am
Eagle77

England 

Site works for me - the article is dated from 2018 though... MY2022 HSE Silver D300 in Firenze Red with black contrast roof
2018 XC90 D5 Inscription with Polestar...gone
2017 XC90 D5 RDesign....gone
2013 Audi Q7...lot of issues...gone
2012 Mercedes CLS...loved it...gone

Post #614240 Thu Jun 03 2021 9:32am
pjbracer1

England 

Yeah works for me too, I think they get that info from the old Parkers/Glass's guides, Im guessing they might have a service to check models at a cost no doubt.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/land-rover/range...ed-prices/ If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #614241 Thu Jun 03 2021 9:59am
timhum

United Kingdom 

pjbracer1 wrote:
I thnk the large discounts on new are due to covid and there being more stock they need to shift, but I suspect they also claw it back with other options like most dealers "heres the car this price" and then in order to buy it you need a service pack and an inspection pack and a , what you want wheels on it too! pack.

All cars drop but some that might be more sort after can still be in demand so 2nd hand prices can go up. Also the prices of second hand can go up slightly as people look to hold on afer leases end rather than blindly upgrade, there is an electrical storm coming and some are looking to hold on and not commit just yet so there is less second hand stock.

Also the difference in a £55K car and a £70K is still pretty big! And alot of the new ones are all financed and not really bought per se so the final ballon payment is often never made but used in exchange for a new verison but if more people are just holding off and paying the balloon payments and keeping the car for a it longer it has a knock on effect at the top but also much less stock on the second hand trade. I think Covid might have played a part in people maybe not jsut jumping on a new car every 3 years just in case.

I guess also last year there was a lot less mileage done by everyone so technially the cars coming onto the market have lower mileage too which can add value too.

The thing is it still comes down to what someone is prepared to pay for it and often the market or advertised prices are not what you can get for them. Just look through autotrader for a few weeks to a few months and the same cars are on there, stock turn over is as high on the high tickets cars either.

But who knows the world is a crazy place if the resale price is high on your car at the moment then Id sell as you bet it will drop soon as we approach September.

Also a new model not a face lift has an effect as a lot of people buying new will hold off to order the latest designs

I get what you say but if I were in the market for a RRS would I pay £55.5k for a 2 year old car or £71k for new with the benefits of full warranty etc for 3 years. I'd go for the new car. As for depreciation I reckon 20% over 2 years is excellent, previously my cars have depreciated 45/50% + over 3 years.
I was recently at my LR dealer to see what they have in stock, no pressure to add any packs to the car at all. They know I like to buy a car as delivered with no fancy cost ineffective stuff. Same with ceramic coating, £800 ++ for something like G-Tech with no pay back, madness in my opinion.

Tim Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #614258 Thu Jun 03 2021 2:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>