RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > SDV6 depreciation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

pjbracer1

England 

I know what you mean some dealers are ok and others can be less than ok, its just luck I guess, I know what you mean abotu a 2yr old car vs new, I say the same with other stuff liek ebay items why save only £20 for something second hand with no warranty even if its only been used once! But £15-20K is quite a big difference and that might be as far as finance can stretch too.

I never buy brand new for a similar reason a few years old, any issues have been fixed and it still has warranty or extended, and if bought at the right time the worst of the depreciation has already happened with the first owner or in most cases leaser.

But like you say if the depreciation is much less then the new car makes more sense if financing it isnt an issue.

I dont understand why HP and leasers dont pay the balloon payment and then sell the car on privately as often the ballon payment is what the dealer pays and then turns it around for a big profit on the forecourt as approved used, if sold privately you might get dealer forecourt money but you would still get more than the trade in/handback value, but then its convenient and not many people feel comfortable buying a high value car from a private person and might not be happy haggling on the drive so to speak.

I think second hand market is pretty strong for a lot of things as there are plenty to chose from. and there is the point of why pay to money for a car that looks almost the same as a 3yr old model.

I got mine as a tide me over until battery cars are just better and the network to support them is better, so went for a low miler but older car as I work from home and dont use it that much so its seemed a bit of a waste having it lose pounds in the garage when im not using it (that said its lost a lot now cos the engine blew! so possibly in my face with that one!)

I also thing cars now have so much more tech in them that the advantages of new ones is much less and as the chinese hae really go to grip with the aftermarket addons that dont look like halfords stuff the newer cars has less to offer in a sense not like years ago.

The ony thing most miss at the moment is auto pilot features but thats only time. If you liek it keep it I guess but if you can afford a new one then Id go for it as the depreciation might drop back to the way it was so at least you will have benefitted at the top of the curve at least once If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8
RRS Supercharged Santorini
AMG CLK Rear Tyre Shredder

Post #614262 Thu Jun 03 2021 3:13pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

Agree,

Tim Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #614269 Thu Jun 03 2021 5:38pm
m13lky

United Kingdom 

There is a big difference on the 2018 facelift model & late 2017 like mine, I’m going to vt my 67 plate AB next month as it’s booking at around £40k now at 3 years & 8 months old, 22k miles, mint condition & was £90k new! If it was 3 months newer & a facelift model it would be worth around £8k more but would still have the sdv6 engine, just the updated lights, bumpers & tech.

I’m at the 50% point & would end up handing back at the end of the pcp as mine has a gfv of £43k in 5 months time so no point in paying anymore into it. Be wary as even the new D300 AB same spec as mine at £90k new only has a gfv of around £38k on the same deal as I took my car on.

I looked at 1-2 year old options but if you check the reg against rockars trade in valuation guide, they usually are £7-8 higher on the price you pay, then compare it to the trade price of a similar specked 6 year old one & you still lose around £1k per month for a second hand one.

I’ve ordered a new P400e HSE black edition on a personal lease this time, 10k per year over 3 years is costing me £29k over the 3 years, tax included, should only need 1 service & with our normal use we should do 75% of our driving on electric only.

Last edited by m13lky on Thu Jun 03 2021 8:43pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #614274 Thu Jun 03 2021 7:50pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

timhum wrote:
As for depreciation I reckon 20% over 2 years is excellent, previously my cars have depreciated 45/50% + over 3 years. Tim

Hi,
Agree 20% over 2 years on a new car is very good, our previous L/R cars have also been more like 40% over 2 years Shocked
and its one of main reasons we went a different route and away from the RRS ( we also fancied a change Laughing )

as used prices are so strong at the mo, thats why we sold with an 7% drop for the first year from new and includes the high first year tax and think IF your thinking of selling AND have another car to run, sell now and wait 6 months to see what happens Question

Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Last edited by riverblanche on Thu Jun 03 2021 11:01pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #614278 Thu Jun 03 2021 8:26pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

m13lky wrote:
There is a big difference on the 2018 facelift model & late 2017 like mine, I’m going to vt my 67 plate AB next month as it’s booking at around £40k now at 3 years & 8 months old, 22k miles, mint condition & was £90k new! If it was 3 months newer & a facelift model it would be worth around £8k more but would still have the sdv6 engine, just the updated lights, bumpers & tech.

I’m at the 50% point & would end up handing back at the end of the pcp as mine has a gfv of £43k in 5 months time so no point in paying anymore into it. Be wary as even the new D300 AB same spec as mine at £90k new only has a gfv of around £38k on the same deal as I took my car on.

I looked at 1-2 year old options but if you check the reg against rockars trade in valuation guide, they usually are £7-8 higher on the price you pay, then compare it to the trade price of a similar specked 6 year old one & you still lose around £1k per month for a second hand one.

I’ve ordered a new P400e HSE black edition on a personal lease this time, 10k per year over 3 years is costing me £29k over the 3 years, tax included, should only need 1 service & with our normal use we should do 75% of our driving on electric only.

m13lky,

I think this is the issue with top spec models, they seem to take a much bigger depreciation hit. All the fancy extras unfortunately become worthless at trade-in time. Great second-hand buy though. Thats the reason I chose the P400 HSE, pretty well everything you want and much less expensive that the HST. From a personal of view you avoid getting all the horrible black plastic parts and wheels that are on the HST.
I reckon you'll be very pleased with the P400e with the extra benefit of no dirty diesel!

Tim Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #614285 Thu Jun 03 2021 10:01pm
Grimble

United Kingdom 

Yikes, I have a RRS 2 that cost less outright than the depreciation figures being talked about on here.
Have never bought new, or leased using my own money, used to have a company car but as soon as an allowance was available bought outright every time, giving me a much better vehicle. Usually 3-4 year old high miler ex-company car.
Bargain in motoring terms and tiny depreciation in comparison.
Modern cars last for ever, its the cretinous lawmakers in the guise of the environment that are causing all the chaos. RRS HSE Dynamic SDV6 2014

Nemo mortalium omnibus horus sapit

Post #614299 Fri Jun 04 2021 10:50am
m13lky

United Kingdom 

That’s the thing, any low mileage RRS around 5 years old if purchased from a reputable dealer will still knock back around £800 to £1k per month during your ownership, possibly more if buying with dealer finance, the research I’ve done on this shows the franchise JLR dealers normally charge less for their sales cars than independent dealers, they all seem to have around £6-7k above the trade price for these cars when selling them which is far to much in my opinion, but people still buy them so what do I know!

I’d rather have the new one & limit my losses or did think about a high mileage one & buying it but it would have to be a V8 so you don’t have the dreaded sdv6 engine worries!

Post #614300 Fri Jun 04 2021 11:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12