RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Premium diesel recommendations ??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Ah, the old 2-stroke thing again.

Has anyone ever produced real proof that it does anything useful? It was started by a comment in a forum and people seemed to buy in to it. It was the QAnon of its day. Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #612332 Tue Apr 06 2021 11:59pm
Phileep

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Stornoway Grey

It does appear that two divisive topics are those about petrol and oil Shocked
I have not tried an additive in my fuel but i am aware those that do say good
things about it. I guess i would rather pay for premium fuel than buy cheaper fuel and
pay extra for an additive. I think this also comes from an inherent fear that something i may add
whilst filling up may actually not be doing any good Sad

Post #612335 Wed Apr 07 2021 7:38am
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Everything about cars is subjective, if your happy to try something, so be it. To reverse your question, is there any proof its harmful. When I was young my dad used to put in 4 gallons of fuel & 4 skoots of Redex into his car which brought the total spend up to £1. Did it do any good, debatable, just like any other additive. My post is a bit tongue in cheek. I don't advocate using it but thought after reading the full article which is a hard read not just someone's comment, I would give it a try Thumbs Up

Post #612338 Wed Apr 07 2021 8:35am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

My concern is that with ever more increasingly complex emission control systems being added to modern cars, adding stuff like 2-stroke oil to the fuel might be a recipe for disaster. If the emissions control systems get in a tizzy, they will effectively stop the car at the side of the road.

On older vehicles, it probably does little harm or good, but I would hate for someone to try it in a modern engine and cause themselves an expensive repair. It probably made no difference either way to a 2.7 TDV6, but something like an Ingenium? 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #612340 Wed Apr 07 2021 9:25am
Windydog

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Lugano Teal

Father Jack wrote:
I've used bog standard supermarket diesel albeit with millers eco max in since I bought the car 70k miles and near 6 years ago. No issues. Drives fine.

I'm the same, running 2EHN like Millers will give the cetane a bump, lubricate the fuel pump, clean the IVDs, and at 1000parts per million dose rate. Works out approx 3.3ppl vs 14ppl or more.

I'll standby for incoming, but there is no physical segregation of fuel between brands at fuel terminals. Same BS EN 590 beer. different landlord, with an additive differential not worth noticing or mentioned.

Post #613648 Fri May 14 2021 5:03pm
abiopete

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Shell V-Power for me, every fill up. Its crept over £1.50/L now so it stings a bit L494 3.0L SDV6 Autobiography in Chile Red (Current)
L320 3.0L SDV6 Autobiography in Baltic Blue (RIP 29/03/2021 insurance total loss)

Post #613713 Mon May 17 2021 10:12am
Windydog

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Lugano Teal

Shell changed the additive recipe on V Power I think. I notice they have dropped the PERL (GTL) component out and reformulated under a "Dynaflex" moniker. To be honest, I don't know what this means, they don't give a composition. V Power is very well rated, but i'm finding it a little anecdotal to be fair.

I've had a good look at the BASF engine rigs in Ludwigshaven, and understand why they make their performance claims on additive, but until they publish the stuff, i'm struggling to see the value in a 25ppl differential, when you can DIY at circa 3ppl to good effect.

Post #613718 Mon May 17 2021 2:01pm
abiopete

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Windydog wrote:
you can DIY at circa 3ppl to good effect.

Please elaborate L494 3.0L SDV6 Autobiography in Chile Red (Current)
L320 3.0L SDV6 Autobiography in Baltic Blue (RIP 29/03/2021 insurance total loss)

Post #613723 Mon May 17 2021 2:53pm
Brit Plumber

England 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Fuji White

RRSTDV8 wrote:
I'm still of the opinion that the fuel used is less of an issue than how you drive the vehicle. Short runs, never getting it properly warm, or long periods sat idling in heavy traffic, are not going to be great for the engine or emissions kit. Driving it for 30 minutes on the open road will ensure everything gets up to temperature, that the emissions devices are able to self-clean, etc., more than the additives in the fuel will.

Correct servicing with the correct oil and quality filters, etc., will do more to improve the life of the vehicle than putting in a particular brand of fuel.

Nail hit squarely on the head!! 2012 5.0 SC AB
Mods:
TPMS
Genuine LR DRLs
Remote Boot close from key fob
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (WIP)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE
2014 LR4 Homelink
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass

70 plate Focus ST (Current)
1942 VEP Ford GPW Jeep (Willys) (Current)
1943 Whites M16 Halftrack (Current)
16 plate Eurofighter Typhoon, 2 x Eurojet engines with 20,000lbs thrust each. 1380mph

Post #613732 Mon May 17 2021 7:39pm
beerbelly

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Stornoway Grey

i always took the benefits of the premium diesel with a pinch of salt thinking its just an extra additive pack how can extra detergents make a difference to performance until i put a bottle of injector cleaner and a bottle of turbo vane cleaner into a full tank of fuel the truck definitely ran smoother and felt just generally happier . i cant explain it but i also noticed a difference when i put my next tank of billy basic supermarket fuel in .so i am a convert to premium fuels

Post #613733 Mon May 17 2021 7:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12