RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > Suspension Issues. Valve Blocks and Compressor.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

WexMan

Ireland 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Suspension Issues. Valve Blocks and Compressor.

Hi Folks,
I had a few issues with suspension since I bought it about 9moths ago, and have worked my way through these issues over time. I have developed a document in the hope it will help others that have similar issues. I will attached the document rather than try to put all the detail here on the post as it should make for easier reading. I will however list the issues I had, so you can decide if want to jump in and read the document and see the photos of what I found.
1. Compressor running excessively and eventually ‘orange’ suspension warning light on Dashboard with message ‘normal height only, special programs off’. I didn’t have a diagnostics tool at this time, so don’t have codes, but I suspect not achieving pressure in pre-determined time.
- Would struggle to get to extended height, lot of compressor action
- Slight sag in rear left corner
- Does not drop height overnight
- Jumps to extended height when selecting access height.
2. Suspension ‘orange’ fault. Not going up, not going down….and eventually stuck in access mode. (I call this the mountain goat effect)
3. Intermittently jumps to Extended mode (7 times out of 10) almost immediately after selecting Access mode. (residual issue after compressor change, was an issue before compressor change also). (I have called this the surprised cat effect)
That surprised cat issue, still annoying me after compressor change. So when in for the 2nd compressor replacement I asked independent LR garage to see if he could find anything.
- Would resolve itself after power off and on ignition and some repeated pressing of suspension height switches to get back to standard height
- Sag in LH corner still there, comes and goes. Not able to figure out a pattern for this issue, but random measurement checks show it is a problem.
- Diagnostics show, gallery slow to vent fault keeps reappearing after codes cleared.

I get into changing out the O-Rings on the valve blocks and how I found an easy method to tackle that rear valve block. I discuss the bad Orings I got from one supplier and the excellent ones I got from another. I also address some other points that I learned from others and which ones of those worked well and which ones didn't. I also talk about new Voss connectors.

I hope this helps - please feel free to offer feedback god or bad on what I have posted. It should help improve the information, I can adjust as needed.

I also hope the pdf file attaches to this post - i haven't done that before!

https://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/u...lved~0.pdf

Last edited by WexMan on Mon Feb 15 2021 8:26pm. Edited 5 times in total

Post #610012 Mon Feb 15 2021 6:34pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

I don't think the link is working 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #610015 Mon Feb 15 2021 6:45pm
WexMan

can you try clicking on the Gallery button and see if you can access the pdf there? Appreciate your help

Post #610019 Mon Feb 15 2021 6:59pm
gogsy1956

It opens in your gallery 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!

Post #610021 Mon Feb 15 2021 7:05pm
WexMan

Do you know how I fix the link? Cheers

Post #610022 Mon Feb 15 2021 7:08pm
WexMan

Hi Gogsy1956, managed to get it working. had to copy and paste the link rather than rely on the add photo button to create the link.
Hope it works now and hope the info helps someone. cheers!

Post #610025 Mon Feb 15 2021 8:25pm
peterjj

Australia 

Awesome document. Thanx for the effort to share. Pete
2008 L320 TDV8
2022 Hilux Rugged-X

Post #610037 Mon Feb 15 2021 11:07pm
GT RRS

United States 

Wow, Wexman - you are THE man!

That’s a document all LR (dealer) technicians could benefit from. I recently replaced rear valve block and struts and will replace fronts soon. Wasn’t planning to replace middle valve block, may reconsider. Most of the information you’ve accumulated was already uncovered, but to have it in one place is fabulous. Brilliant effort. Vincit qui se vincit

Post #610043 Tue Feb 16 2021 3:41am
WexMan

I recommend changing the orings in the valve blocks rather than buying new valve blocks, just vet the orings from 4x4airseals.com. I recommend them as the orings they supplied me fitted perfectly unlike those i received from US supplier. I see you are based in US but i think its best to be confident the parts will work when the car is up on jack stands eh Thumbs Up
I changed my rear valve block as an overkill because i was concerned i had damaged the original one when i installed those crap seals i received first Censored

Orings in all valve blocks will perish over time, so if one block needs them, chances are the other 2 are the same.

Cheers and good luck with the rest of it

Post #610049 Tue Feb 16 2021 8:30am
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Wow - great write up Wexman. Sorry if this is mentioned in your paper and I missed it, but I occasionally had the Access Mode fault where it went to extended mode. My Indie suggested it may well be that the desiccant in the compressor had, leaked out into the pipework which gives the false reading that puts the car into extended mode. (Not sure if I've explained this properly). Anyway, he disconnected the pipes and cleaned them through (air hose I guess?) and since he did this it has been fine. I am sure that this is only a temporary fix and I will probably need a new compressor at some point. Just wanted to throw this into pot. Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #610051 Tue Feb 16 2021 8:54am
WexMan

I can imagine there are probably several other reasons for some of the symptoms i described, good to add the other possible solutions into the pot Thumbs Up
Basically anything that could slow down the height change motion could be a factor.
I would love to get my hands on the functional spec for code to understand the entire control logic. That would be the dicument to have when in problem solving mode.
Cheers for info, keep it coming. Will end up helping someone out there spend less money and time resolving their suspension issues.

Post #610053 Tue Feb 16 2021 9:07am
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Just an update. It just happens that my RRS went in for annual service and MoT today. I tried the Access Mode as I arrived at the garage and "Suspension Fault" appeared. I have asked my Indie to have a look but I'm guessing compressor. Will keep this thread posted with the outcome. Thumbs Up Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #610055 Tue Feb 16 2021 10:03am
WexMan

Get the diagnostics on it. Could be height sensors.

Post #610058 Tue Feb 16 2021 10:47am
gogsy1956

Coincidence that you have posted your findings and solutions wexman as I have just rebuilt my compressor ( Hitachi) as I started experiencing the odd suspension fault for no reason and as eaters did, faults when trying to go into access height. I bought a seal kit from landyair which included ew piston seal and Wear ring, dessicant, filters and o rings for the dryer plus a new end cap and relay,,, which wasn't needed but fitted anyway. Also got a delivery valve kit from 4x4 air seals. I was suprised how good mine was considering the age when I took it apart, the dessicant wasn't too bad but there was a slight amount of dust after the filters. There is a kit available for the exhaust valve, which I wish I had bought but I cleaned it as best I could while I had everything apart. I bought new seals for the valve blocks ( landyair) and so far have done he middle block as it's next to the compressor. Been testing it a little the last few days and no leaks so far,, pumps to off road height quickly but most noticable is the speed it comes down to normal then access height,,,, without fault so I'm guessing the exhaust valve was well overdue a service. I did find white dust in the middle Valve block and hope to get to the other blocks very soon. 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
black perforated leather
22" overfinch

Post #610062 Tue Feb 16 2021 11:33am
WexMan

Hi Gogsy1956. Agree, these units don’t seem to be in a terrible state when taken apart. Suspect they could be worse in humid climates where the dryer gets worked hard.
I do think it’s a sure way to protect against future issues and ween out niggles by replacing orings, by their nature, they will harden over time and a new set will make everything move more freely.
Definitely faster response times moving up or down on suspension heights!
I have the old compressor in the Garage, might refurb it as a learning experience project and have it on standby for that rainy day Idea
Update us on status after you get the rest if the blocks done, be good to hear results.
Will help others.

Post #610063 Tue Feb 16 2021 11:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1