RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Which RRS to buy?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

BruceC

United Kingdom 
Which RRS to buy?

I thought I had narrowed down what I wanted to a circa 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0L HSE. Why? Well it appeared to me that I wouldn't have to face the oil pump casting issue that the 2.7 suffered from, I'd get better fuel economy and a little more grunt from what is essentially the same engine. It seemed to be the sweet spot to aim for.

Then I started reading about the SDV6 3.0L coupled with the 8 speed ZF gearbox. Not entirely sure what (if any) improvements were made to the engine, it appears the fuel economy got a smidgen better, but the gearbox has me intrigued.

I'm wondering if anyone would care to offer a novice like me some advice or considered thoughts on the issue. Should I really think about stretching to a 2011/12 SDV6 with the 8 speed? Or would I be content with the TDV6 and the 6 speed gearbox?

Whichever one I would choose, I suspect I'll be looking at having a workshop change the front cambelt (tensioners etc) as well as the fuel pump drive belt, unless they've already been done. Certainly 10 years has passed for the TDV6's, 7/8 for the SDV6's and I believe 7 years is the recommended time limit, they wouldn't quite be at 100k from what I've seen but certainly around the 70-80k mark. I would also opt for having a new water pump fitted whilst having the cambelt done. I also plan to have the gearbox serviced (not sure whether to opt for the "machine flush" or more traditional drain). The rest of the more basic servicing I would be looking to carry out myself (oil, engine oil filter, fuel filter, air and pollen filter, transfer box and diff oil changes etc). Again, any useful advice or pointers on the above would be much appreciated.

Post #606508 Wed Nov 11 2020 11:59am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I think lower mileage is a good idea on these. Under 100K

I think I would be tempted to go for a late/last 2.7
or maybe a diesel v8

If you have to have a new Oil pump then just factor the cost in. At least there is a known fix for it.
If you going to get a cambelt change anyway, changing the oil pump at the same time should not be a massive issue (if you get the right garage)

Post #606509 Wed Nov 11 2020 1:15pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
its all very personal preference and think you will get many opinions Laughing

I would go for a 3.0 over the 2.7 and then the 8 speed over the 6, each change brings improvements
a 3.8 tdv8 is not for me in the sport, unless I knew the car for many years and how it was "Cooled" down or had just had both turbos replaced (heat sink and cool down for the turbos)

anything of that age I would be more bothered about recent service history with receipts than the mileage,
well over 100k if good servicing, belt service itemized to see What has been replaced

I also like private sales with a car thats still in use, than a car thats been sat doing nothing, aftermarket warranty if you want Question run it a few months to see what work you want to do and see what crops up
(may be do an oil n filter change straight away?)

I would still have an early 2.7 down to price and history Rolling Eyes and keep a slush fund Whistle

gearbox, I would have a transfusion Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #606510 Wed Nov 11 2020 1:37pm
Andy K

The problem is that the 3.0 and 2.7 can suffer from snapped cranks or spun bearings. There is no known fix for these.
People will tell you its rare.
If it happens on a 2.7 you are looking at £4500 + labour
If it happens on a 3.0 its more like £8000 + labour.

Therefore the cost of replacing the turbos on a v8 once, is insignificant I would think ? Dunno the cost ?

The petrol 4.2 SC is reliable.

Post #606514 Wed Nov 11 2020 1:54pm
Boxers

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I was in the same position just over a year ago , always fancied a RRS but undecided on which engine, after discussion & reading various articles went for the TDV8 found one with full history & low ownership and absolutely love it , found a great indie for servicing & advice, certainly avoid LR dealerships.

Post #606517 Wed Nov 11 2020 2:19pm
Seatown

Location: Moray - if you're a courier, yes it's mainland UK & no it's not in the Highlands

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

I went for a TDV8. On balance of risks and horror stories I figured the risk with turbos was a better bet than the much higher cost of a replacement engine in a V6, plus a bit more grunt and a better noise!

I've had mine over 18 months and love it. If you go TDV8 try and find a 2010 model year as you'll get the facelift interior. 2010 was the last year of the TDV8.

Good luck with your search. 2010 TDV8 - current - my first RRS, loving it so far......
2005 Cayenne S - handling defied physics and what a sound, so sod the mpg!
1995 Disco TDI- surprisingly reliable, shame about the peeling dash & other trim
Lots of other non 4X4's in between times.........

Post #606519 Wed Nov 11 2020 2:56pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Should you go for the 2.7 or the 3.0? Neither. The 3.6 is the one to go for if you want a diesel.

With regards to the gearbox, the 8 speed is smoother and is supposed to give better fuel economy because the lock-up clutch engages sooner meaning less wasted energy in the torque converter. I find the 8 speed to be a bit recalcitrant to change down on approach to junctions / roundabouts meaning it's usually in 2 or 3 gears too high when you come back on the throttle going for a blend in to traffic. I use the shift paddles a lot in my SDV6 as a result, where I rarely used the manual shift on the stick in my TDV8.

The TDV8 with the 6 speed gearbox always seems to have grunt on offer where the SDV6 with 8 speed gearbox often changes down when a bit of throttle is applied. The former makes for much more relaxed driving on motorways etc.

The TDV6 and the SDV6 aren't that different in day to day driving because the power curves are similar up to 3000rpm. The TDV8 is ahead all the way and, although the difference is only 10-15bhp most of the time, it's noticeably punchier in day to day driving.

Click image to enlarge

Or you could get the 5.0 SC and do it properly

Click image to enlarge

Note that the TDV8 does better up to about 2500rpm, but then who drives a 5.0 at low revs? Laughing 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #606530 Wed Nov 11 2020 6:48pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

riverblanche wrote:
its all very personal preference and think you will get many opinions Laughing

I did say Whistle

AndyK Therefore the cost of replacing the turbos on a v8 once, is insignificant I would think ? Dunno the cost ?

I had no idea a quick search threw this up, not researched it so Question

Mine just blew both turbos a few weeks ago due to an oil seal letting go in O/S turbo and that ultimately led to the N/S one being starved of oxygen apparently. Had only driven 1/4 mile, coasted round a 1st exit off of a roundabout, went to accelerate and umm... nothing! Recovered, RAC tried to start it but just clicked (knackered starter sound).
End result, 2 turbos, new starter.. had brake pipes done whilst body off and a service and a few odds and sods
..... �4.5k.

I am not try to pick on one engine version, you need to try them all and decide what suits You
(dont want the tdv8 guys ganging up on me either Laughing )

although a 5.0SC is always tempting Cool

Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #606532 Wed Nov 11 2020 7:04pm
Andy K

turbo cost a little more than I thought, but still cheaper than an engine change.

So that's why you replace both turbos, as the good one is starved of oil.

The 5.0 SC has chain issues. I guess you can sort them.

It's only the 4.2 and 4.4 you can call reliable.

Post #606533 Wed Nov 11 2020 7:17pm
Seatown

Location: Moray - if you're a courier, yes it's mainland UK & no it's not in the Highlands

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Regardless of which model you go for, if it's a diesel I would recommend that you change the oil and filter more regularly than the LR stated intervals. I do mine no later than every 5,000 miles.

My thinking is whatever the history of my TDV8 and the previous owners approach to "cooling" the turbos after a run in its first 56,000 miles, regular doses of nice fresh oil is a good preventative measure which should help longevity. Whilst I don't think the TDV8 in the UK ever had a DPF (my 2010 doesn't), later 3.0 V6s will have a DPF fitted and more regular changes will also help avoid oil dilution issues if you tend to do short runs.

Also not much in it MPG wise between the 3.0 V6 and 3.6 V8. I average 28mpg on mixed running and often see 32mpg on a steady long run. 2010 TDV8 - current - my first RRS, loving it so far......
2005 Cayenne S - handling defied physics and what a sound, so sod the mpg!
1995 Disco TDI- surprisingly reliable, shame about the peeling dash & other trim
Lots of other non 4X4's in between times.........

Post #606535 Wed Nov 11 2020 8:08pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Andy K wrote:

If it happens on a 2.7 you are looking at £4500 + labour
If it happens on a 3.0 its more like £8000 + labour.

I would say £8k + labour on a 3.0 is way off at today's prices.

A new 3.0 short engine from Land Rover is around £4750 + VAT that's based on returning the old engine. Part number LR038138.

A rebuild on a 3.0 will cost between £3k and £6k all in.

Having had both a TDV6 and a SDV8, (with the SDV8 being in my FFRR, not my RRS) I would opt for the V8 any day, based on the driving experience. The drive is effortless.

The best thing to do is to drive both and then make your mind up. Specs on paper are good as a guide, but you cannot make up for trying them in the flesh.

Whilst the TDV6 does have a known issue with conrod bearings spinning and cranks snapping, the likelihood can be said to be low when you take into consideration the thousands of cars on the road. I think TDV8 turbos are more likely to need replacing at around 100k than replacing the engine in a TDV6.

My advice is get what you prefer and go into it with your eyes wide open so nothing comes as a surprise.

As for the gearboxes, I have found the 6 speed and 8 speed very good. From a usability perspective, I much prefer the stick on the 6HP over the rotary dial on the 8HP. It's just more intuitive. One thing I don't like on the 8HP is that when coming down a hill and braking then transferring back to the accelerator, it appears that the gearbox tends to be in too high a gear. Apart from that minor point, it performs well. Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #606551 Thu Nov 12 2020 9:35am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

What Kev says. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #606559 Thu Nov 12 2020 12:19pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

knwatkins wrote:
Andy K wrote:

My advice is get what you prefer and go into it with your eyes wide open .

I have just been listening to a few podcast from Chris Harris and one think that stuck was his comment on previous cars

"You look back and remember the cars you have had, some for good reasons and some bad, but you Never look back and remember the Money you saved for not buying one ! if you want one and can afford it, Buy it"

Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #606565 Thu Nov 12 2020 1:57pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

That is very true indeed! However, that has now caused me to look back and think about it Big Cry Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #606571 Thu Nov 12 2020 8:01pm
Father Jack

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

2 turbos on an sdv6 is around £4k, new turbos. Body off. I still have my bill from 3 yrs ago.....

Sdv6 is fine in every day use. I seldom use the paddles and in S mode there is plenty of engine braking available. Roundabout Roullette is easily avoided in D if you select 1st on paddle and boot it, it will shift up at red line (don't do in S mode as it won't change up).

Best tip ? Get it tuned by Alive. Takes it to 300 plus bhp and boosts torque usefully. Did mine 60k miles ago 5yrs back. Transforms the car for basically £500.

Post #606579 Fri Nov 13 2020 10:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>