RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Now the suspension has started to play up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

squizzel

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost
Now the suspension has started to play up

I use the access height on the suspension a lot, as my wife finds it easier to get in and out. But yesterday the front end was quite slow to raise. Fine the day before. Today the same but i had a slow to rise message on the dash, but it did get there. Got to where we were going, just a 10 minute drive, and lowered the suspension. 5 minutes got back in and the car went up as normal.
The compressor was replaced around 10 years ago when my dad first had the car, the garage doing it said there was a new kit out and replaced the compressor and the plastic housing it's in. So i am presuming it has been changed from an Hitachi to an AMK. Will have a look when it stops raining, so not this weekend. But i am thinking it's the compressor on its way out, there's no fault codes showing, so does this sound the most likely cause ?

Post #605141 Fri Oct 02 2020 4:29pm
garrycol

Australia 

Sounds all normal to be - the raising slowly message is not a fault message but just an advisory - most likely the tank was low of air but was not low enough to trigger the compressor when you shut down - particularly when you lowered to access height so not demand in that.

However when you started and needed to go up there was not enough air in the tank so the compressor had to pump the system up - when the tank is full you go up quickly but when the compressor has to push up the system on its own you get the raising slowly message all normal.

You said you have no codes or faults so at this stage everything is OK - however if this does become consistent then you will need to look further - but at 10 years and over use of the compressor in lowering means that maybe it is time for some preventative maintenance - not sure if rebuild kits are available for the AMK but cheap and easy for the Hitachi - you need to confirm what compressor you have.

Just remember the occasional raising slowly message is not a fault but if it starts to come on everytime then further investigation is needed - but then you should have fault indications.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #605155 Sat Oct 03 2020 4:38am
squizzel

Thanks for the reply
I had the same happen just before lockdown, but my battery had gone faulty then. Had that replaced under warranty and all was good. It has been slow 2 days running now, but only 1st thing in the morning, but fine after. So i really need to get under and check the tank too just to be on the safe side. I have left the suspension up over night and it's still at the same height as i left it so that's all good. I am going to have a look at what compressor is fitted and get a spare just in case. Just waiting for a break in the weather.

Post #605157 Sat Oct 03 2020 8:43am
squizzel

Managed to get under the car this morning, It seems as the compressor wasn't upgraded as thought when Dad originally got the car. Pictures attached are my compressor, it's an Hitatchi but i can't find any markings or tags to say if it's a genuine one or not. I am going to look for a replacement and hopefully get a rebuild kit for this one, still looking quite clean though. The bit that's really got to me is that i replaced the front bottom arms 2 months ago, and while i was under the car i saw that the rubber boot on the one bottom ball joint was split open. Another job to do.

Post #605179 Sat Oct 03 2020 4:54pm
garrycol

Australia 

Just freshen up what you have - my Hitachi is 13 years old and still runs fine - only one freshen up.

In my view buying another compressor will be an absolute waste of money, particularly as you have no faults at the moment. Remember a genuine Hitachi will cost you in the region of 600 pounds and the clones and "Hitachi type" compressors that sell for less than half that are a waste of money. 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #605192 Sun Oct 04 2020 4:20am
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

You can buy Dunlop compressors for £195+VAT here: https://www.lrparts.net/lr023964-air-suspe...relay.html

They are direct replacement for the Hitachi, made in the UK and are of very good quality.

However, as Garry mentioned, it's probably a waste of money at this stage.

You are on the right path - definitely check the tank. They have a habit of rusting on the top and therefore develop a series of pin holes which allow the air to escape. If there's not enough air in the tank, you will have a problem raising the vehicle.

It may also be that the air lines could be partially blocked due to the desiccant breaking down in the compressor.

If it were me, I would:
1. Whip the compressor off and rebuild it
2. Check the tank for leaks
3. Blow out the air lines with compressed air if the desiccant has broken down
4. Consider cleaning and renewing the seals in the valve blocks Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #605193 Sun Oct 04 2020 7:31am
garrycol

Australia 

Dunlop compressors like the other knock-offs really do not have a good reputation as highlighted on this forum and the Disco 3 forum. 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #605195 Sun Oct 04 2020 7:36am
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I had one on my L320 for two years and it never missed a beat. I've heard of hardly any issues with them.

They are great quality in my experience. Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #605196 Sun Oct 04 2020 7:39am
squizzel

Is there a rebuild kit anyone would recommend?
And is there a way to see if its a genuine Hitachi compressor that's fitted, as there are no markings as i can see
Thanks.

Post #605198 Sun Oct 04 2020 8:45am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

A genuine L/R will have something like this on the end of it, not sure what a genuine Hitachi aftermarket replacement would have on it though. If it's lasted 10 years I would suspect it is either L/R or Hitachi genuine unit, if it had been a Chinese copy be lucky if it had lasted 10 days.

Cheers
Col

Post #605199 Sun Oct 04 2020 9:13am
garrycol

Australia 

squizzel wrote:
Is there a rebuild kit anyone would recommend?
And is there a way to see if its a genuine Hitachi compressor that's fitted, as there are no markings as i can see
Thanks.

https://x8r.co.uk/land-rover-discovery-3-4...hi-end-cap

As far as the genuine item goes - like all things quizz thr seller on this. If it says Hitachi Type it just means it is a copy. 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #605200 Sun Oct 04 2020 11:21am
squizzel

Looking around at all the chinesium compressors, it seems that only the genuine compressors have the red and blue fittings. As mine has these i am betting it is genuine. I am going to order the rebuild kit. The one in the link provided has an aluminium billeted end cap, so i am going to go for that as i have read that the original ones crack over time. On the bright side the car hasn't played up today. 55 plate
2.7 TDV6 HSE
Arctic frost

Post #605202 Sun Oct 04 2020 4:20pm
garrycol

Australia 

Yes definitely go the aluminium cap - you will safe on problems later. 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #605217 Mon Oct 05 2020 2:05am
squizzel

Attempted the rebuild today, started at 9.30am and at 3pm still hadn't got the compressor off. The bottom bolt, the awkward one under the dryer is rusted in and rounded off. It was already rounded when i started. I have quite a range of sockets for different scenarios, but nothing i tried would grip. The only thing i hadn't got was the irwin bolt removers, so off i went to get some. Completely useless in this situation, they just won't grip onto the bolt head. I have tried almost everything. The only 2 options left are try to get a reciprocating saw between the aluminium bracket and chassis, hopefully. Or get a new bracket and cut the bottom off the one that's fitted to the car. On the plus side the hard to reach top bolt is missing, and the compressor is a genuine land rover one as i found the markings on it. 55 plate
2.7 TDV6 HSE
Arctic frost

Post #605555 Wed Oct 14 2020 9:28pm
1richard1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Don't know how much room you have will not a gripper type socket get it off.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/ac...amp;adurl=

Or can you get a small tool like a dremel in to cut a slot in the head and use a large screwdriver?

Post #605562 Thu Oct 15 2020 7:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>