RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Location of sump plug 2013 3.0l - last of the old style
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Scoie

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HST Firenze Red
Location of sump plug 2013 3.0l - last of the old style

I have had a search so I am sorry if this has been posted elsewhere already - I am new to the site! My question: I want to do an interim oil/filter change between services on my 3.0l diesel 2013 last of the old style (its a Black edition and rather nice) and I know this sounds crazy but I cannot find anywhere information about where the sump plug is located! My usual garage is not answering the phone.. can anyone help please? Thank you in advance!

Post #600387 Wed Jun 17 2020 3:43pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

well you remove the massive heavy engine guard.

you should then see a small black sump like a 5 litre bottle. and a 13mm? bolt on the bottom

Post #600390 Wed Jun 17 2020 4:33pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Don't know if there is a shortcut, but a bit of a performance to reset the oil level indicator on the dash according to the manual, not like the old days pour it in and check the dipstick. Laughing

Cheers
Col

Post #600406 Wed Jun 17 2020 9:28pm
LandPhil

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Ipanema Sand

Changing the oil by removing the sump plug is fine but a real PITA. if you intend to change your oil every 6 months as I do then invest in a vacuum pump and suck it out the breather on the left side of the engine. It’s the pipe sticking up in the 7 o’clock position relative to tHe oil filler cap.

Oil filter and oil change takes about 15 minutes, 10 of which are drinking you tea. It also gets ALL of the old oil out

As for resetting the oil level indicator - there is no reset required. Drain the oil then put in 6 litres of fresh oil, warm up the engine To normal running temp, wait 10 minutes and check the level

Amazon has loads of vacuum pumps, Sealey make a good 6.5 ltr one, just make sure it will hold at least 6 litres.

Post #600444 Thu Jun 18 2020 3:24pm
Col

Not quite sure why L/R would include nearly a 10 page section in the workshop manual telling you how to do it using a combination of the the c/c and menu buttons after doing a oil change if not required, unless I've misread it which is quite possible, or it's just L/R complicating thinks as usual.

Cheers
Col

Post #600466 Thu Jun 18 2020 9:14pm
LandPhil

I can’t help with that Col but I have done about 6 oil changes on my 2013 Black and never done a reset and everything works just fine.

Post #600469 Thu Jun 18 2020 9:32pm
LandPhil

Just had a thought - is it telling you to reset the Service Required warning which I think includes the Oil Dilution warning, which I have never seen in my RRS.

Post #600473 Thu Jun 18 2020 9:37pm
Col

I just wonder if it isn't reset afterwards whether it is showing a totally accurate reading, but if you refill with the correct amount and haven't had any issues I guess it can't be far out. No it doesn't mention the DPF or reset service indicator, not sure the RRS1 3.0 had oil dilution issues did it?

Cheers
Col

Post #600474 Thu Jun 18 2020 9:40pm
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The oil service reset does impact how the car performs a DPF regeneration.

This is stated in the IID tool manual...

Click image to enlarge

DPF regeneration will always cause engine oil dilution to some extent through overfuelling into the cylinders where small amounts of fuel will pass by the piston rings.

The only time it's a problem is when the regeneration process is being conducted at much more regular frequency than desired, causing excessive dilution. Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #600484 Fri Jun 19 2020 7:27am
Col

Are we not talking about two slightly different things here.

Cheers
Col

Post #600487 Fri Jun 19 2020 7:37am
knwatkins

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Ah, yes, sorry Col, my bad. Kev

MY2014 L405 RR Vogue SE 4.4 SDV8 in Corris Grey
MY2010 L320 RRS HSE 3.0 TDV6 in Stornoway Grey

Post #600488 Fri Jun 19 2020 7:39am
abiopete

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

LandPhil wrote:
Changing the oil by removing the sump plug is fine but a real PITA. if you intend to change your oil every 6 months as I do then invest in a vacuum pump and suck it out the breather on the left side of the engine. It’s the pipe sticking up in the 7 o’clock position relative to tHe oil filler cap.

Oil filter and oil change takes about 15 minutes, 10 of which are drinking you tea. It also gets ALL of the old oil out

As for resetting the oil level indicator - there is no reset required. Drain the oil then put in 6 litres of fresh oil, warm up the engine To normal running temp, wait 10 minutes and check the level

Amazon has loads of vacuum pumps, Sealey make a good 6.5 ltr one, just make sure it will hold at least 6 litres.

I've got the same car one of the very last of the old models and this was my plan every year staggered 6 months with the Indy service. However, this has an electronic oil level indicator through the menus so no dipstick. Anyone know how to do a top end change on these? L494 3.0L SDV6 Autobiography in Chile Red (Current)
L320 3.0L SDV6 Autobiography in Baltic Blue (RIP 29/03/2021 insurance total loss)

Post #600504 Fri Jun 19 2020 9:40am
andyslandy

England 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Tonga Green

Simples says L/R, make it sound complicated baked up with lots of pictures and pages and there you go they say.

Driver/customer, this sounds hard and complicated i will take it to L/R and pay them to do it and thank them for emptying my pockets.

Synical who me never. Rolling Eyes

Post #600508 Fri Jun 19 2020 10:05am
abiopete

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

abiopete wrote:
LandPhil wrote:

I've got the same car one of the very last of the old models and this was my plan every year staggered 6 months with the Indy service. However, this has an electronic oil level indicator through the menus so no dipstick. Anyone know how to do a top end change on these?

Ignore that, found it.

Click image to enlarge
 L494 3.0L SDV6 Autobiography in Chile Red (Current)
L320 3.0L SDV6 Autobiography in Baltic Blue (RIP 29/03/2021 insurance total loss)

Post #600513 Fri Jun 19 2020 10:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1