RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 2012 RRS heated steering wheel retrofit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

JasM

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
2012 RRS heated steering wheel retrofit

How difficult would it be to retrofit a heated steering wheel in a 2012 RRS? 2014 L405 SDV8 RR Autobiography Cool

2012 RRS SDV6 HSE -Orkney Grey with A/B bodykit - Now Gone Sad
2007 RRS TDV6 HSE - Zermatt Silver - Gone

Post #414052 Fri Feb 14 2014 6:45pm
Bomber H

I'll share this with you...
I'm trying to do this at the moment on my MY'11, but have hit a stumbling block - which *shouldn't* be a problem on your later car.

The issue seems to be with the clock spring to which the electrical connectors connect. Basically there is only 1 clock spring type for the RRS and it comes with all the connections in place, so should be simple plug in and go/activate situation. However, the clock spring I have doesn't have the connector for the heated steering wheel wiring! Mad

I'm in dialogue with Dan at Duckworths as to why I haven't got the connector, and whether or not I can get the latest clock spring and get it all to work (subject to other wiring being in place). It is possible that I may have an end of batch previous generation clock spring which may not have had all the connectors - but this is speculation, and I await his advice.

As you have a later car, I'd imagine you stand a better chance of adding the wheel than I currently do. Perhaps someone else who has done it will come along with their knowledge. Thumbs Up 2016 VW Golf GTD DSG
2007 Exige S British GT SE
Gone : 2011 3.0TDV6 HSE, Stornoway Grey, Ivory, Piano Black Trim, Paddleshift, Privacy Glass, Side Steps, Mud Flaps, Heated Steering Wheel, Timed Climate & Remote Park Heating Smile

Post #414070 Fri Feb 14 2014 9:04pm
flack

If you have the switch and the heated wheel, plus the right clock spring then its a doddle to fit, takes about an hour max..

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #414072 Fri Feb 14 2014 9:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JasM

Bomber H wrote:
I'll share this with you...
I'm trying to do this at the moment on my MY'11, but have hit a stumbling block - which *shouldn't* be a problem on your later car.

The issue seems to be with the clock spring to which the electrical connectors connect. Basically there is only 1 clock spring type for the RRS and it comes with all the connections in place, so should be simple plug in and go/activate situation. However, the clock spring I have doesn't have the connector for the heated steering wheel wiring! Mad

I'm in dialogue with Dan at Duckworths as to why I haven't got the connector, and whether or not I can get the latest clock spring and get it all to work (subject to other wiring being in place). It is possible that I may have an end of batch previous generation clock spring which may not have had all the connectors - but this is speculation, and I await his advice.

As you have a later car, I'd imagine you stand a better chance of adding the wheel than I currently do. Perhaps someone else who has done it will come along with their knowledge. Thumbs Up

How can I find out which clock spring is fitted to my RRS? 2014 L405 SDV8 RR Autobiography Cool

Post #414076 Fri Feb 14 2014 9:24pm
JasM

flack wrote:
If you have the switch and the heated wheel, plus the right clock spring then its a doddle to fit, takes about an hour max..

Flack Thumbs Up

Ok great.

Just hope mine has the right clock spring fitted. 2014 L405 SDV8 RR Autobiography Cool

Post #414077 Fri Feb 14 2014 9:29pm
flack

You can soon see if you have the right clock spring it has an extra two pin socket on the left hand side of the clock spring body.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #414098 Sat Feb 15 2014 9:39am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bomber H

Judging by a couple of items up for sale on an auction site at present, it appears that the clock spring excluding the heated wheel connection carries the part number YRC500080.

The one with the heated wheel connection is LR018556. I guess I have the former Rolling Eyes 2016 VW Golf GTD DSG
2007 Exige S British GT SE
Gone : 2011 3.0TDV6 HSE, Stornoway Grey, Ivory, Piano Black Trim, Paddleshift, Privacy Glass, Side Steps, Mud Flaps, Heated Steering Wheel, Timed Climate & Remote Park Heating Smile

Post #414561 Tue Feb 18 2014 7:10pm
tommy-boy

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

I have had one on my 08 HSE since I got it (about 4 years ago IIRC)

Bloody love mine.... The look on peoples faces when you tell them the steering wheel is heated Wink Wink

Would strongly consider paying for the factory fit on the next one.
Mine was fitted along with the SIM card activation for the pre-heat module, so always toasty warm getting in for me. 08MY HSE 3.6 TDV8 Stornoway Grey, Twisted performance cat back... and shed loads of extras!!!

Post #414574 Tue Feb 18 2014 10:42pm
JasM

Bomber H wrote:
Judging by a couple of items up for sale on an auction site at present, it appears that the clock spring excluding the heated wheel connection carries the part number YRC500080.

The one with the heated wheel connection is LR018556. I guess I have the former Rolling Eyes

Finally checked my Clock spring and it appears that I have the non-heated one. Big Cry Cheapest heated clock spring I have found is £207.

I have already bought a heated wheel complete with all switches so just need to sort out the clock spring. 2014 L405 SDV8 RR Autobiography Cool

Post #418316 Tue Mar 18 2014 6:09pm
ken21

Hong Kong 

Love mine aswell....just feel great to touch Thumbs Up

Post #418639 Fri Mar 21 2014 8:20am
dvb247

England 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Alaska White

I have a 2012 RRS, 24 months old now, would love this option, have already got preheat icon which is a useful option on a cold winters morning!!
Do you have a link to purchase the heated wheel, switch and other bits?
Cheers If you've got it, spend it!

Post #424659 Sun May 18 2014 9:48pm
BadBoyBeltran

United States 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
Heated Steering Retrofit L320

Good morning guys!

Looking for some help on changing my stock 2007 steering to a heated model, preferably keeping the airbag (unless I find a used wheel that come with).

Does someone have a list of parts needed to do the upgrade?

Thank you!

-John

tommy-boy wrote:
I have had one on my 08 HSE since I got it (about 4 years ago IIRC)

Bloody love mine.... The look on peoples faces when you tell them the steering wheel is heated Wink Wink

Would strongly consider paying for the factory fit on the next one.
Mine was fitted along with the SIM card activation for the pre-heat module, so always toasty warm getting in for me.

Post #594847 Fri Feb 14 2020 3:02pm
BadBoyBeltran

Hello.

Does someone have the wiring from the clock spring to the fuse box? Want to have a look at how it all gets connected, if there are any relays etc needed for this retrofit. I also want to make sure that the LR018556 clock spring I am going to buy gets proper power or if I have to run some new wires.

Thank you.

-John

Post #595552 Tue Feb 25 2020 10:43am
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

Hi you will need a wheel from no later than a 2012 disco 4 or sport any later and it wont work with out a lot more work a heated clock spring if you don't have one a wire to get power from cig lighter to clock spring and new boards from BBS solutions to make them work if your bothered about buttons working stereo/cruise etc Thumbs Up

Post #595583 Tue Feb 25 2020 9:04pm
BadBoyBeltran

Hello.

I was able to grab a 2011 RRS steering wheel that came with the controls. Are you saying that those would not work with the retrofit to my 2007 RRS?

-John

Post #595589 Wed Feb 26 2020 2:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>