RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > 2012 RRS heated steering wheel retrofit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

The Steering Wheel will but you need need to change the circuit boards in the control switches to a pair of these. https://blackbox-solutions.com/shop/catego...n-kit-kits as the circuit boards will not work with the 05-09 vehicles.
You will also need the add on AC032 for the heated wheel + AC033 if you have ACC.

Funnily enough I sold the complete conversion I removed from my old 09 car when I sold it to someone in the States, mind you that was a few years ago now.

Cheers
Col

Post #595590 Wed Feb 26 2020 1:36am
BadBoyBeltran

United States 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Doh.

I thought that the controls, including the steering heat switch will work with the new clock spring. I have to change the boards including the one for heated steering...

I also see a board for paddles - will they work on my car that didn’t come with them?

Post #595591 Wed Feb 26 2020 2:03am
Col

Yes, you can retro fit the paddle shift as I did this as well, however the paddles will only work with the gearbox in sport mode, or least that's all when I did my conversion, later conversions may allow them to work in "D" as well but don't know on that one, best to email Colin at BBS and ask.

Cheers
Col

Post #595592 Wed Feb 26 2020 2:14am
BadBoyBeltran

Ah ok. Any IIDTool coding needed for all this?

Also, will the heated steering work without the new circuit boards? It seems that all the 2011 RRS wheel need for heat to function is a 12VDC with a 10A fuse.

Thank you!

Post #595593 Wed Feb 26 2020 2:33am
Col

I don't think so because you are fitting something that may never have been a option, but saying that I can't really remember as my car did already have the wiring in place for the heated wheel so it was only a question of plugging the connector in, but as I say can't really remember, I'm sure someone else will be able to answer that for you.

Cheers
Col

Post #595594 Wed Feb 26 2020 2:57am
Col

BadBoyBeltran wrote:
Ah ok. Any IIDTool coding needed for all this?

Also, will the heated steering work without the new circuit boards? It seems that all the 2011 RRS wheel need for heat to function is a 12VDC with a 10A fuse.

Thank you!

The problem is your original switch wiring/circuit boards etc. will not work with the later steering wheel switches so what ever happens you need the new circuit boards.

Cheers
Col

Last edited by Col on Wed Feb 26 2020 7:32am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #595595 Wed Feb 26 2020 3:02am
BadBoyBeltran

The 2011 wheel that I have come with its own switches, including the one for heated steering. I am not reusing my old 2007 switches.

Post #595596 Wed Feb 26 2020 3:08am
Col

The 2011 circuit boards are not compatible with the 2007 wiring/plugs and will not connect, which is why you need the new modified circuit boards for all the existing steering wheel functions to work with the new switches, in addition to the heated wheel.

Cheers
Col

Post #595597 Wed Feb 26 2020 3:14am
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

As said the boards that come with the 2011 wheel will not work with a early car they need to be changed to blackbox boards to have one of the best but not cheap mods you will do to your car i had it on my Disco then moved it to my sport Thumbs Up

Post #595599 Wed Feb 26 2020 7:19am
BadBoyBeltran

Got it.

Thank you.

-John

Post #595603 Wed Feb 26 2020 11:55am
BadBoyBeltran

If the boards are not changed in the switches, which functions will and will not work (Including Heated Steering)? Might be a while until I get them.

Post #595637 Thu Feb 27 2020 12:18am
BadBoyBeltran

Update!!!

I was able to do on this over the weekend, and i have some pointers for the next guy:

Clock Spring - there is a sight glass at the ~ 4 o'clock position that shows if the clock spring is "in the middle"/centered in terms of rotation. There should be a white or yellow piece that shows on the sight glass, and the "middle" is about 3 full turns from either side. If you are "off center" and put the steering wheel back on, you will probably not able to feel the over-rotation when you are driving and ending up breaking the internals of the click spring which can damage the electrical connections between the car and electrical on your wheel, including the Air Bag.

Disconnecting the Battery during Air Bag removal/Installation - there has been some people who have been removing Air Bags without this, and they say it is ok. The main worry for me from what I have been reading, is that if you have an Air Bag error, you might need it reset at the dealer.

Removing the Air Bag - make sure that your tool has something good to pull on (like a T-Handle). Since your Air Bag as been there since you bought the car, they can be a bear to remove. The guides on the back cover of the steering wheel are angled down, so follow that all the way with the tool, them come up to hook the clamp that hold the Air Bag to the steering wheel, and pull.

Power for the Heat for the Wheel - the website where I bought the connector from, has a note that the power to the heat for the wheel to be at 10A, and has a "Plug and Play" version, which piggy-backs to the cigarette lighter power, which is through a 15A Fuse. I spent the extra time routing the power towards the Interior Fuse Box P101. I ended up removing the center console and tapping my ground on the Cig Lighter's, but kept going to said Fuse Box.

The Fuse for the cigarette lighter is directly connected to the Battery 12V (the Relay is after the Fuse) - you can accidentally leave your Heat SW on after you get out of the car, which to me is not good. I dug through the schematic and found Fuse 34, which is for interior accessories. This fuse has a relay before it, meaning that the car has to be on before power is available at the fuse. I bought a piggy-back fuse and added a 10A for the power to for the Steering Heat. Fuse 34 is also a spare fuse, but it looks like a lot of digging and disconnecting has to happen to be able to find a factory-type way of using the stock wiring for the wheel.

When applying the Piggy Back fuse such as THIS - MICRO2® Fuse Adapter - 32V DC, 10 Amp - make sure that the flow of power follows where the wire/pigtail goes so you do not end up bypassing the fuse on both the wheel and the Fuse you are piggy-backing on. You bypass the Fuse from the hot side to the Heat Power Wire and having both new and old Fuses in parallel if you apply the Piggy-Back upside-down.

The install was relatively easy. I read some guides along the way. The 2010 - 2013 steering wheels look great and the heat is better than i expected.

Thank you again for the help of everyone here. I will see how i can add some photos of my install.

Post #596615 Tue Mar 17 2020 2:03am
Col

Did you manage to get the later steering wheel switches working without changing the circuit boards?

Cheers
Col

Post #596616 Tue Mar 17 2020 2:15am
BadBoyBeltran

I didn’t even try. Bought the BBS boards and applied them right away.

Post #596617 Tue Mar 17 2020 2:37am
BadBoyBeltran

Hello again.

The 2011 and later Steering Wheels do not have Voice Command. Has anyone tried adding it back someone on the dash, center console, or on the 2010+ wheel?

-John

Post #596696 Thu Mar 19 2020 1:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>