Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Cool Boxes.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

McFarTech

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey
Cool Boxes.

Guys.

So this year I’m going to be putting some miles on the Range. We are looking to purchase a cool box to plug in the boot as there is a 12v socket.

Any suggestions on tried and tested cool boxes. Anything to be aware of ? Best way of securing it. Am I right in thinking the cool box is only powered when ignition on? Don’t want to drain the battery with the fridge.

Thanks in advance. ===========================================
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography 3.0 SDV6 8 speed Automatic
Orkney Grey with cream and black leather.
===========================================

Post #593550 Mon Jan 20 2020 8:21pm
Duc750

United Kingdom 

depends on what you want really

if you want just a cool box then get yourself to Halfrauds or Go Outdoors and get one of the camping Gaz ones or Outwell or halfrauds own brand. They are all pretty power hungry though

if you want a proper fridge but in a smaller cooler package Engel do a 12 litre version or the SnoMaster BDC 12 is a proper bit of kit. Will also run as a freezer for ice cream at summer picnics
after that you're into 35 litre fridges - again I'd go for snomaster but thats largely because we have.

Its easy to say the cheapie Halfrauds ones will do the job but that power point in the boot shuts off with ignition so something with decent insulation would be on my shopping list. It all depends on how long you want to use it for and for why ? 2012 SDV6 HSE (technically its hers)
2000 D2 TD5 - definitely mine
2005 D3 V8
Metalian Camper trailer for adventures

Post #593575 Tue Jan 21 2020 2:15pm
McFarTech

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

Thanks mate.

Well we are going to be doing some mileage this year in the Range. We have 15 month old as well so keeping milk and his baby food cool on long journeys will make life easier. We would also like to be able to pack it with some food and drink so that we can stop and eat on route where we want to rather than at cafe and motorways , towns etc. I don't think we have a requirement to freeze food just keep it cool. Its also fine that it won't be cooling while the car ignition is not running.

I am told most of them will stay cool for a while. we have ice packs if needs be.

Craig ===========================================
2013 Range Rover Sport Autobiography 3.0 SDV6 8 speed Automatic
Orkney Grey with cream and black leather.
===========================================

Post #593594 Tue Jan 21 2020 8:36pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

How about a genuine L/R one bargain price Rolling with laughter can't believe I have actualy got one of these in my garage left over from my old P38 days Shocked Fortunately don't think they are available any more, might be something to do with price.

Cheers
Col

Post #593601 Tue Jan 21 2020 9:46pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

Our Outwell one from Go Outdoors is great and is probably 10 years old now....kiss of death Rolling Eyes Rolling with laughter
Latest version https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15906268/outw...v-15906268 Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #593616 Wed Jan 22 2020 8:56am
Duc750

United Kingdom 

so it depends really on what you want to be and how secure you want the cold chain to stay

an outwell cool box will cool 18-25 degrees below outside temperature so if its in the boot and the temperature around it is 30 degrees (possible in summer) it'll be running full chat and it will at best be down to 5 degrees at worst it will be at 12 degrees

A compressor based fridge will run to whatever you set it at and regulate there - from experience our snomaster fridge is quite happy to maintain -20 when the ambient temperature is in the 40's but is constantly running

A compressor fridge will be in the multiples of hundreds and a coolbox will be around 100 depending on size and supplier (give or take £40 either way probably).
Simplest solution though is probably a really good cooler and some ice packs in you only need to keep things cool for a day or so 2012 SDV6 HSE (technically its hers)
2000 D2 TD5 - definitely mine
2005 D3 V8
Metalian Camper trailer for adventures

Post #593692 Thu Jan 23 2020 12:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1