RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Intermittent Wipe
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Rob_J

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Intermittent Wipe

Now this could be just me but this seems to be absolutely useless, I've played around with the thing & no matter what I do seems to make no difference whatsoever to the wipe speed. The intermittent seems to be just too quick. Anyone else notice this or is this a little gremlin? HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
911GT3 (Guards Red, carbon interior)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #10034 Wed Jan 11 2006 10:26am
MDP

United Kingdom 

I see what you mean, I too have thought it useless. But then we have auto rain sensor which is telling the wipers to wipe, so how can the intermittent cope with this as well ?

Use RAINEX and switch the bl**dy things off altogether Wink 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #10039 Wed Jan 11 2006 10:41am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

This happens with me too, but I think there's a general issue with the intermittent wipe. I remember the RRS I test drove before buying mine also had the same problem as it was pouring then and I couldn't find the speed I wanted. Typically, the wife's Freelander intermittent wipe works perfectly.... Rolling Eyes 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #10074 Wed Jan 11 2006 1:49pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

The auto sensor is ok, but like everyone says, there appears to be no change in sensitivity and therefore frequency of wipes when you alter the stalk dial.

They need to look into this. I am guessing it's not a fault but a design or part problem that is across all models. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #10077 Wed Jan 11 2006 1:51pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

There has been other posts on this and the wiper configuration has been a big issue to me.
Anyway, for those who have automatic wipers (all models except 'S'), you do NOT have an intermittent option on your wipers. When you select the first position (this would be the intermittent normally) you are actually selecting the automatic rain sensor. The wipers then do it themselves.

The rotary dial then changes the delay of the rear wiper. Ignore what the manual says. It is wrong. The rotary dial changes the delay of the rear wiper only and does not adjust the sensitivity of the auto wiper sensor.

While on the subject of wipers again.....if your wipers are noisy - check the wiper blades - the rubber tears and they need replacing. They don't last long. Mine only lasted a few months. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #10167 Wed Jan 11 2006 8:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rob_J

mpwox11 wrote:
There has been other posts on this and the wiper configuration has been a big issue to me.
Anyway, for those who have automatic wipers (all models except 'S'), you do NOT have an intermittent option on your wipers. When you select the first position (this would be the intermittent normally) you are actually selecting the automatic rain sensor. The wipers then do it themselves.

The rotary dial then changes the delay of the rear wiper. Ignore what the manual says. It is wrong. The rotary dial changes the delay of the rear wiper only and does not adjust the sensitivity of the auto wiper sensor.

While on the subject of wipers again.....if your wipers are noisy - check the wiper blades - the rubber tears and they need replacing. They don't last long. Mine only lasted a few months.

Thanks Matt that solves it, still hopless but at least I know why!! I'll do my own intermittent from now on! HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #10169 Wed Jan 11 2006 9:39pm
RRUK

Well Censored Me! I thought I had read the manual well enough. Now I know why I have been leaving the rear wiper off most of the time, cos I felt it was wiping too frequently, and that's cos I was getting it all wrong...

I prefered the system in the BMW's, where you can adjust the sensitivity of the rain sensor though. L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #10171 Wed Jan 11 2006 11:22pm
Rob_J

I prefer the system in the Porsche an infinitely variable intermittent wipe, seem to be anything from 30 sec between wipes to virtually normal operation. What the hell do you need rain sensors for anyhow? You mean drivers can really not tell when to remove the rain from the windscreen Rolling Eyes HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #10174 Thu Jan 12 2006 12:33am
RRUK

All,

This puzzled me enough for me to go to great lengths to cut and paste the sections from the owner's manual as below.

If you read the section for the front wipers in the box below, it clearly states that the intermittent delay can be altered via the dial on the stalk. If you look AT the stalk, the pictogram for the delay dial is one of the windscreen (curved screen picture) and not the rear window (rectangular screen picture)

However, it THEN says on the following page the the delay can be altered for the the rear also! (See second picture)

Interesting to note you can have the dealer tweak the rear wiper for continuous operation.

L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #10337 Fri Jan 13 2006 6:14pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

I've never used such a counter-intuitive system for wiping your screens. I do wish car manufacturers would all stick to the same rules. Mad 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #10348 Fri Jan 13 2006 6:39pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

This has been dicussed before, see http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.p...mp;start=0
I too extracted the relevant pages from the manual to prove the same point that the manual is wrong.....or maybe the car is wrong! Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #10362 Fri Jan 13 2006 9:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ST

Well it works as designed on the D3!

If you have the front wipers switched to rain sensor, each time you move the sensitivity up on the stalk you get an extra wipe - tried it several times when I first bought it. If you then pull the rear on it does sensitivity for the front and intermitant for the rear!!

Most recent cars I have owned have had sensor wipers and I think this is the best version I have seen yet.......LR, don't ya just love the consistant approach to the build Laughing

Will look out for this when the new addition to the family hits the drive Currently: Carbon Black 535d
RIP: RRSTDV6 HSE & DISCO3 HSE

Post #14539 Sat Feb 25 2006 6:15am
w55ksy

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

My 2009 RRS auto wiper drives me mad! I've had BMWs since 2000 and they sussed this problem out perfectly years ago. Whenever there's rain - the wipers work just the right amount.

The version on my RRS waits until just about the point where there's so much drizzle on the screen you are nearly forced to use manual mode - then you get a measly wipe and wait for the screen to build up to the point you can barely see again!

Please don't mention the sensitivity bit on the stalk - I am convinced it's just there for show!

Has anyone had a dealer increase the sensitivity of the auto wiper such that they work as well as BMWs did 15 years ago?

Post #482064 Wed Dec 09 2015 9:23pm
The Penguin

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Glad it's not just me! 2012 RRS and has the same issue! 2012 Satorini Black SDV6 HSE
1999 S1 Lotus Elise Honda

Post #489649 Tue Mar 01 2016 10:04pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

On my 2005 the rain sensor does the front
and the adjuster alters the delay on the rear wiper.

Post #489725 Wed Mar 02 2016 1:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>