RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Do current RRS still have oil dilution problem ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

harisson

Switzerland 

@fabiofranchi
I have a MY16 bit with the EU6 motor (306hp)

Now the car has 64000km. I bought it woth 24000km and drove now ca. 40000km in ca. 20 months. Normally I drive ca. 20000km p.a.

My daily drive pattern: 2x15km to work and back.
On weekends trips from 5 to 50km one way
3, 4 times a year our holiday journey with 1000km one way

With 39000km I have done the three years service and with 54000 the car told me that it needs an inspection
Result: 6.4% oil dilution

As you mentioned: I also understand the whole situation (DPF, temperature, short trips etc.)

I am filling up nearly every time premium diesel, that means I try to fill up with FAME free ("biodiesel") diesel. The disadvantage of fame-diesel is, that it's nearly impossible to burn out the diesel which found the way into the oil
Fame free diesel has a lower "burn-temperature" (when oil reaches 60-70 degrees C is burns)

Next month the car goes to its last free service (Swiss cars have free service included in the first 4 years) and I will ask for a 1dl probe of my old oil and will send it for analysis. Then, I know how high the oil dilution really is (the car just calculates the dilution rate, but I want to know how high it really is) Range Rover Sport HST D350

Post #589153 Thu Oct 24 2019 4:59am
Estrace

France 

fabiofranchi wrote:
Hello to all,

I apologize for the bad exposure of the topic.

Every EU6 has oil dilution problems, this is a fact.

I would like to know from the real owners, if a fairly new RRS suffers from the problem to an acceptable level.

If you are a typical diesel owner who drives the car for 20k / 25k km a year, at least you shouldn't do more than one service a year. Especially if you drive a little in the city, like me.

I know that there is a passive DPF regeneration, an active DPF regeneration.
I know that the exhaust temperature must be hot enough at DPF to have a correct passive cleaning cycle, and this depends on the distance between DPF and the engine, etc, etc, etc.

But it doesn't matter much to me. I'm an owner, not an engineer.

I can assure you that these "annoyances" are a bit too "typical" of the old LR euro 6 models.
Other brands have evidently solved and I would just like to know, before a new purchase, what to expect from my next RRS.

Thank you all

Fabio

I have a RRS SDV6 bought new in May 2019
I followed the service indicator and it requested an oil change at 21500 km in end February 2020, mostly in line with the standard JLR scheduled oil change of 24000 km
I used mostly standard diesel fuel and used « super » diesel fuel only once every 5 tank full
It used the original oil from JLR and I added a total of 1 liter of the same oil in 20000 km and of course I reused the recommended oil and filter to change the oil
Following the concerns about fuel dilution in the oil on this forum and other specializes literature as well as JLR recommendations on the subject, I took a sample of the old oil and I had a specialized company perform a complete oil analysis
The result was clear, absolutely no oil dilution, 0% fuel in the old oil
For info the car was used 90% of the time on motorways at maximum speed limit, 8% on small roads, 1% off road and 1% in city, including 3000 km towing a 3,5 tonnes trailer mostly on motorways
In conclusion if you have a similar type of use, you do not need to order a gasoline RRS and you can order a 2020 diesel model without bothering about problems of fuel dilution in the oil
Apparently the problem of dilution is mostly with city driving and frequent very short trips and seems less frequent with the latest models

I hope this helps you take a decision

Cheers

Serge

Post #597252 Thu Apr 02 2020 12:27pm
fabiofranchi

Italy 

Hi Estrace,

thank you for the response.
However my patience with LR is come to an end at the end of the last year.
My use of the car is very similar to your but I was unable to have more than 5/6000 Km between two services.
It was a very frustrating situation.
Now I drive a brand new BMW X5 with an i6 3000 diesel.
But the decision was absolutly not without pain...
But, no way, IMHO Sad

Post #597397 Sun Apr 05 2020 6:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12