RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Battery Charger/ Solar battery maintainer?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

What's in the fridge?

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue
Battery Charger/ Solar battery maintainer?

Does anyone use a maintainer that can be powered with solar panel in the car? I'm not blessed with a garage or external sockets hence this approach.

Does the RRS cigarette lighter disconnect when power is off, would OBD connection approach work better?

Was thinking something like this? (note the OBD cable in accessories options)
https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ga...ner-12v-6w

Any alternatives welcome as I could hook up a CTEK* with extension but would be through front door i.e. not ideal and only be able to do that once a week etc.

*I presume this CTEK would be sufficient? (aware cheaper from Amazon just checking this would do the trick)
https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ga...ry-charger

Thanks, Thumbs Up 2008 TDV8 Buckingham Blue- SOLD

Post #587368 Mon Sep 23 2019 8:34am
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
Tim has wrote a few things about his solar on the dash charging Thumbs Up

I use a "Optimate" Yawn via the towing plug on ours, but it does get parked in the garage

Thumbs Up

just searched "dash solar charging" and found it, may help

https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic49141...r+charging Porsche Cayenne 2022
gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
gone Corris Grey HSE Dynamic 2016
gone Ipanema HSE lux 2010
gone Rimini HSE 2005
!!

Post #587372 Mon Sep 23 2019 10:28am
What's in the fridge?

Thanks had a look and Tim has newer model, but further digging came up with this thread
https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic39988.html and I've just ordered the AA one as solar +OBD is the least faf to put in and remove Thumbs Up 2008 TDV8 Buckingham Blue- SOLD

Post #587376 Mon Sep 23 2019 11:00am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

If you don't have mains power, I would get a large solar panel with the OBD connector off ebay.

Post #587377 Mon Sep 23 2019 11:01am
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

I bought the AA one with OBD connector about a year ago and I'm really pleased I did.
My car is only used about once a week (if that) and since I've been using the AA solar charger the car starts immediately, no delay and the battery has remained at full capacity through the trickle charge system.
Only thing you need to remember is to remove the OBD plug before turning the ignition or you can cause damage to the ECU'S (apparently). 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue
2005 4.2L Supercharged Java Black - gone but was my first love.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we all point our RR's in the same direction and accelerate at the same time can we turn back time?

Post #587491 Tue Sep 24 2019 10:27pm
Andy K

that's good to know. Thumbs Up

Post #587514 Wed Sep 25 2019 11:01am
What's in the fridge?

Scrumpy wrote:
I bought the AA one with OBD connector about a year ago and I'm really pleased I did.
My car is only used about once a week (if that) and since I've been using the AA solar charger the car starts immediately, no delay and the battery has remained at full capacity through the trickle charge system.
Only thing you need to remember is to remove the OBD plug before turning the ignition or you can cause damage to the ECU'S (apparently).

Do you lock your car down in access mode as well? I believe from my wanderings around here that this also helps minimises power use- although happy to be corrected if my skim reading is wrong Thumbs Up 2008 TDV8 Buckingham Blue- SOLD

Post #587516 Wed Sep 25 2019 11:09am
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Lidl's Ctek clone which gets good reviews is back on sale from 26 Sept £13.99 Thumbs Up

Post #587517 Wed Sep 25 2019 11:18am
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

Do you lock your car down in access mode as well? I believe from my wanderings around here that this also helps minimises power use- although happy to be corrected if my skim reading is wrong Thumbs Up[/quote]

Never needed to put it in access mode as the solar charger keeps the battery at full capacity. I believe that’s to shut down the ECU’s rather than leave them in standby if car is going to be idle for a long period of time. 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue
2005 4.2L Supercharged Java Black - gone but was my first love.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we all point our RR's in the same direction and accelerate at the same time can we turn back time?

Post #587532 Wed Sep 25 2019 3:16pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

If you keep your car garaged in a garage that has no power supply it is now possible to get outside mounted small solar panels with long enough leads to get inside the garage.
The thing with putting it in access mode is to do with sleep mode for the ECUs, basically if you lower the car and lock it the system will automatically go into sleep mode after 10 minutes IIRC. If you don’t then the security system keeps the car in a sort of standby mode, alert all the time for your key fob. It will consume power all the time staying ready to go - a bit like putting your TV/ computer etc into standby rather than switching it off completely.
With my PHEV I still connect up my solar panel to keep the 12v battery for the Petrol engine to keep that fully charged as it doesn’t draw power from the electric motor battery to keep it charged - with the big battery I can leave it plugged into a 13 amp socket for up to 4 months with the charging set to lowest rate and on the off peak charge timer - it will also self heat the battery if it gets very cold outside but only if the car is plugged into the mains. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #587535 Wed Sep 25 2019 3:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
What's in the fridge?

Lindab wrote:
Lidl's Ctek clone which gets good reviews is back on sale from 26 Sept £13.99 Thumbs Up

Too late bought a CTEK via Amazon as needed it speedy as car didn't want to play Big Cry . I've topped up the water, was tiny bit low, and ran a CTEK recondition mode over night (after taking the battery out....Jeeeebus it's heavy!!!)

Just put back in and all seems tickety boo, and started first twist no problem, gave it 10 mins or so running as to give the engine a gentle warm through (short on time otherwise I'd have taken it for a proper run), lets see if it starts tomorrow (locked down in access mode...every little helps Whistle ).

The AA solar panel thingy is due to arrive Saturday to keep it topped up.

Thanks all for help / feedback etc Thumbs Up will report back 2008 TDV8 Buckingham Blue- SOLD

Post #587539 Wed Sep 25 2019 4:30pm
Andy K

people have previously moaned about the reliability of the Lidl charger.

But I may not be able to restrain myself Rolling Eyes

Post #587546 Wed Sep 25 2019 5:04pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

From what I have read about the Lidl charger there is only a problem if there is a power cut. It does not restart, you have to switch it back on. How many power cuts do you get? To be honest I dont know if my Ctek restarts automatically in these circumstances. Anyway if I had a power cut I am sure I would check any live sockets. For 14 quid its a no brainer if I did not already have a battery conditioner.

Post #587551 Wed Sep 25 2019 5:36pm
Andy K

The later cteks with status row of lights restart on power cut

Post #587559 Wed Sep 25 2019 7:15pm
Andy K

Lidl is 5A which is good for RRS

Post #587644 Thu Sep 26 2019 9:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>