RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > L494 air con leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Dizzydog

United Kingdom 
L494 air con leak

Hi there , I’ve A 2014 RRS with rear air con (rear seats that is not the boot) and had the air con re gassed as wasn’t blowing cold, lasted 3 to 4 weeks , and now not cold again. Been checked by LR main dealer (who also did the re gas) The car is now back with the dealer I bought it from, and they are struggling to find a leak, been pressurised with nitrogen and dye, and while on the machine no drop in pressure !
My question is has anyone else had this problem? And is there a known weak spot, perhaps in the rear somewhere ?

Post #584991 Mon Aug 05 2019 4:31pm
CornishRob

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

I guess you may have fixed this now, but thought I would reply, so it's on-the-record, as it were.

Usually it's the condenser that fails, so the usual procedure is to get it re-gassed with the dye added, and look for leaks with UV light. However, the leak can take a while to show itself, ie unless you have a big leak, it takes a few days for the dye to stain the hole sufficiently so you can spot it.

So don't worry if they re-gas it, then can't find a leak. Drive around for a week, then take it back, and the leak will be quite obvious. Thumbs Up

Post #585806 Sun Aug 25 2019 9:03am
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Buuuut, it is illegal to regas a car knowing there is a leak in the AC system...

The CORRECT procedure is to pressurise the system with Nitrogen, and use either soapy bubbles or a sniffer to detect any leaks, repair as req, retest with Nitrogen, and if all is OK, then regas Thumbs Up

In addition, most of the R1234 machines do not have an allowance for adding dye to the system

Post #585808 Sun Aug 25 2019 10:03am
CornishRob

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

Quote:
Buuuut, it is illegal to regas a car knowing there is a leak in the AC system...

The CORRECT procedure is to pressurise the system with Nitrogen, and use either soapy bubbles or a sniffer to detect any leaks, repair as req, retest with Nitrogen, and if all is OK, then regas Thumbs Up

In addition, most of the R1234 machines do not have an allowance for adding dye to the system

Fair enough, I didn't know this, I was just relating what happened to me when I had mine fixed this year, and that it took a while for the leak to become evident.

Post #585828 Sun Aug 25 2019 4:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1