RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > EPB (parking brake) seized in off position
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

PC76

United Kingdom 
EPB (parking brake) seized in off position

Afternoon all, after a quick search of the forum i cant see that anyone has mentioned about the hand brake being seized in the off position.

i was parking on a slight incline so decided to apply the parking brake and the deadly squeel sounded. Big Cry but to my amazement the parkging brake was not engauged and i could drive without worry. (thankfully as i was over 300 miles from home on day one of four of site visits around northern Scotland)

i tried the unjam procedure with my Gap IId tool and this failed three times with nothing moving. (except the squeel) has anyone expericend this before and if so what was the cure?

im thankfully back home now with no other issues......

Post #582804 Fri Jun 21 2019 3:34pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

That's a stroke of luck,,,, or not, whichever way you look at it. I think I would be stripping down the rear brakes and make sure nothing has sized,,, if that's fine and it still squeals I would think the module would be the next port of call. 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #582813 Fri Jun 21 2019 5:34pm
LandPhil

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Ipanema Sand

You said in your post that as you were on a slope you decided to apply the EPB. To me that says that you don’t always use it.
There is a saying that “If you don’t use it you lose it.” I have always believed that and always apply the EPB after stopping and selecting “N.” Releasing the foot brake to allow the car to roll onto the EPB then selecting “P.” That prevents the car holding on the gearbox pawl.

Sorry to hear you problem hope you get it to work.

Post #582815 Fri Jun 21 2019 5:53pm
PC76

United Kingdom 

Hi Phil,

I don't use it when on the flat which is to be honest 90% of the time. although I do ensure it is used at least two to three time a month if I'm not on any of my site visits. (my sites usually need either small amounts of off road driving or farm access tracks to get to them.)

it's defiantly the module, I guess I will need to remove and sort it out.

can they be repaired (if so what's involved) or do I just swap it?

Post #582851 Sat Jun 22 2019 3:29pm
Camelrock

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Tangiers Orange

You need to try and unjam the actuator with a diagnostic tool, normally they jam in the on position so could be something like a snapped cable or a problem in the drum. They are a top hat system so you need to remove the discs. 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
2018 Discovery 5 HSE lux current
1994 Dakar current

Post #582852 Sat Jun 22 2019 5:57pm
Father Jack

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Probably truth in use it or lose it. I always put it on when parked. Clue is in the name EPB. That's what it is there for.

Post #582879 Sun Jun 23 2019 11:22am
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

I’ve started to apply mine every time I park up now even though I have the L494 with the newer system,,it’s surprising how many automatic cars I fail mot time on park brake & the first thing the customers say is,,But I don’t use it I just put it in park. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #582886 Sun Jun 23 2019 12:10pm
syl

United Kingdom 

My L494 applies it automatically every time anyway. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #582891 Sun Jun 23 2019 1:20pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Mine doesn’t.I think that is on the later models.Ive had 2x my14’s & the my15 I have now & none come on automatically Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #582893 Sun Jun 23 2019 1:32pm
PC76

United Kingdom 

Evening all,

now that I have a free weekend I plan on freeing the mechanism but I want to ensure I have all the required tools for a successful attempt.

could someone please confirm the required tools to complete on the drive....

thx

Post #587819 Mon Sep 30 2019 10:24pm
derekmines

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

LandPhil wrote:
You said in your post that as you were on a slope you decided to apply the EPB. To me that says that you don’t always use it.
There is a saying that “If you don’t use it you lose it.” I have always believed that and always apply the EPB after stopping and selecting “N.” Releasing the foot brake to allow the car to roll onto the EPB then selecting “P.” That prevents the car holding on the gearbox pawl.

Sorry to hear you problem hope you get it to work.

Sadly that is definitely not the case... I was told the same thing so had been religiously applying my EPB every time (the module was replaced a few months before I bought the car)
Unfortunately even this daily use didn't stop it from locking on and leaving me stuck in the middle of the night miles from home (the emergency release didn't work either)

Having just got the car back after spending >£600 on module, discs, pads, shoes, cables etc I have decided I won't be using the EPB at all, but will pay an extra hour of labour to my mechanic to clean the system before he does the MOT each year.

Post #587827 Tue Oct 01 2019 8:28am
Bardley

United Kingdom 

The EPB needs maintenance. Whether that be by mileage or yearly, it needs doing.
Sadly there seems to be many reports of seized units, which is either by owners not doing any checks, or their chosen garages simply failing in their service promises. Bear in mind that these are internal parts and cannot be visually checked by an owner with no mechanical knowledge. It has become a known breakdown and totally disabling issue, so can cost dearly if left.

The comments of owners not using the system in fear of over using it simply does not stand up to reason. If the units are maintained, then they will be fine. The brake drum and shoes setup has been in use for many many years, and was fine, but a known service point needing correct adjustment. It was the main braking system on many cars (front & rear), and still is on the rear of smaller hatches etc.
Shoes/ rubbing points, springs and adjustment are all crucial. Using a tool to set the electronic unit into service mode is also important.
Applying the brake, then selecting 'P' is good advice. The pawl in the gearbox is not designed to hold the weight of the car. It is merely a 'parked' position for the gearbox. Just a word. 2011 MY D4 HSE
Previously 2001 D2 TD5, 1996 D1 300Tdi, 1985 90 2.2 petrol.
Bikes! KTM, BMW, British, Classics and others.

Post #587828 Tue Oct 01 2019 9:44am
PC76

United Kingdom 

totaly agree it needs to be correctly maintained.

I had fitted new pads two months earlier and was using the parking brake but it has jammed in the off position.

if someone could please confirm what tools they use to get the cover off and the mechanism released then i would be very greatful as i wont have another free weekend for some weeks.

Thanks

Post #587835 Tue Oct 01 2019 11:55am
Bardley

United Kingdom 

New Pads meaning brake pads... these are shoes (The handbrake shoes), so no telling if the discs were taken off and the Shoes inspected and cleaned, lubed & adjusted correctly? Again, the adjustment has it's foibles that many fall foul of. The shoes are adjusted using an old style wheel, and there is a cam that has to be slackened using an allen key, the drum tapped, and then the allen key locked up. This is often never done.
If that's the case, this is exactly what happens when unsuspecting owners think they have had their brakes done. The breakdown then comes as a shock. There are two braking systems. 2011 MY D4 HSE
Previously 2001 D2 TD5, 1996 D1 300Tdi, 1985 90 2.2 petrol.
Bikes! KTM, BMW, British, Classics and others.

Post #587838 Tue Oct 01 2019 12:36pm
PC76

United Kingdom 

Bardley, sorry for not being specific...

i personally replaced both the brake pads, shoes & bearings. so i accept full responsibility for the impropper adjustment.

All i need to know is what tools (other standard) are required to open up the cover and manually release the jammed mechanisim.

ie long driver / sockets etc (lengths would be good to know)

i have tried the unjam routine in the IID tool which did not work, and i assume this is making the situation worse as the handbrake is in the off position...

Post #587845 Tue Oct 01 2019 4:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>