RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Price of Range Rovers plummeting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Tom_w_27

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver
Price of Range Rovers plummeting

What's everyone opinion on this? It seems to me over the last 12months the price has gone through the floor.
Seeing 2009-2010 autobiography's with 100k mileage for less than £10k.
Pressure to buy smaller petrol engines is working? Big Cry

Post #582638 Wed Jun 19 2019 9:13am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Based on a Forum Members recent adventures I would be sceptical if it is even a genuine A/B. Whistle

Cheers
Col

Post #582639 Wed Jun 19 2019 9:27am
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I think that with the governments hatred of big diesel engined cars it has affected the price and desirability of Range Rover vehicles along with similar vehicles from other manufacturers.

I must admit that I was shocked when my L494 was valued as a PX against a like for like car. My initial plan was to trade in for a MY20 Discovery however, after looking at reviews from current owners and the cars future residual value, I decided to sell my RRS and plod around in my old L322.

If you go on to Auto Trader you will see various Land Rover / Range Rover cars there that have been up for sale for 3 to 4 months +. It is the same for other manufacturers that offer “big diesels”.

I think that we all accept that a change is coming in car power train technology. The problem we have is that we don’t really know how this shift will affect us in the short term...

Just my thoughts.

Jim

Post #582642 Wed Jun 19 2019 9:47am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Just look at the Approved Used website and see how many are listed and at top book value and dealers have no space left on their forecourts to take older cars as well. There is a glut of good late plate used cars and that is pushing down values of older cars. Land Rovers lack of action over snapping cranks on 3.0ltr diesels and over ambitious prices for new build cars puts people off. It will only get worse too as I get the impression that dyed in the wool LR buyers are abandoning the brand over high prices, dealerships being rude/ignorant and lazy and, probably a big factor for many is that some of the most popular models will no longer be built in the UK. For private buyers like me UK built and affordable prices were major factors in my buying choice but I will no long support JLR if the cars I am interested in are no longer assembled in the UK, might as well get a 7 year warranty and buy a cheap Korean car - at least the dealers know how to look after customers when things go wrong. My pay rises (none in the last 10 years) have not kept up with JLR’s price rises over the same period which now precludes me from buying another new RRS, Evoque, D5 or Disco Sport and dealer prices for late plate nearly new pre-reg cars is almost the same as a factory ordered car. Possibly lots of cars coming to the end of their PCP/Finance agreement periods is also not helping keep numbers of used cars off the forecourts 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #582662 Wed Jun 19 2019 2:21pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

If you don't need to drive in to low emissions zones, the dropping prices is a good thing as you can pick up a lot of vehicle for your money. If you do need to go in to LEZ / ULEZ, then get an electric car and be done with it. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #582663 Wed Jun 19 2019 2:26pm
GodivaNige

England 

I recently sold my 2009 TDV8 which wanted for nothing, was in lovely order and during my ownership, had no expense spared to keep it as good as it could realistically be, for £12K less than I paid for it 3 years ago. I tried very hard but couldn’t sell it for more.

While I miss owning and driving it, I’ll never buy another big 4x4 again. I thought it would be a good buy when I bought it in 2016, with most of its depreciation taken care of I’d be buying something that I wouldn’t lose too much on by adding approx 20,000 miles to an already very low mileage example over 3-4 years. I couldn’t have been more wrong. The war on big heavy thirsty diesels took its toll and its value dropped by a lot more than I was expecting.

While many owners knowingly take much larger financial hits in depreciation when buying later model or new cars, especially high end exec 4x4’s, I’m afraid for me at least, the money I lost far outweighed the joy of ownership.

My nephew bought his 2009 Ford Focus RS 3 years ago, for £21K. Hes just sold it for £20K after adding 30,000 miles to it.
Proper smug he is. Rolling Eyes Censored

Post #582683 Wed Jun 19 2019 7:08pm
AW8

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
If you do need to go in to LEZ / ULEZ, then get an electric car and be done with it.

I will be driving into ULEZ tomorrow 2nd time within a week.. Fortunately mine is ULEZ exempt & lower car tax than brand new models..

I drove across 3 counties today and saw indicated 28 mpg (yes ...I know - computers lie !

Running a 14 year old V8 petrol RRS as a daily isn't for the faint hearted (more for the brave &/or foolish), however, it's nice to be able to beat the ULEZ, post March 2006 emission road tax hikes, rip.off new car tax .....all whilst generally keeping away from main dealer showrooms

Post #582689 Wed Jun 19 2019 9:16pm
Father Jack

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Tim is right. JLR are taking the pCensored sh. Just consider the jacking up of the price of an RRS2 vs RRS1 and the reduction in kit. Much as I love my RRS, despite its occasional wallet emptying tendencies, this will be my last JLR product.

Post #582697 Wed Jun 19 2019 10:05pm
BKHK

Australia 

From the comments on here and the fact that people like me who have had 6 RRs of various models and should be a loyal customer, it’s clear that JLR has got some big problems. New prices are 30% too high, the dealers (In the UK) seem to be mediocre and they are not standing by their product.

Post #582703 Thu Jun 20 2019 2:28am
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

In two years of owning my last L494 HSE I estimate that depreciation, based on the best price I could achieve when sold, was £1123 per month.

I am now driving a 2 owner 2005 L322 Full Fat with 98,000 miles on the clockwhich I picked up for £5000. I would like to think that depreciation will now run at less than £100 per month and the remaining £1000, that my L494 was consistently loosing, will be put into a pot for repairs and maintenance.

My whole mindset on car ownership is changing to one of not being that bothered by the model year and new car smell and just owning older cars that I enjoy driving.

From this

To this

Jim

Post #582712 Thu Jun 20 2019 9:46am
Father Jack

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I agree with Jim. With the exception of one company car (an evoque) I have never had a new car. I would never buy new as a private owner, the depreciation alone is a good reason not to.

Post #582716 Thu Jun 20 2019 11:31am
RRT

United Kingdom 

I have recently bought a 19 month old 4.4d V8 AB, 13k miles for £30+k under new. I am looking to keep this car for many (15 to 20) years and expect to take a hit of £50k over that time.

My thoughts were I could buy a new Kia SUV every 3 years and loose probably £15k a time and never have the lovely car that an RRS is and over the 15 years that would equate to £75+k (at today's money). I think on that basis the RRS comes out on top even after maintenance costs - time will tell. MY17 RRS 4.4d V8 Autobiography - Aintree Green (also referred to on Topix as British Racing Green)

Post #582717 Thu Jun 20 2019 11:54am
DrRob

United Kingdom 

Ditto
Bought a 2011 full fat 4.4TDV8 with FSH. Needed a few things doing - don't they all.
Paid a shade over £17K for it with 82K miles.
Love it and I don't have to visit a main LR dealer again if I can help it. Use a local indy!
Proactive maintenance! https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic44115-75.html
Rob Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #582718 Thu Jun 20 2019 12:15pm
MrGimper

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

Col wrote:
Based on a Forum Members recent adventures I would be sceptical if it is even a genuine A/B. Whistle

Cheers
Col

TruDat Rolling with laughter

Post #582720 Thu Jun 20 2019 12:45pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I have been watching the approved used website for weeks as, while I really like the Countryman and my 1996 90, I do want to reduce to one car that can cover on and off road rather than have two, one for each occasion. There are some great buys on dealers forecourts for 5 year old 50,000 mile L405 TDv6’s at around £40k that I have been watching slow decrease in asking price that I would trade my Countryman against like a shot and cancel my order for a 2020 Defender and sell my 90. The 90 has not been a money pit in any way, in fact it is worth a darned sight more now than I paid for it in 2001 as an approved used car! As my annual miles has dropped to around 7000 from 14,000 in the last 3 years an higher miles car soon gets to be an average miles car in my hands! My Defender had 54000 miles on it 2001, it now has 91000 miles which is actually well below average miles for similar age Defenders that I see advertised. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #582721 Thu Jun 20 2019 12:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>